Mod what you've got, or buy more than one? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 2:26 pm Thread Starter

Mod what you've got, or buy more than one?

Like most people that frequent this board, the purchase of my bike (K 1200 R Sport) turned out to be only the initial outlay. I've subsequently bought luggage, lights, GPS, etc., and have come to see the bike as an always-ready excuse to buy something new... the next got-to-have-it add-on.

Still, my mods pale in comparison to what some guys that post here have done. In particular, I've stayed away from substantive performance mods, in part because I'm not that great mechanically, but in part because of the expense and because many such mods improve one thing but compromise something else.

What I've realized from a few quick calculations, however, is that some people have spent in mods to one bike enough money to make a sizeable down payment on another bike. For example, if I want my KR Sport to be lighter, louder, and faster, do I spend four or five grand to make that happen, or do I just go down to the local Yammy dealer and pick up an R1? Or, for a more flickable alternative, how about a Duc Hypermotard, or what about the SuperDuke? (OK, I know, there are continuing maintenance and insurance costs to consider with a second bike.)

Where's the balance point? Maybe there isn't one... Maybe people mod for the satisfaction of personalization and exercise of their skills, as much as for the notion that they're making a demonstrably better motorcycle than can be purchased off of any showroom floor. I do get the sense that meaningful mods demonstrate real ownership of a machine perhaps more than anything else can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 12:25 am
Veteran

I wouldn't be so quick to say you will spend a lot of money on mods. You need to obtain balance my son.

Just do what I do:
Go out and push it over on one side.
Then pick it up, and and push it over on the other side.

When your all done, step back and admire your moddy handiwork.

Can't stand it?
Your BMW dealer will mod it back for you for maybe five to seven thousand dollars.

At least it will keep that foolish notion of going to a Yammy or some other dealership to buy some other bike that you can also can mod out of your mind for a while.

Works for me.

Mack
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2008, 12:18 pm

Maybe it's time to consider a supercharger small enough... Or turbo. MUAHAHAHAHA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2008, 2:46 pm

Talking

Whatever happened to the idea of buying a BMW (i'm thinking of my old (now sold) 1974 R-75/6) and just riding 100,000 plus miles with very few mods other than a Boyer Electronic Ignition.

My times have changed.......remember He who dies with the most toys is still dead)

Regards; Dave
1987 K-100 RS
One life, live it........!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 2008, 4:04 pm Thread Starter

I'd mod heavily if I was in it for the 100K long haul

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGeezer
Whatever happened to the idea of buying a BMW (i'm thinking of my old (now sold) 1974 R-75/6) and just riding 100,000 plus miles with very few mods other than a Boyer Electronic Ignition.

My times have changed.......remember He who dies with the most toys is still dead)
I don't rack up much more than 12K or so miles in any given year; most of my riding is work commuting and Saturday back-road runs. If I was going to keep the same bike for 100K miles at that pace, I'd definitely view mods as a good long term investment. I'm more curious about mods done in a shorter ownership period, say three to five years. Rather than spending $$$ on poor-or-no-payback mods during that shorter time frame, maybe you'd be better off just saving for a down payment on a new bike.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 2008, 6:01 pm
Addict

First thing is, quit lookin' at all the cool supplier websites!!

Really though, my thoughts are almost the opposite regarding long term on a bike and mods.

Mod's to me are things you don't 'really' need, like a pipe for instance. When things wear out, I do install the best I can buy if its important, like chains/sprockets/suspension, driveability type-stuff.

And I do run my bikes to 100k plus as long as the 'value' is still there and my body is still in-sync with the comfort levels (sport versus touring, etc). At my age, each year goes exponential so you never know what the next year will bring

so my thoughts regarding mods are, if I'm running this bike into the ground, why do I want to bother with mods? Unless I'm going to buy they same model and the mods are interchangeable.

Besides, it costs plenty enuff just to keep a bike comfy, ie, seats, shocks (THAT is where i put my money, ohlins, penske, etc) but i only replace them when they are a problem for me (like, stock seats, they last about a week).

I sure have argued with myself plenty on this issue before, I think its a common biker malady (disease maybe?)_

and daymmit, I STILL want a remus!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 2008, 8:47 am Thread Starter

Malady for sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldbikin
...Besides, it costs plenty enuff just to keep a bike comfy, ie, seats, shocks (THAT is where i put my money, ohlins, penske, etc) but i only replace them when they are a problem for me (like, stock seats, they last about a week)....
You make some good points, and I think it makes a lot of sense to make your initial investments in comfort and safety. (The first thing I bought was caliper-mounted Motolights; very nice.) I'd like to get a nice pipe, better seat, and CF belly pan. Because that simple list maps into a few thousand bucks, I'll probably be stuck in the wanting mode for quite awhile.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 2008, 1:05 pm
Enthusiast

Garage
This got me thinking about the "mods' to my K12GT

Tank pad (fat belly and zippers)
Rear hugger/ inner fender (keep the crap off the shock so it last longer)
Top box (came from the previous bike) helps when the wife packs for a weeks ride.
New Seat (just cause I'm vertically challenged, German parents and grandparents so I fit a BMW seat)
Better Horn
GPS (I still get lost, but now I can find the short way home)

Though long and hard about the Remus, but decided just to be quiet.

'07 K1200GT Crystal Gray Metalic
'00 Ducati 900 Monster

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode