WY weather - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2008, 12:30 am Thread Starter

WY weather

Hey all, I really don't where to post this so i will start here......A K1200S buddy and i are planning on a 5 day Yellowstone trip in mid to late Sept. We are leaving from Cen Cal thru Yosemite straight thru Cen NV and north to ID and up thru the Tetons. On the way back we are cuttin across ID and So OR to a buddies place in Alturas, CA. What is the weather like that time of year in WY? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2008, 8:49 am
Veteran

Dunno, but I hit snow around Mammoth Lakes, CA last year going to the "Street Vibrations Rally" in Reno near the end of September. Also hit more of it a 5am the next morning as well as some rain and mud avalanches around Tahoe. Some Harley riders from So. Calif. hit it, turned purple, and headed back. Luckily, I had heated gear. High desert gets damn cold at night too.

You can go to Weatherunderground.com (sp?) and search their town's archives for temps and weather for past dates and years along your route. Might give you a better idea as what to expect.

Mack
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2008, 10:58 am
Will ride for picts

My first Iron Butt ride was Minden to Denver in October 2005, riding across I-80. Caught a bit of freezing fog on some of the passes in Nevada and in Wyoming.

You can catch snow and freezing temps at the mountain passes in September. The snow usually doesn't stick, and you can still travel in the wheel tracks, but it will be cold. You'll be fine if you have Gerbings or other heated gear. Keep an eye on the weather in the off-chance that a nasty cold front is coming through. Be prepared to stop and wait-out a storm if necessary.

Don't come near Reno if Street Vibrations is going on... area is full of RUBS, once-a-year, and bar-to-bar riders. I'm embarrassed to be on a motorcycle that week, the packs running red lights, obnoxious pipes, and acting like idiots make us all look bad. They also tend to clog up the best roads nearby. I always plan a vacation that weekend to get out of the area.

Sierra Cement: Good for skis, bad for knees.

www.rhhall.smugmug.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2008, 11:20 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhhall
Don't come near Reno if Street Vibrations is going on... area is full of RUBS, once-a-year, and bar-to-bar riders. I'm embarrassed to be on a motorcycle that week, the packs running red lights, obnoxious pipes, and acting like idiots make us all look bad. They also tend to clog up the best roads nearby. I always plan a vacation that weekend to get out of the area.
"Why is it that the Nevada Highway Patrol that week really pulls some weird stuff?"

Last year they had a portable sign as you ride into CA at the state line that said "Nevada Law Requires Helmets!" People were commenting that it should have been "On the other side of the road facing riders going into Nevada."

But, yeah. It is an interesting group of RUBS and they tend to ignore BMW's as much as they can - but that's what makes it fun too. Some aren't bad. One actually helped me pick that pig of a GT up when I dropped it cutting into a gas station. Even stopped his bike in the middle of a busy highway blocking traffic, ran over, uprighted it, and ran off in a flash.

Mack
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 2008, 1:15 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack
Dunno, but I hit snow around Mammoth Lakes, CA last year going to the "Street Vibrations Rally" in Reno near the end of September. Also hit more of it a 5am the next morning as well as some rain and mud avalanches around Tahoe. Some Harley riders from So. Calif. hit it, turned purple, and headed back. Luckily, I had heated gear. High desert gets damn cold at night too.

You can go to Weatherunderground.com (sp?) and search their town's archives for temps and weather for past dates and years along your route. Might give you a better idea as what to expect.

Mack
Hey! we must have passed each other! I was on my around CA in 3 days ride that weekend. From FresYes to Bakrsfld to 395 via 178 north thru Mammoth in the SNOW and all the way to Susanville! Seriously wierd weather for Sept in CA for sure! 2nd and 3rd day over to Crescent City and down 1 to SF and onto King city and back 198 to Hanford. Snow, rain, 60mph wind and 100 degree sun all in 3 days. Crazy. Snow and cross winds are something i don't ever want to do again on a GT. Now my KLR is a different story. That bike is straight fun in the snow and i don't care if it falls over.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 2008, 8:14 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccii42104
Hey! we must have passed each other! I was on my around CA in 3 days ride that weekend. From FresYes to Bakrsfld to 395 via 178 north thru Mammoth in the SNOW and all the way to Susanville! Seriously wierd weather for Sept in CA for sure! 2nd and 3rd day over to Crescent City and down 1 to SF and onto King city and back 198 to Hanford. Snow, rain, 60mph wind and 100 degree sun all in 3 days. Crazy. Snow and cross winds are something i don't ever want to do again on a GT. Now my KLR is a different story. That bike is straight fun in the snow and i don't care if it falls over.
Yeah. That was a strange weather thing going on.

When I stopped in Bishop, some woman riding with "her husband" (she couldn't be "his girlfriend" as the language she was using was much too colorful!) was unloading on him about freezing on the back of his Harley. She was dressed as though it was going to be hot or something in the desert town of Reno. I think they left to buy her some real clothes before trying the pass at Mammoth again. Least I was forewarned and suited up. Still, I saw a lot of purple-faced southbounders on Harley's heading back to Bishop to warm up.

I left around 5am couple of days later to make some distance and a woman came up to me and said "Are you crazy? It's freezing and raining out there!" - and she was right.

Maybe I am...

Mack

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode