K1200GT headlights for outside USA - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 2008, 5:10 am Thread Starter

K1200GT headlights for outside USA

I'm trying to establish if a K1200GT headlight is adjustable for use in countries that drive on the opposite side of the road than the country the bike was originally set up to be used in.
I live in Australia, own a K1200GT which is currently in the USA, and are having it shipped to New Zealand. The BMW dealers tell me I need to spend $1000 to buy a complete new headlight to suit the left hand bias required when driving on the LH side of the road compared to RH side in the states.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 2008, 7:28 am
Addict

I can only tell you what I learned in UK after I fitted HIDs to my RS and had the headlight beam checked on a test machine:

Unlike cars where the headlight reflector is designed for dipping lamps, and there are two one near one far, the BMW headlight has a straight ahead aim with a sharp left and right cut off built in the reflector. It costs more to make reflectors like this to get the accurate cutoff. As I understand it the headlight unit focusses straight ahead symmetrical but the low beam has a very sharp cut off definition both sides which still meets the regulation beam pattern to stop dazzling oncoming. For us that's great because you don't need expensive dipping HID lamps to do the conversion.

I've ridden in France, right side driving with no changes to the left driving setup and no flashing from oncoming. Although I don't think they like bright HIDs.

You could check up on the realoem parts site and see if the headlights have different part numbers. My units are 'CE marked' and usually countries have markings which the inspectors can go straight to when checking the lights are legal for that country. Your dealer should be able to show you bikes in the showroom and be more helpful with part numbers if they are different.

If you are re-registering and putting the bike through a 'conformance' test station there may be other items, so it's best to start with 'what does my country want to allow me to register the bike'.

As I said, they tend to go on passing local annual tests and looking for the right numbers. Even the turn and stop lenses have these numbers and some countries can use different colors or shades. If it's just a couple of items you might get those from a local boneyard.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 2008, 9:13 am
Veteran

Real OEM has two different part numbers for the headlights.
Maybe this will help, the "660" is a US shell and the "661" is drive on the left? These part numbers are for the "old" GT, the new GT has different headlight part numbers for left or right hand drive also. http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...08&hg=63&fg=05

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST

Last edited by brucecha; Nov 26th, 2008 at 10:17 am.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode