BMW Squids? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 2008, 6:58 am Thread Starter
Veteran

BMW Squids?

I don't mean to be negative A-hole, but....... Lately, i've noticed a large sum of BMW riders riding around in shorts, t-shirts, tennis shoes, and even flip-flops. I have been riding for quit a few years and the one thing i've always noticed is that dudes that ride BMW's wear gear 99% of the time. At least jackets, gloves, helmets, boots, and most wear riding pants. At least wear pants on a motorcycle.

I am not sure if this is a regional phenomenon/occurrence, since i live in a town filled with people with expendable money, but usually these guys are riding the GS's. I'm not taking a stab at the dual sport crowd, but could this be a migration of the RUB's from riding "Hogs" to riding the next "cool thing?"

Just an observation. It is just a BMW rider without gear stands out as much as a Harley rider with a DOT approved helmet.

06 K1200R,76 Yamaha RD400 VOID 7/08 ,03 Kawi ZX-6R VOID 10/10/06, 94 Suzuki GSXR-750 VOID, 85 Yamaha FJ1100 VOID
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 2008, 8:55 am
Addict

It's just one side effect of the widened BMW appeal: the bikes appeal also to a "casual" audience, guys that up until a couple of years ago wouldn't have considered BMWs because they were totally uncool...

CYA, Ed

Edoardo Licciardello

To drive is human
to ride divine
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 2008, 12:16 pm
Rookie

I guess it depends where you live. In Florida in July- September it is so hot and humid that wearing full gear is very uncomfortable. Even mesh gear is hot, I always wear my helmet ... but in the summer it's t-shirt and jeans... but never flip flops. Don't forget since long way round, then long way down your going to get the crowd buying GS's and thinking they're Charlie and Ewen.

Bill
87 K75S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 2008, 12:42 pm
Enthusiast

EIA - Evolution In Action
They come in all sizes & backgrounds as well.

'91 K75S
'06 K1200S
BMWMOA # 119240
Yankee Beemer # 153
NRA # 154764753
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 2008, 12:47 pm
JCW
contributor

All it takes is one get off to convince you to wear gear. My brother wore gear when he lowsided his bike. Still broke his ankle and got some road rash, but looking at his helmet, he might have been dead.

I figure you get what you deserve. Don't wear gear, pay the price if you go down, and don't expect tears from me. So it doesn't bother me too much.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 2008, 5:59 pm
Veteran

If you got the doe...BMW got the bike....kid on the corner buys one...there you have it...just like any thing else.....the market will pull in....so Jap,Italin,...dont matter....Thats who BMW wanted to sell to.....so thats that.....I know It sucks...but what are you going to do?.......But maybe when it comes time to fix it they wont have the brains or the money $$$$$...and it will soon thin out......NEW FAD?...One good thing....the bike will last a long time....so its not like they can just throw it away and get a new one...they got to deal with a bike that will haunt them till thier second born...he he he ...If they live that long

Last edited by BAK04GT; Aug 21st, 2008 at 6:06 pm.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 2008, 9:16 pm
Addict

And you thought only smart people like you and me rode BMW's ?
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 2:07 am Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCW
All it takes is one get off to convince you to wear gear. My brother wore gear when he lowsided his bike. Still broke his ankle and got some road rash, but looking at his helmet, he might have been dead.

I figure you get what you deserve. Don't wear gear, pay the price if you go down, and don't expect tears from me. So it doesn't bother me too much.
i had that one wreck that turned me into hamburger, when i was 21 though. i usually wore gear, but in the summer in middle of fresno at 105 degrees, just running to Arbys, i bit it. Lesson learned. i have wrecked twice since then, slight bruising on one hip, bruise to palm. thats it. much less painful than road rash and the clean up at the hospital.

BTW, it gets hot as hell here too. last week 100's every day. tomorrow, ride day, it will be mid 90's, which is not that bad because it will be cool in the morning.

06 K1200R,76 Yamaha RD400 VOID 7/08 ,03 Kawi ZX-6R VOID 10/10/06, 94 Suzuki GSXR-750 VOID, 85 Yamaha FJ1100 VOID
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 12:57 pm
Enthusiast

Garage
Usually the squids get a good case of road rash and quit riding!

There is an upside, usually a good parts bike or a track bike becomes available cheap. Not much available in good plastic from these though, but you get electronics, motor, etc.

'07 K1200GT Crystal Gray Metalic
'00 Ducati 900 Monster
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 7:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tafelmusik
...and thinking they're Charlie and Ewen.

Bill
87 K75S
why would anybody want to be like Charlie and Ewan. the latter i get for the nicole kidman kissing part in moulin rouge, and even better scarlett johanson in the island, but Charlie ???
besides, didn't they end up with BMW only because KTM wouldn't give them bikes for free ?

cheers !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode