Summer time saftey gear? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 2008, 5:28 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Summer time saftey gear?

I know summer is almost over, which I figure is a good time to find summer riding gear on sale.

What are you guys wearing for protection in the hot summer months?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 2008, 8:36 pm
Enthusiast

Hot weather gear

BMW Summer pants with knee armor, Hein Gericke mesh jacket with elbow, shoulder and back armor, perforated leather summer riding gloves and mid calf leather boots.

And a flip up helmet with good air flow.

"What follows is based on actual occurrences. Although much has been changed for rhetorical purposes, it must be regarded in its essence as fact. However, it should in no way be associated with that great body of factual information relating to orthodox Zen Buddhist practice. It's not very factual on motorcycles, either."

Robert Persig - Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

1985 K100RS (Sold)
2000 323i (Sold)
2003 1150GS (Sold)
2009 528Xi
2004 K1200GT
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 2008, 10:15 pm
Veteran

BMW Venting Machine jacket (discontinued). Pretty good. It is still hot while standing at a stop light in the sun, but the airflow is very good when moving.

Held Air gloves. Highly recommended. They fit, well, like a glove. Plain leather palms with no padding, mesh on top with small leather knuckle pads for some protection. Much better protection and durability than the Tourmaster AirFlow gloves I used to wear. My last pair (before the Held gloves) wore out in less than two weeks - they always wear a hole on my clutch finger.

Olympia AirGlide 2 Pants. Not Recommended. Very good airflow, but not recommended because the knee pads always twist inwards and leave your kneecaps partially unprotected. This is a common problem for the AirGlide 2s. Olympia's owner tries to argue that they turn forward in a real accident, but I don't buy it. I wear it over denims, and have never used the waterproof insulated liner, because it doesn't get cold enough here. I'm looking for something better (that fits).

BMW Silver Function 3 Shirt and Silver Function 2 long sleeve shirt. Good, but not worth the price. Much better than the cotton T-shirts I used to wear under my jacket, but I bet that there is something similar and better out there. The good: Very comfortable, great airflow, great perspiration handling, fast air dry after washing, and they don't stink no matter how long (or how often) you wear them between washings. The bad: the fabric started "pilling" into little balls (as a sweater does) almost from the start. I don't know why. I think it may be rubbing on the inside of the Venting Machine jacket. Nevertheless, for the price, it should stay looking good for a long time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 2008, 4:49 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Anybody know about the AirFlow 3 jacket?

Looks like what I'm looking for... just worried it will be too hot.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 2008, 7:45 pm
Looking for better limits...

I dunno...I wasn't hot until it was over 105ºF last year at the end of June with a Savanah II jacket and pant (while moving, anyway). I don't know that there's anything other than a cooling shirt/active cooling system at that point.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze

Last edited by Razel; Nov 13th, 2008 at 11:29 am.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 2008, 8:42 pm
Rookie

I'm not sure about airflow-3. I went from an air-flow 2 to venting machine. mainly because the air-flow 2 sucked. Venting machine is a good jacket... as long as your moving. I still use the air-flow 2 pants though ... they're fine just the jacket design was bad. Since I live in Florida Summer gear is what I wear for most of the year. BMW sneaker boots 2 are nice and light and provide good protection, if you can still find them.... the newest sneaker boots went up by more then $50. In my opinion they are not worth the price , for that money I would get the sidi or oxtar ones. For gloves, I use joe rocket vented gloves. My helmet is a Nolan N-com N-42.

Bill
87 K75S
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 2008, 1:00 pm
2 heads are better than 1

Olympia Bushwhacker jacket and AirGlide pants.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 BMW R1200RT Polar Metallic
2008 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S Red (of course)

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 2008, 12:00 pm
Veteran

A BIG on the Olympia products. Absolutely quality stuff at much more affordable pricing than the BMW products. I own both and never use the BMW stuff any more.

I use this to 90 degrees or so, after that it's just hot no matter what you are wearing:

http://www.olympiamotosports.com/ast_mens/ast_mens.htm

And these down to about 30 degrees with layering:

http://www.olympiamotosports.com/men...rglidepant.htm

Never had a problem with any of the pads being out of place.

Been through snow, hail, monsoonal rain, wind, 15 to 115 degrees etc etc. No problems. I do however carry a different pair of solid insulated pants if I know it's going to be real cool for the whole day.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 2008, 8:31 pm
2 heads are better than 1

I have the AST jacket and Ranger pants for the cooler seasons as well as the other gear I mentioned. I am absolutely satisfied with both!

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 BMW R1200RT Polar Metallic
2008 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S Red (of course)

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode