gas stain and busted gas line - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2008, 9:43 pm Thread Starter
Noob

gas stain and busted gas line

hey people. on a recent trip i did a slow speed drop of my bike. at that time i thought everthing was ok except for a few scrapes on my fairing and a bruised ego. well little did i know that 300 miles later i had a busted gas line right at the quick disconnect checkvalve. well thanks to the help of some of the most friendly people in cornicopia wisconsin i got the problem temporarily fixed. now what i need from this forum is 1, to find a knew check valve,and 2, the best way to clean the gasoline tarnish off of my magnisium engine block. hope somebody can help me at least with the cleanup. thanks,ken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2008, 10:12 pm
Will ride for picts

What the forum needs from you is to use the search function. You'll see lots of posts on this very common failure.

Sierra Cement: Good for skis, bad for knees.

www.rhhall.smugmug.com
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2008, 10:31 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1plumffr
hey people. on a recent trip i did a slow speed drop of my bike. at that time i thought everthing was ok except for a few scrapes on my fairing and a bruised ego. well little did i know that 300 miles later i had a busted gas line right at the quick disconnect checkvalve. well thanks to the help of some of the most friendly people in cornicopia wisconsin i got the problem temporarily fixed. now what i need from this forum is 1, to find a knew check valve,and 2, the best way to clean the gasoline tarnish off of my magnisium engine block. hope somebody can help me at least with the cleanup. thanks,ken
Most of the members bought their chrome-plated brass QD's from here:http://www.omega.com/
Phone# 1-800-622-2378, ask for "Steve @ ext.2520, or plug in the part number in the "search".

You can also order on-line, to make 1 complete QD, order: 1) FT-LCD170-05-FKM (female end) list$ 26.00 and 1) FT-LCD220-05-FKM (male end) list $16.00. The suffix "FKM" is generic for Viton o-rings.
This makes one complete QD.
You should replace both plastic QDs.

They are now available from A&S BMW and other fine dealers. Although they are not selling chrome-plated brass QDs.

I used "Simple Green" with a scrub brush to get most of the gas stain off. I wish I knew of a way to remove all of the stain.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 2008, 7:43 am
Addict

when fuel leaked on my valve cover i tried everything to get it off with no luck, when i took the bike in for service they replaced the valve cover under warrenty and the tech told me nothing would get the stain out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode