My first long distance trip - preparing! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2008, 12:04 pm Thread Starter

Question My first long distance trip - preparing!

Morning all! I'm making plans to ride out from Orange County, CA to Tucson, AZ. Roughly a 450+ mile ride. I know that basically I should take breaks while riding so I don't get too tired, I'll probably buy a GPS unit that I can program coords into, but what sorts of provisions should I stock?

AAA Card? Check
Small gas can? Check
Clothes n affects? Check

But what else should I take? This would be my first long distance ride on my K75. It has a stock seat, so should I get a donut for my butt afterwards? haha...

Anyhow, I've become more of an intermediate rider. I'll be keeping my pace at about 80-85mph to make decent time. I want 6 hours or less of road time and that should do it.

thanks for the input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2008, 12:59 pm
Enthusiast

Garage
Don't forget the credit card.

AAA plus will flatbed a bike.

Tires should not be at the wear bars
Check the oil & tire pressure, pack the clothes, and go.

Never have bothered to pack anything beyond the leatherman, duct tape, and extra fuses, on my '94 R11RS, even when it got to more than 75,000 miles on it. If the bike hasn't been giving you trouble, it probably won't. (famous last words)

Maybe a gel seat pad, but the only bike that I haven't been able to do a 400 mile day on was the Ducati (26 minute seat, glad it is only 25 minutes to work). It has an sargent now and is good for about a tank of fuel ~ 240 miles, then you want off for a bit.

'07 K1200GT Crystal Gray Metalic
'00 Ducati 900 Monster
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2008, 2:35 pm
Looking for better limits...

AAA Plus RV. AAA Plus won't tow motorcycles. SoCal AAA offers AAA Plus RV while CSAA (Northern Calif, Nevada and Utah) doesn't offer it (unless you're living in Utah...don't ask).

Tires in good shape, oil level good. When you stop for gas, figure about 15 minutes each. Stretch your legs, go take a nature break, drink some water. 500 miles in one day isn't too bad, but expect your butt to start to complain as soon as you double your normal amount of daily riding.

Wear padded bicycle shorts instead of the briefs or boxers. Also, put some skin lotion on the areas that will be in contact with the seat. Nothing special, even sunscreen works well (just don't expect to get a tan...).

What would be good to have with you is a CamelBak or similar water bladder backpack so you can sip water when you want to, instead of waiting for a stop. If it's hot, see if you can't get ice from a restaurant or hotel and put it in the bladder first. Then fill with water. Cool spot on your back, and cold water when you want a sip.

Credit card
Some cash
Cell phone
Radar detector
Camera

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2008, 6:45 pm
Enthusiast

Here's what happen to me - I could not sleep - the night before.
Back water - camel pak - freeze it - so water stays cold -REFILL and drink
Had my bags pack - (K75S at the time) dropped the bike off the center stand pulled away - and something did not feel right - some a**hole knifed my rear tire on the sidewall.
Bring your bike in over night.
Get some sleep,bicycle shorts, baby powder, drink water and enjoy yourself.

Be safe

'91 K75S
'06 K1200S
BMWMOA # 119240
Yankee Beemer # 153
NRA # 154764753
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2008, 1:36 am
Veteran

emergency tire repair kit. protein bars.

06 K1200R,76 Yamaha RD400 VOID 7/08 ,03 Kawi ZX-6R VOID 10/10/06, 94 Suzuki GSXR-750 VOID, 85 Yamaha FJ1100 VOID
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2008, 8:12 am
Enthusiast

I guess it depends on the amount of riding you are used to doing and the amount of time being used. If you are trying to do the 450 in a day I would say you are better off on the highway, but 450 is within reason on back roads in a day trip.
When I do long trips I leave at about 8am after a decent breakfast, hit the road for for about 180-200 miles which is as far as I can get on a tank. At that point I stop for lunch, hit the men's room and refuel the bike. It's usually right around noon by the time I hit the road again. I just repeat the cycle again which puts my next stop right around 4pm, and depart around 5pm. At this stage I have between 360 - 400 miles, so my next stop is going to be a hotel/motel at which point I refuel. If you're lucky you will be able to find a hotel with a hot tub or jacuzzi.
What do I bring - my riding gear (visor cleaner), GPS (and map), cell phone (charger), credit & AMA cards, street clothes (sneakers/sandals), bathing suit, toiletries, leatherman, BMW toolkit (check the plug kit), extra bike key, sunglasses, iPod (charger) and a first aid kit (including aspirin). From reading this thread I think the duct tape is a good idea, I would simply take a 3' length and fold it up on itself. I don't have any prescription medication, but that should also be on your checklist.
Before you leave you might also want to check for local BMW shops along the route just in case you might need one. You can program these into your phone or GPS before you leave. Don't rely solely on your GPS, make sure you have a current map with you.

.....Mike
'10 K1300GT
Royal Blue Metallic
Garmin Zumo 660
Nolan N-103 w/ BT Kit

Last edited by mrlajoie; Sep 27th, 2008 at 8:32 am.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2008, 10:20 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambridge K
Here's what happen to me - I could not sleep - the night before.
Back water - camel pak - freeze it - so water stays cold -REFILL and drink
Had my bags pack - (K75S at the time) dropped the bike off the center stand pulled away - and something did not feel right - some a**hole knifed my rear tire on the sidewall.
Bring your bike in over night.
Get some sleep,bicycle shorts, baby powder, drink water and enjoy yourself.

Be safe

I can't sleep the night before a trip either. Can't believe some sh*t head knifed youre tire. Next time you go on a trip and can't sleep, sit up with a shot gun with the shells loaded with rock salt, he will need a lot of that baby powder.

Wayne

http://fergie.smugmug.com/

2006 K1200GT Blue
2008 F800ST Blue (Wifes)
2006 R1200RT (Traded)
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 500R (Traded)
1999 K1200LT (Sold)
1985 K100RT (Sold)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 2008, 4:05 am
Addict

Id say you need your credit card, a cell phone and a smile but based on a similar thread in here recently called "what do you pack on your bike at all times?" you will need a large calliber semi automatic pistol, a bowie knife and probably an R.P.G.
Just kidding dood but I was blown away (excuse the pun) by how many State Side Bro`s are tooled up when they ride.
I say travel as light as you can man, I cant beleive your K75 cant run between roadhouses. You dont want to be carrying cans of fuel if you take a spill. Make sure you rehydrate whenever you take fuel or more frequently if its hot, water or sports drinks not soft drink.
If youve got cash and access to plenty more plus the ability to call someone your fine.
I do 300 - 400 mile rides almost every Sunday. Dont sweat it, just enjoy the ride.
Have Fun

Black stuff down, Shiny side up!______________________________
10 R1200RTSE
02 R1100S
07 K1200GT R.I.P.
86 K100RS Sold
07 R1200GSA Sold
07 Softail Heritage Sold
86 K100RS Sold
82 R100RS Sold
82 Suzi GSX1100 Sold
75 Honda 750/4 Sold
74 Yamaha XS650 Sold

Last edited by Dadicool59; Sep 28th, 2008 at 4:15 am.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 2008, 1:35 pm Thread Starter

Thanks guys! I'm glad a few of you have chimed in.

I just sprung for the RV/Motorcycle service with AAA last week, I hadn't realized that it was an additional service.

I've got tons of tools in my garage, so I'll assemble together a small kit of commonly used metric sockets and screwdrivers. Anything that would require more calls for the tow truck.

I do like the idea of the camel back, hopefully I can budget for one!

So the duct tape goes on my ass, or the seat?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode