Any exposure to the BMW "X-Challenge"? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 2008, 4:00 pm Thread Starter
Looking for better limits...

Any exposure to the BMW "X-Challenge"?

Yeah, it's a bit out there, but I'm curious if any one has ridden them off-road or even owns one. I'm pretty interested so I can get some dirt-riding under my belt, and so far, at least to the folks on ADVRider, it's a pretty good dual-sport. But, you know how (us) BMW folks tend to gloss over the bad bits at times. The '03 GT I have is not remotely interested in any roadway that doesn't have continuous asphalt or concrete.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Sze
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 2008, 9:46 am
Rookie

I have one and I'm really happy with it. There are some known minor issues such as the air shock rubbing on the mudflap, stalling on cold starts and small gas tank.

On the plus side it gets great fuel mileage, I regularly get under 4 litres per 100km. I strap aux fuel on my rear rack and in my tank panniers and can now have a range of 500kms. I'm no dirt expert but it does everything I need it to do. I plan to change the stock exhaust this winter and get a set of 17" rims for commuting and track days.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 2008, 5:50 pm
Noob

I've got one, in addition to a GT. Bought it to go on dirt, logging, and fire roads that the GT is not interested in. For this it works great, nice power, suspension, but small tank. Due to the small tank, lack of wind protection, best suited for local riding only - for me anyway. I've enjoyed it, brings me back to a kid riding fields, trails, sometimes dirt roads with an unlicensed good old Suzuki TS125.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 2008, 11:11 am

Kymco built motor......nuff said.

F

05LT
07GT
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 2008, 3:55 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florian
Kymco built motor......nuff said.

F
You sure? The ones available are the 2007 models. I understand the engines were built elsewhere starting in 2008

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Sze
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 2008, 4:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razel
You sure? The ones available are the 2007 models. I understand the engines were built elsewhere starting in 2008
thats what my dealer told me......take that for what its worth.

F

05LT
07GT
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 2008, 7:49 pm
Noob

I am sure they are Rotax - very well respected going back many, many years.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 2008, 12:53 am

The Rotax motor is on the F bikes, the G bikes have the Kymco.

F

05LT
07GT
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 2008, 11:54 am
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florian
The Rotax motor is on the F bikes, the G bikes have the Kymco.

F
Tried to be nice when I said I am sure they are Rotax, when I know for a fact they are Rotax. Since you persist with your ignorance read the following taken from Cycle Canada - and found in numerous like publications at the time:

The $9,890 Challenge is one of three 652 cc single-cylinder models BMW introduced last year. The bikes were developed as part of BMWs aggressive campaign to entice new, younger customers to the brand. Its 100 x 83 mm Rotax-built liquid-cooled engine produces a very respectable 53 hp at 7,000 rpm and a muscular 44.2 lb-ft of torque at 5,250 rpm. Electronic fuel injection sets it apart from the majority of bikes in the category, and allows it to perform well in a wider range of temperatures, as well as at higher elevations.

G-series BMWs were designed in collaboration with Aprilia and are manufactured in Aprilias Scorz plant in northern Italy, with engines coming from Austrian engine-maker Rotax.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 2008, 8:07 pm Thread Starter

Kind of understandable. BMW confuzzling us again.

For example, K1200GT. One model name, totally different bikes depending on the year (2003-2005 vs. 2006 +)
Or, the F650GS. Used to be a single, now it's a de-tuned 800cc twin motor. The G650GS is a single 650. THAT one just may be one built with the Kymco motor. BMW is supposed to be getting engines built in China, but it may take a 3D cross-reference chart to figure out which one has what motor.
Hopefully, it's not the same company that had been supplying the bearings for the final drives.

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Sze

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode