Brake Fluid Change - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 2008, 1:09 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Brake Fluid Change

I am going in next week to have my brake fluid serviced. I have had the bike for two years and have 11500 miles on it. I saw on the dealer maint. sheet that I should have done a initial change at the one year mark. I have the servo system and ABS. What is supposed to be changed and when. The dealer said that there was a closed circuit system within the servo system and I think he said that there was another closed system that had a service interval within the ABS. I was hoping that you guys could shed some light on what is what and service intervals.
As a side note I put in a couple of days ago a PIAA 110 watt H7 Extreme White Plus low beam bulb for the original that had burned out and what a difference illumination!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 2008, 1:13 pm
Will ride for picts

There are two services for clutch / brake fluid. The lower circuit (wheel circuit) needs to be done every year, the upper circuit and clutch needs to be changed every other year.

Here's a link to the procedure from the archives:
http://www.k-bikes.com/ubbthreads/sh...sts&Main=8088?

Sierra Cement: Good for skis, bad for knees.

www.rhhall.smugmug.com

Last edited by rhhall; Aug 28th, 2008 at 1:17 pm. Reason: Corrected which circuit gets service when
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 2008, 1:21 pm
JCW
contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilynator
I am going in next week to have my brake fluid serviced. I have had the bike for two years and have 11500 miles on it. I saw on the dealer maint. sheet that I should have done a initial change at the one year mark. I have the servo system and ABS. What is supposed to be changed and when. The dealer said that there was a closed circuit system within the servo system and I think he said that there was another closed system that had a service interval within the ABS. I was hoping that you guys could shed some light on what is what and service intervals.
As a side note I put in a couple of days ago a PIAA 110 watt H7 Extreme White Plus low beam bulb for the original that had burned out and what a difference illumination!
I assume from the avatar you have a KR?

I tried Sylvania silverstars and there was no difference from stock. Interesting the Piaa 110W are much better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 2008, 4:49 pm
Enthusiast

brake bleed interval

I know on the R bikes 2005 and newer the interval has increased to 2 years on the wheel circuits and 4 years on the control circuits. My guess would be the same applies to the 2005 and newer K bikes.

'05 R1200RT, Ruby, as in RED, (current garage queen)
'04 R1150RT, '99 Ducati 748 BiPosto, '93 Seca II, '93 K1100RS, '83 Yamaha Maxim 750,
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 2008, 1:44 am
Veteran

every service that i have gone to, they stated that BMW had determined the brake fluid did not need to be changed until 20????. i've had my k12r for 2 1/2 years and bought it with the 600 done, 6000 done, 12000 i took it in but i had done all the work so they did the inspection and checked fault codes. they told me no valve or brakes until later.

06 K1200R,76 Yamaha RD400 VOID 7/08 ,03 Kawi ZX-6R VOID 10/10/06, 94 Suzuki GSXR-750 VOID, 85 Yamaha FJ1100 VOID
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 2008, 10:41 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

I talked in person further with the service rep and It is confirmed that it is 2 years on the wheel circuits and 4 years on the control circuits. Thank you for the tech info. I did not understand the two systems before.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 2008, 1:40 pm
Rookie

Change Interfal

I had the same system, ABS/Servo on 2 previous bikes and I changed the fluid every year.
I ride about 12K miles per year, including daily commuting.
The fluid was very discolored, compared to the new fluid.
A mighty vac helps to lessen the mess, especially for the 3 control circuits.

Last weekend I changed the clutch fluid - first time with the mineral oil.
The oil at the slave cylinder, first out, was black. The rest was a light green.
The new fluid was light blue.

A subtle, but noticeable improvement in the clutch actuation was an added benefit.
I had a slight chatter when starting out with light throttle/ low revs.
This has disappeared. I plan to change the clutch oil annually from here out.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 2008, 4:39 pm
Enthusiast

Clutch fluid change

Slight hijack. What was it like changing the clutch fluid/mineral oil? How much mineral oil did you use? I have an 05 RT that is now 3 years old so by April 2009 it will need to be changed.

'05 R1200RT, Ruby, as in RED, (current garage queen)
'04 R1150RT, '99 Ducati 748 BiPosto, '93 Seca II, '93 K1100RS, '83 Yamaha Maxim 750,
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 2008, 1:45 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

I thought the mineral oil in the clutch was only changed when the clutch wore out. Life time sort of.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 12:52 am

re::

Change Oil & Full services Bike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode