hello all - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 2008, 11:10 pm Thread Starter

hello all

Good day to all!
Well, I've taken the plunge and gone and bought myself a 1987 K100LT with just over 93000 kilometers (just under 58000 miles).
I will be picking it up on August 23rd, flying out to Ottawa to pick it up and driving it back the 549 km's to home.
After reading a lot on this wonderful site, it would appear that these can be amazing bikes, but also quirky as well.
Since I also own a VW Jetta, I am getting used to having vehicles with "character".

Right now the bike is running a bit rough, the mechanic thinks it might just be spark plugs, but I mentioned to him to also check the hose that runs from the back of the engine up to the air box, I read in a few places that could cause some running issues.

Other then that, mechanically she seems to be in good shape (tires are 90%, brakes are 80%), paint is only about 60% on her which suggests to me that she was well ridden and enjoyed, but taken care of.

I'm very much looking forward to finally riding a bike from what I consider to be the best MC manufacturer in the world, albeit an earlier version.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6752659_jpg.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	8639  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 2008, 11:39 pm
Addict-oholic

Welcom! You will enjoy the banter and information that can be had on this site. We have a few posters who can be testy or grumpy, but all is meant well. You will like it here. Enjoy the ride home!

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 2008, 3:13 am
Addict

Congrats Dood, enjoy the ride!

Black stuff down, Shiny side up!______________________________
10 R1200RTSE
02 R1100S
07 K1200GT R.I.P.
86 K100RS Sold
07 R1200GSA Sold
07 Softail Heritage Sold
86 K100RS Sold
82 R100RS Sold
82 Suzi GSX1100 Sold
75 Honda 750/4 Sold
74 Yamaha XS650 Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 2008, 4:30 am
Rookie

Welcome and congrats

"If I can't smoke cigars in heaven then I won't go"
"Improvise, Adapt and Overcome"
"No one said it would be a rose garden"
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 6:56 pm
Enthusiast

K100

Congrats on your new purchase. I guess sleeping tonight may not be so good. The K100 engine is darn near bulletproof. When you get it home I would change all of the fluids if they have not been changed recently. Fluids are the least expensive maintenance you can do for your bike. I would definitely change the plugs as well.

'05 R1200RT, Ruby, as in RED, (current garage queen)
'04 R1150RT, '99 Ducati 748 BiPosto, '93 Seca II, '93 K1100RS, '83 Yamaha Maxim 750,
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2008, 10:36 pm Thread Starter

Well, a 45 minute trip in the plane turned into an 8 hour scenic trip back with stops.
559 kms, and I'm ready for bed.
Boy, I've read that this sucker gets hot on the legs, but holy hannah, I had to keep sticking my knees out to cool down.
Maybe I'm freakish, I'm 6' 1" which isn't super tall, but when I sit in the saddle my knees are literally pressing into the fairing.
I don't recall reading that anyone els has this problem, I must have very long upper legs.
I will have to work out a thin padding to put on the fairing, any suggestions anyone?

I will also have to search for an extended side cover post to see if anyone has figured a way to redirect the heat.

It looks like the bike was in a low speed drop, the right hand mirror and saddle bag are scuffed. It has an engine guard, so no damage there.
I will hopefully get the bike painted this winter, so will have the painter prep it first.

The heated grips only seem to work on the right handle bar, and the radio appears not to have any power, other then that it seems ok. Any ideas are certainly welcome.

The dealer put in a new battery and new plugs, and they couldn't figure how to open the trunk , but once I did I found a plastic zip-lock bag in there with old plug wires and what I believe is probably an old timing chain, so I think the PO changed these out relatively recently before trading in the bike.

It's certainly an Autobahn inspired vehicle... running it between 50 and 60 MPH, the bike feels like it's chomping at the bit.... it's not even happy until you hit 75 MPH, then it starts to shine. It's not bad slower, it just really feels like it wants to go faster.

Hopefully I will be able to post some pics in the next few days.
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 2008, 12:06 pm

Here is a thread that discusses heat issues.

http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showth...ghlight=guards

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode