Any Harley riders? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2008, 1:06 am Thread Starter
Addict

Any Harley riders?

As I wrote somewhere else in this forum I like Harleys. I don't care about their mechanical performance, have my K, just like the look and the sound. Checked whole range, I am between the FatBoy and Road King. Since I am not very familiar with the technology maybe you can answer to few questions:
1. Why same year bike Fatboy is a little more expensive than the Road King, even new is vice versa (at list here)?
2. Fatboy only has 1 disc on front wheel, is it difficult to stop?
3. What is the highest speed you can run those bikes without shaking at long run?
4. Is there any difference in engine between FB and RK? I am after a 2005-2007 with 10,000 max on odo.
5. Is the suspension on RK substantially better than FB?
6. Which one is bigger, don't want bike to look small when on it. I am relativelly big - 1.85m, 125kg.
Thanks for any input.
7. Which one do you recommend afterall? I don't do any city riding, only cruising inside and outside the country 500-3000km journeys.

2010 R1200RT
2009 X6
2010 X1
former and future k owner

Last edited by Doru-in-Romania; Sep 27th, 2008 at 1:57 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2008, 8:42 am
Noob

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doru-in-Romania
As I wrote somewhere else in this forum I like Harleys. I don't care about their mechanical performance, have my K, just like the look and the sound. Checked whole range, I am between the FatBoy and Road King. Since I am not very familiar with the technology maybe you can answer to few questions:
1. Why same year bike Fatboy is a little more expensive than the Road King, even new is vice versa (at list here)?

Personal choice and local market values vary.

It is not a GT and will never stop like nor can you ride it like one. Allow longer stopping distances and the rear wheel will lock up.

]3. What is the highest speed you can run those bikes without shaking at long run?

It can easily run at 80 mile an hour all day.

4. Is there any difference in engine between FB and RK? I am after a 2005-2007 with 10,000 max on odo.

The Fatboy is a balanced engine frame mounted while the road king is rubber mounted. Both will have similar performance, but if you like wind protection, the road king is the way to go. I have an 07 GT and a 02 Road King Classic and love them both.

Yes

6. Which one is bigger, don't want bike to look small when on it. I am relativelly big - 1.85m, 125kg.

They are virtually the same size and both will fit fine and carry a six foot 240 pound person very well. My wife likes to ride on the harley better as it sits lower and is easier for her to get on with better wind protection.
Thanks for any input.

7. Which one do you recommend afterall? I don't do any city riding, only cruising inside and outside the country 500-3000km journeys.
Road King Classic is the choice. Bags come standard, removal windscreen and better looking.

kymshu

07 GT Blue
09 HD Ultra Red & Gold
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 2008, 12:02 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doru-in-Romania
3. What is the highest speed you can run those bikes without shaking at long run?
Thanks for any input.
Doru, for my money the Road King is your bike.
1) not sure about the pricing strategy
2) All harleys need a firm pull on the brake lever when compared to the GT. The Road King will stop better with the twin discs.
3) Its really up to you, I find that all bikes have a sweet spot, my GT is at 4800 - 4900rpm in 6th when all vibration seems to disapear. Except for the screen, you are riding naked on either of the Harleys you mention so your own comfort is going to be your regulator of consistent speed. I could ride my last Softail Heritage all day at 130kph comfortably.
4) The engines are different. The softail range (fatboy) has counterbalancing built into the engine eliminating most of the vibration This allows them to hard mount the engine into the frame.
The Road King has no counterbalancing and is mounted into the frame on rubber mounts At idle the engine will look like it is going to shake out of the frame. It wont. Other than that the engines are the same. You should try and get a late 06 or later model as they have the newer 1585cc engine and the 6 speed gearbox. The top gear in the 6 speed box is very tall and has the bike running very economically at highway speeds at very low revs. If you want them to run really sweatly you need to play with ECU, air intake and pipes. They are made to meet Euro emmission specs and they run lean and hot. Drop me a pm if you want more detail on what bits will do this.
5) the suspension is better on the Road King and the Road King is also bigger. The Fatboy is very low to the ground and you will be constantly scraping the running boards. They (FB) scrape when you see a corner coming which is the only reason I sold mine but I would buy a Road King in a flash and probably will .
Enjoy

Black stuff down, Shiny side up!______________________________
10 R1200RTSE
02 R1100S
07 K1200GT R.I.P.
86 K100RS Sold
07 R1200GSA Sold
07 Softail Heritage Sold
86 K100RS Sold
82 R100RS Sold
82 Suzi GSX1100 Sold
75 Honda 750/4 Sold
74 Yamaha XS650 Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 2008, 5:50 pm
"DELIVERS"

FYI:
The 2009 touring bikes, of which the Road King is a member, have significantly improved the frame and suspension, reducing weight, increasing load capacity, and reducing idle vibration.

'04 GT...Orient Blue...Staintune...Ohlins...Power Commander
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 2008, 10:22 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkman
FYI:
The 2009 touring bikes, of which the Road King is a member, have significantly improved the frame and suspension, reducing weight, increasing load capacity, and reducing idle vibration.
Milkmans right Doru, it also comes with ABS Brembo brakes and electronic cruise control.

With all your money, just go and order a new 2009 Road King Classic.

10 R1200RTSE
02 R1100S
07 K1200GT R.I.P.
86 K100RS Sold
07 R1200GSA Sold
07 Softail Heritage Sold
86 K100RS Sold
82 R100RS Sold
82 Suzi GSX1100 Sold
75 Honda 750/4 Sold
74 Yamaha XS650 Sold
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 2008, 3:48 am Thread Starter
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadicool59
Milkmans right Doru, it also comes with ABS Brembo brakes and electronic cruise control.

With all your money, just go and order a new 2009 Road King Classic.
don't have THAT much money and i work for them, thanks for all info anyway. it all depens of the price, i don't plan to replace the gt with a harley, just love the look and want to own one. it is relativelly exotic here, most bikes are japanese.

2010 R1200RT
2009 X6
2010 X1
former and future k owner
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 2008, 12:21 am
Noob

Newbie to the board here, actually my new GT gets dropped off tomorrow

However, I do own a 2009 Fatboy and I am 6'3 240lbs so i thought it relevant to comment. Yes on all the above of the Road King with the dual brakes, having hard bags, windshield standard and electronic cruise. However the FB weighs a lot less and is easier to toss into turns. I did replace the floorboards with forward controls so no scrapping anymore. I also have taken the bike over 100mph during highway jaunts with the windscreen on and it was quite stable..wind buffeting is another story over my helmet though.

IMHO, since I am going to own a 2008 GT with side bags, top case heated everything, etc...then i wanted a tossable fun and definetly a looker of the bike vs the RK.

However if i was only owning one bike then the 2008 Screaming Eagle RK would be it
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 2008, 4:33 pm
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkman
FYI:
Actually the 09s weigh about 35 pounds more. BTW I'm in agreement with the RK over the FB. Heck the FB doesn't even have a place to carry anything.

Milo
09 EG Standard due to ship 10-31
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 2008, 6:09 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo
Actually the 09s weigh about 35 pounds more. BTW I'm in agreement with the RK over the FB. Heck the FB doesn't even have a place to carry anything.

Milo
09 EG Standard due to ship 10-31
If Doru wants to carry something, he has his GT with side cases for that. He also has the passenger seat and the rack, and he may have a top case, too.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 2008, 8:55 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by csimon
Newbie to the board here, actually my new GT gets dropped off tomorrow

However, I do own a 2009 Fatboy and I am 6'3 240lbs so i thought it relevant to comment. Yes on all the above of the Road King with the dual brakes, having hard bags, windshield standard and electronic cruise. However the FB weighs a lot less and is easier to toss into turns. I did replace the floorboards with forward controls so no scrapping anymore. I also have taken the bike over 100mph during highway jaunts with the windscreen on and it was quite stable..wind buffeting is another story over my helmet though.

IMHO, since I am going to own a 2008 GT with side bags, top case heated everything, etc...then i wanted a tossable fun and definetly a looker of the bike vs the RK.

However if i was only owning one bike then the 2008 Screaming Eagle RK would be it
Newbie, now that you have your GT, "FLICKABILITY" probably has a new meaning.
700lbs for the FB and 770 for the RK dont put either of them in that class.
I think both of them are very nice bikes and I am about the same weight as you but having owned a softail and felt it squish and squirm through road undulation and bottom out with the minister for war on the back Im on an RK next time round.

10 R1200RTSE
02 R1100S
07 K1200GT R.I.P.
86 K100RS Sold
07 R1200GSA Sold
07 Softail Heritage Sold
86 K100RS Sold
82 R100RS Sold
82 Suzi GSX1100 Sold
75 Honda 750/4 Sold
74 Yamaha XS650 Sold

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode