LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 2008, 6:11 pm Thread Starter

Un-used mirror hole(s) in handlebar

Anybody happen to know the diameter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 2008, 6:31 pm
Would rather be riding

Not offhand, but I can take a caliper to my ZTechnic mirror mount tonight and let you know tomorrow. FWIW the mount is a decent piece of kit, but I got it to try to mount a video camera and have been disappointed -- too much vibration and it's pretty hard to get a clear view from any angle that this mount can provide. For a radar detector or radio or something it'd be just great though.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 2008, 7:40 pm
Enthusiast

The button head screws I used to fill in the empty holes were a button head machine screw (M10-1.5) The screw length may have been shorter than a 1.5. This was for a 2006 K1200R after I got some barend mirrors. A good store will have them in stainless, chrome or flat black like mine.
Hope this is the some for your model of bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 2008, 12:14 am
Would rather be riding

Here are the measurements from my ZTechnic mirror mount. It doesn't show in the picture, but there's a definite step on the tube that goes into the mirror hole on the K1200GT. Looks like you need about one inch of 7/16" tube to fit through to the bottom. Sorry about the lame ASCII art, but I trust you'll get the idea.

Code:

|       |
|<--B-->|
|       | ________
 \     /  ___  |    
 |     |   |   |        A = 7/16"  (11.6mm)
 |     |   |   |        B = 1/2"   (12.5mm)
 |     |   |   D        C = 15/16" (23.7mm)
 |     |   C   |        D = 1"     (24.5mm)
 |<-A->|   |   |
 |     |   |   |
 |     |   |   |
 |_____| __|___|_
 _|===|_        there's a lock washer here too
|#######|  <--- thread labeled 42-70
|#######|       bolt head is 1/2" across
 -------
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 2008, 12:04 pm Thread Starter

Post now for sale

Okay, so I wasn't particularly interested in a multi-joint articulating arm for my simple application, so I made a tapered post with 1/4-20 x .500" deep ends for installation in the un-used mirror mounting hole on my GT. I made some extras for others who want to used left and/or right side post for installation of farkles. I'm using a 1" RAM ball where I can use either a short or long arm to attach a GPS and satellite radio for long trips, but it's a piece of cake to remove when I simply ride the bike to-and-from the office.

They're precision CNC cut out of solid 6061 aluminum. The 2.6" length means any accessory arm will clear the fluid resevoirs, and the ample internal threads allows the user to cut the post shorter if so desired.

I'm not in the business of making motorcycle accessories, but I figure I can't be the only one who wants a solid, inexpensive mounting post, so here it is. They're $20 for one, $35 for a pair, plus $3 for a ride with the US Post. I put it up on our company website at www.perfectswitch.com/mirrormount.htm

By the way, I know these fit on the '06 and newer GT's, anybody know what other bikes have the un-used mirror mount holes?

Thanks,

Scott
San Diego
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 2008, 2:14 pm
IBR# 366

Nice job, Scott. And a decent price, too.

As far as I know, BMW used the same handlebar gear on all their larger bikes (GTs, RT's, LT's, etc.). I'd say a trip to your local Beemer dealer or to a local BMW club meeting would give you the proof that you need, and maybe even a few customers to boot.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 2008, 5:11 pm Thread Starter

Have some pics of post installed....

Installed on an '07 GT showing height of post

With GPS mounted and in the fully erect position

Another view....

Tucked low...

Un-used mirror hole mounting posts AVAILABLE

Check it out here!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 2008, 7:30 am
"Alpha Squirrel" and nutcracker.

Location: The " Jersey Shore" in the mountains of Toms River, New Jersey, USA
Just not my cup of Jack Daniels. If, and when, I decide I ever need a GPS... it'll get mounted centrally on the neck stem right where that warm and fuzzy li'l BMW roundel is located. The only time I allow myself to avert my eyes from directly in front of me is for checking my CRG bar end mirrors for some old "geez-wad" or the local constabulary. Shit, those where the first place to be evacuated of superfluous tasteless crap....those ugly "lollipop" mirrors. Found some nice fitting plastic plugs and bingo.........clean and "racy" with the fold-up CRG's. Much better than just looking at my shoulders. I've also got a SW Motech tank bag mount that'll also accommodate a Nuvo, should I wanna mount it above my gas cap so all I gotta do is an occasional downward glance.....no? Hey, but's that's just me. I don't listen to a radio or phone when driving either......just the beautiful cacophony my over zealous exhaust makes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bar ends  .JPG
Views:	39
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	9254   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bar Ends .JPG
Views:	32
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	9255   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aug 29 07 014.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	653.6 KB
ID:	9256   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aug_29_07_012[1].JPG
Views:	28
Size:	262.8 KB
ID:	9258  

Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory.....lasts forever. Shane Falco,"The Replacements" 00'
7.1 and done...06' K1200R-EZ Tuning Exhaust, EVO billet clutch slave, Evo dual race filter kit, Braking 'Wave' rotors and pads, Triton2 tail, Vario levers, Evo peg lowering kit, SW Motech crash bars, R&G sliders full set, Nippy Norman's rear fiberglass hugger, CRG bar end mirrors, ACS shield, RhinoMoto bar end sliders and CRG mounts, Evoluzione o2 modifier, Pazzo "shorty" levers, Cortech Sport Tail Bag and Saddlebags.....

Last edited by 2tall2fall; Nov 25th, 2008 at 7:44 am.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 2008, 9:12 pm Thread Starter

Agreed, in a perfect world, you'd like to have everything directly in your line of vision...or as close to it as possible. I can't use the GPS while I'm in motion....too many other things to look out for. But not a big deal over to pull over for a minute, check the GPS maps, make a mental note of my next datapoint, then jump back on the road. I do run a radio which is mounted centrally over the forks which is where most people would place the GPS. But I like the radio back-and-forth to work....don't need the GPS back-and-forth to work. To each their own.

Un-used mirror hole mounting posts AVAILABLE

Check it out here!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode