Seats - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 2008, 2:50 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Question Seats

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience with Kontour seats in cold weather? I live in Colorado and was thinking of buying a new seat for my GT and was seriously considering a Kontour. Grif has told me if you live in a cold climate it may not be a good choice. I have a heated seat on my 08 GT. I've owed Corbin and Bill Mayer saddles in the past and liked them both. I would like to replace the stock seat on my new GT. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 2008, 3:08 pm
Strafist

Sorry about not getting back to your email. I'm in the middle of a project from hell that reminds me of my first marriage.

In the cold, the seat is like a brick. It will warm up and soften up, but won't get as warm as effectively as a regular seat. That's because the airflow thru the seat kind of counteracts the heater.

This isn't really a problem if you play in the cold (where the snowflake is flashing on the dash) once in awhile. I know if I'm heading up a mountain pass to fire the seat heater. Also, if you have blood like molasses you should be ok.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 2008, 5:56 pm
Addict

Hard is fine but in anything less than about 70 deg's out here, I freeze my ass off with the Kontour.

That is of course, the whole idea.

I'm from MI, I'd say the kontour would work well in the high humitiy conditions there, better than this dry heat even (more sweatin in humidity).

I use a sheepskin a lot over the seat for said reason but in the nasty heat, can't beet it! even with something over it you still get air circulation under yer arse, chases the monkeys away

ps..no heated seat on my 06 K12S.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 2008, 7:55 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Most of the time riding in Colorado for the season its not really all that cold. Only have left probably the months of Oct. & Nov. where the temps are pretty good. Last weekend up in Rocky Mtn. Nat'l Park I hit 45 degrees but that area will be closed within a month to any vehicles. From April through Nov. its all pretty good. I probably won't do much riding from Dec. through March except on occasion, weather permitting and even then when its sunny out the temps will usually be in the mid to upper 30's. Any other feedback from anyone about their overall likes and dislikes with their custom seats would be appreciated.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode