What do you pack with you on your bike at all times? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 3:30 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

What do you pack with you on your bike?

I just picked up my new k1200r, and I realized riding home from the tags office that I'm not prepared for a flat. What do you guys keep on the bike? Just a standard tire plug kit? What do you do for air?

I was thinking about getting a slime compressor - anyone have experience with one of these?

I'm thinking I should get a LED flashlight and throw it in the toolkit.

Anything else I should have?

Last edited by davidvthokie; Sep 3rd, 2008 at 3:39 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 5:33 pm
Addict

Congrats on your new bike!

I move around a lot so I've had time to put this stuff together.

I recently bought a 3 AA battery LED flashlite to put in my bag, its bright and lite.

I've not had good luck with fancy tire plugging kits. I use the standard tire plugs you can buy cheap and they work the best in my opinion. I made a believer out of my riding bud some time ago with those, around 7 bucks for the kit (w/the plug tools).

I also carry a number of CO2 cartridges. I don't really like that idea but overall, I think they take up less space and they "fit" easy, since I just toss all that stuff in a small soft bag/sack. Make sure you have the valve adapter for tire/fill valve.

water water water always...at least out here! you could die out in the desert heat if you don't carry this stuff if you get stranded for awhile.

I also carry food for the times i'm too tired or too late to get dinner, consists of chocolate (of course ) pop-top cans of tuna, peanuts (in a bag) and wheat crackers, doesnt' take much room to store.

oh, and don't forget your fav cigars, they come in handy when waiting for a tow

Visa and a cell phone (used to carry a gun instead but I can't call a for a tow with a glock 21)...you'll also cause no harm to your machine when it breaks if you happen to be a type A, when you leave the glock at home

something to clean your visor/glasses with, any important meds, stowed away from the main bottle in case you forget em (ie, always in the bike bag).

Only a couple tools on board, can't carry everything! For risk mitigation, I ensure my tire treads are always a good distance from the wear bars, even if I replace them sooner than needed (easy since I do my own tires).

Most of this stuff stays in the bike bag so it is not forgotten, food being the exception.

I also carry at least a bikers rain coat (bmw), it is good for sun protection as well as rain & cold and its light wt.
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 5:50 pm

Extra Stuff

Idbikin;
I applaud your very complete list. My only added elements would be to include several different sized machine screws and a can of Flat Fix-it. The screws would be inserted into the puncture and the aerosol goop injected into the tire. This enables one to travel a substantial distance to obtain professional repair or replacement. Works quick with minimum effort and has never failed.
One last suggestion is a siphon (manual) pump, just in case you or your buddy forgot to fill up completely.
Ride safe and enjoy the trip.
EJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 6:05 pm
Veteran

I have a Slime compressor. I think it's a great piece of workmanship. It look and works like it was designed by a motorcyclist. It's slim, has no pressure gauge, no flashlight and just a good air pump! The air hose does pack separately, just so you know. I pack one in my tailbag side pocket along with a Slime $10.00 plug kit. The stock one is only good in a pinch.

A 2-cell LED flashlight in the tankbag with a spacer between the batteries or one cell turned around, so there is no drain on the batteries.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 7:18 pm
Veteran

I'm a minimalist.. this is the complete list of what I keep on any bike I'm riding...

1. Extra ear plugs
2. Kit to clean my visor
3. Wet wipes ( 2-3 singles)
4. gum or mints
5. hat
6. air gauge

I leave all tools (except for the gauge) at home..
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 2008, 2:04 am
Addict

Berretta FS 9mm, w/full jkt hollow points. Never leave home w/o it.

Marin Phil
2013 K13S-Anniv ED
'06 K12GT Blue of course!_Sold-too many problems
'05 Ducati 999-My Italian Mistress_sold and missed
2004 K12 GT-Orient Blue-the new me.-Sold
about 30 before that but too old to remember them all..
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 2008, 4:20 pm
Addict

What, no Visa card????

I thought visa gave the best exchange rates on doublins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate
I'm a minimalist.. this is the complete list of what I keep on any bike I'm riding...

1. Extra ear plugs
2. Kit to clean my visor
3. Wet wipes ( 2-3 singles)
4. gum or mints
5. hat
6. air gauge

I leave all tools (except for the gauge) at home..
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 2008, 4:45 pm
Addict

Visa card
Cell phone
Rain gear
BMW tool kit just because it's already under the seat
Chapstick
Water
Face shield cleaner
Snack food like clif bars or some such
LED light
iPod
Ball cap to hide helmet hair

That's about it. All you really need are the top two on the list unless you're headed out on a long trip.

Deb and Dean Sauer
Golden, CO

The cure for boredom is riding motorcycles, and there is no cure for riding motorcycles...
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 2008, 8:40 pm
Strafist

I agree fully with you, except the CO2 cartridges. You FUBAR the plug, or have another, somewhat hidden, hole and it's cellphone time. I carry a small Thompson compressor I bought off of Ebay. It was used to air a tractor trailer cab seat. Or, you can buy one at Wally World, take the plastic off and mate the hose back on. Both need the BMW plug.

I believe in a higher power- .40 S&W, or above.

Absolute must on the ceegars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldbikin
Congrats on your new bike!

I move around a lot so I've had time to put this stuff together.

I recently bought a 3 AA battery LED flashlite to put in my bag, its bright and lite.

I've not had good luck with fancy tire plugging kits. I use the standard tire plugs you can buy cheap and they work the best in my opinion. I made a believer out of my riding bud some time ago with those, around 7 bucks for the kit (w/the plug tools).

I also carry a number of CO2 cartridges. I don't really like that idea but overall, I think they take up less space and they "fit" easy, since I just toss all that stuff in a small soft bag/sack. Make sure you have the valve adapter for tire/fill valve.

water water water always...at least out here! you could die out in the desert heat if you don't carry this stuff if you get stranded for awhile.

I also carry food for the times i'm too tired or too late to get dinner, consists of chocolate (of course ) pop-top cans of tuna, peanuts (in a bag) and wheat crackers, doesnt' take much room to store.

oh, and don't forget your fav cigars, they come in handy when waiting for a tow

Visa and a cell phone (used to carry a gun instead but I can't call a for a tow with a glock 21)...you'll also cause no harm to your machine when it breaks if you happen to be a type A, when you leave the glock at home

something to clean your visor/glasses with, any important meds, stowed away from the main bottle in case you forget em (ie, always in the bike bag).

Only a couple tools on board, can't carry everything! For risk mitigation, I ensure my tire treads are always a good distance from the wear bars, even if I replace them sooner than needed (easy since I do my own tires).

Most of this stuff stays in the bike bag so it is not forgotten, food being the exception.

I also carry at least a bikers rain coat (bmw), it is good for sun protection as well as rain & cold and its light wt.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 2008, 1:39 am
Veteran

Under the seat:
* K1200GT User Manual in heavy duty ziploc bag
* Extended toolkit (BMW part # 71-60-7-704-086) also in heavy duty ziploc bag

In the glovebox:
* Extra foam earplugs
* Pressure gauge
* "L" shaped valve extender, to measure rear tire pressure
* Silk gloves
* Small cable for the under seat helmet lock
* Flat plastic disk for side stand on hot asphalt
* Pencil and small spiral notebook to record fill-ups, maintenance, thoughts, and notes

Commute (49 liter top case, no side cases):
* Small can of Plexus and two microfiber rags
* Sunglasses in hard shell case
* Backpack with large laptop computer, accessories, paperwork, etc.
* There is additional room for lunch, groceries, extra stuff as needed
Seasonal: Additional pair of gloves as needed, for temperature differences between morning and evening rides and a BMW silver function T-shirt for summer heat waves

Weekends (no top case):
* Extra water, snacks, change of clothes, sneakers, hat, camera, binoculars, etc. as needed.

I just bought an Engage tank bag, so I could carry a water bottle plus a few small items and leave the side cases home, but I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode