Seats - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 2009, 5:45 pm Thread Starter

Seats

Just purchased first bmw 2008 gt. Stock seat has to go. Have reviewed Sargent and Corbin. Looking for recommendations.

Thanks
Richard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 2009, 6:04 pm
Enthusiast

I would check out Mayer and Russell as well.

'05 R1200RT, Ruby, as in RED, (current garage queen)
'04 R1150RT, '99 Ducati 748 BiPosto, '93 Seca II, '93 K1100RS, '83 Yamaha Maxim 750,
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 2009, 8:01 pm

unfortunately, other riders experiences won't help you all that much. everyone's butt is different. I have tried them all over the years, except for Russell, and even with the same seatmaker there are big variations between bike models. For example, I have a Corbin on my Harley and I love it but when I tried one on my K1200GT it was just too hard for me. Same for Rick Mayer - great on an R1150RT but I didn't like it on an R1200RT. So the best advice is: 1- try other folks bikes if you can; 2 -order from a company that lets you return the seat if you're not happy (like Sargent); or 3 - find a custom seat shop that you can ride to and have one made for you.
All the seatmakers mentioned on this forum are great in person at a custom ride-in appt - but mail order is asking for trouble unless you can return the seat with no questions asked.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 2009, 8:25 pm
Addict

Rick Mayer, absolutely.

Deb and Dean Sauer
Golden, CO

The cure for boredom is riding motorcycles, and there is no cure for riding motorcycles...
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 2009, 12:39 am
2 heads are better than 1

I had Rick Mayer make my saddle and I really like it. It's the 3rd one he's made for me.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 BMW R1200RT Polar Metallic
2008 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S Red (of course)

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 2009, 1:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by onedae
unfortunately, other riders experiences won't help you all that much. everyone's butt is different. I have tried them all over the years, except for Russell, and even with the same seatmaker there are big variations between bike models. For example, I have a Corbin on my Harley and I love it but when I tried one on my K1200GT it was just too hard for me. Same for Rick Mayer - great on an R1150RT but I didn't like it on an R1200RT. So the best advice is: 1- try other folks bikes if you can; 2 -order from a company that lets you return the seat if you're not happy (like Sargent); or 3 - find a custom seat shop that you can ride to and have one made for you.
All the seatmakers mentioned on this forum are great in person at a custom ride-in appt - but mail order is asking for trouble unless you can return the seat with no questions asked.
I agree. My experience is the same.

As far as Rick Mayer, many folks have good things to say, but my close friend waited all that time and spent all that money on a Rick Mayer for his R1150RT and was disappointed. The seat looked fine and everything, it just didn't improve things enough to justify the time and money.

If you are concerned with comfort more than vanity, then you should not discount the cheapie solutions. My current bike has a very nice Corbin, which I mostly bought for the passenger backrest, but my stocker is actually more comfortable with a combination of beads and a sheepskin cover. The beads came from Wal Mart for $8.88 and the sheepskin was cut out of a retired car seat cover. The sheepskin is zip-tied to the beads.

My strategy for the past several years (bikes) has been to buy seats used, either off eBay or the classified section of forums like these. If I don't like the seat, then I can resell it and get all my cash back, sometimes more. You just have to be patient.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 2009, 6:54 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout
but my stocker is actually more comfortable with a combination of beads and a sheepskin cover. The beads came from Wal Mart for $8.88 and the sheepskin was cut out of a retired car seat cover. The sheepskin is zip-tied to the beads.
hmm....

Out of curiosity, what's the longest ride you've done with the beads and what was the veridict?

Mike

2011 T100 Bonneville Black
06 Black Griso
06 Yellow KR - SOLD
02 Z-Rex (Green of course)
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 2009, 10:40 pm
Strafist

I couldn't live in the Tejas summer without a Kontour Seat!

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2009, 12:01 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjptexas
hmm....

Out of curiosity, what's the longest ride you've done with the beads and what was the veridict?
I guess the longest single ride was about 1500 miles over 4 days.

The tan colored Wal-Mart beads are fugly. I admit it. With the dark grey sheepskin over the top, the setup looks respectable.

The verdict: I haven't ever owned any aftermarket seat on any bike that was this comfortable. Actually, I wouldn't really describe it as "comfortable", more like the absence of pain and discomfort. Or in other words, my endurance threshold is much higher with the beads. The beads allow airflow under the goods, so you sweat a little less. Over the years, I've tried various models of Corbin, Mustang, Danny Gray, Sargent, etc. The beads are the bomb.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2009, 8:44 am
Veteran

Do a ride-in with Russell. Go with their recommendations for where you ride.

They talked me into a Velour-topped seat with vinyl sides due to heat. I wanted leather. We went round-and-round, but they finally won me over with their stupid idea. They know best, although I fought to disagree due to aesthetics over function. Turns out they weren't so stupid after all and it fit like an old worn recliner.

I could easily do back-to-back 800-1000 mile days on it. LOL was good for about 600 miles on the back. I've been to rallys where I've hauled other's wives around since they hated and bitched about their husband's seating affairs. One just waved to her husband and said "See you in town."

I recall restaurant seats hurt worse and I couldn't wait to get back on the Russell. No wonder the Iron Butt crowd loves 'em.

Mack

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode