Buying Fuel At The Airport - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 2008, 6:53 pm Thread Starter

Buying Fuel At The Airport

So I was out riding today and just sorta ended up at the airport... small (SMALL) town airstrip... I went inside and asked the guy if he had some High Octane fuel for me. He said, yeah but it's only for planes, he can't sell it to street vehicles... he then looked outside and saw my bike and that it was a BMW K1200R and said, "hey no one's here I'll open the gate, drive on it." So I drove onto the tarmac and up to the pump. I asked him what it came out to be and he said about 105RON but there was a slight glitch... it was leaded and since I still had my stock Exhaust with the cat I realized I couldn't fill up... what a disappointment! So anyway... any of you guys without a cat ever try this kind of fuel? I was so excited to feel it, it's got me thinking real hard about losing my stock can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 2008, 6:58 pm

Lose the stock can anyway Probably will go as fast as the airplane fuel alone. High octane will only prevent knocking, but I don't think the K bike's engine will advance ignition or get any more performance beyond about 94 octane unless you re-map the ecu.

2007 K1200R Sport
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 2008, 7:49 am
Rookie

The lead will damage your O2 sensor as well. Not worth the 4hp to run any lead.

Jim

07 KGT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 2008, 12:02 pm
Veteran

There is an unleaded high-octane airplane fuel. Haven't tried it though.

I did try some high octane Union racing fuel once in my old R1100RTL sold at one pump at the local Unical station. Only thing it seemed to help was the low speed idle. That bike had an antenna on it (radio equipped) and the antenna never shook at all with the fuel in it. It was rock steady at idle, but with other fuels it shook at idle.

It did have a bit more full-throttle pull when I raced against another RT to test the stuff.

Then I went to the local Yamaha shop. They have some racing fuel in blue 5 gallon tins that they told me to mix 50%-50% with regular fuel. Results were about the same.

The R1100 engine really idled well on the high-octane stuff. Sort of pricey to do on a regular basis though.

Mack
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 2008, 7:30 pm
Noob

While on a trip about five years ago our group went through Texas and noted that the standard high octane available was 94. I noticed engine was response was much crisper and perhaps my imagination but the bike seemed to accelerate faster too. Where I live the best I can find for octane is 92 and inland about 91 for "high" test. The bike runs okay but I sure would like to have the 94, or better, available locally.

1999 LT

2002 GS Adventure
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2008, 12:29 am
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldtrail
While on a trip about five years ago our group went through Texas and noted that the standard high octane available was 94. I noticed engine was response was much crisper and perhaps my imagination but the bike seemed to accelerate faster too. Where I live the best I can find for octane is 92 and inland about 91 for "high" test. The bike runs okay but I sure would like to have the 94, or better, available locally.

In Canada the CHevron Stations have a 95 or 96 octane gas. After 2 or 3 tanks my old K1100lt sounded different (better, Throatier), had faster throttle response and the milage went up about 8-12 mpg. Have not had the K12 up there yet to check it out!. But it is fast enough for me as it is with the 92 gas we have here.

2007 Blue K1200GT 3dr Beemer
1993 Red K1100LT 2nd Beemer
1985 Blue K100RT 1st Beemer

http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/misc.p...g=0&forumid=0#
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 2008, 3:59 pm
Addict

leaded fuel will destroy your cat almost immediately

as for the O2 sensor, it will help foul the sensor quicker, but it's not that much of an issue if you occasionally run some leaded race fuel.

BTW, the US uses AKI index for fuel ratings, which is (RON+MON)/2

105RON is approximately 98AKI. You should be able to find LL fuels (low lead) at the airport, and possibly purchase in fuel cans. Aviation fuels are also not subject to road taxes, so should be same if not cheaper.

If you'r elooking for higher octane numbers, you can also mix toluene or xylene which have a 144 and 117 AKI octane ratings and will mix fine with gas.

I mixes 101 octane and 91 in a 50/50 mix in my tank, effectively giving my bike 96AKI, and I noticed that she ran much smoother and the idle was great. however, my local pump sells

2006 K12R Aluminum - 6/2007~current
-ESA, ABS, heated grips, sport bags.
-PCIII w/ dyno tuned street map
-Leo Vince Ti silencer
-HID main light
-HID aux lights
-dual air filters

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode