Old Harley rider wants out! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 2009, 11:52 am Thread Starter

Old Harley rider wants out!

I have ridden one Harley Davidson or another for the past 25 yrs. Last winter I purchased an DR650 for the dirt. I redone the suspension, removed all the unnecessary equip. and started riding when my wife and I were camping. The gas prices started rising so I rode the little sled to work one day. Hell, I fell in love. The little bike handled far better than my current mount, (01' Electraglide Std.), and got twice the gas mileage. I have ridden it every day since. Only ride that big brick of a bike on fridays. So, heres the point to all this. My son has only owned BMW's. I am thinkin on getting one for myself. I like the way the K1200R looks. Seen it in a movie and fell in love (Bankok Dangerous). It will be used as a daily commuter, and when I want to get my dress blowed up (when I want to haul ass), Is this a good sled for this purpose? Can I get different bars to raise the riding possition? In fact, I will take any information anyone wants to give. I have never posted anything before. I guess I'm a BMW cherry and a thread postin cherry. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 2009, 12:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by stronch
It will be used as a daily commuter, and when I want to get my dress blowed up (when I want to haul ass), Is this a good sled for this purpose? Can I get different bars to raise the riding possition?
Welcome to the other side. I switched from HD's a few years ago. They don't make ape hangars for the K bikes

Here's my advice. Get the K1200R and don't change anything for a while. I bought a K1200RS and it already had the pegs in the low position along with aftermarket bar-backs (to raise the riding position). As I have tweaked things here and there to make it more comfortable, I've found that the bike is best (most comfortable) with the pegs high and the bars low (stock position, no bar-backs). It takes some getting used to, especially coming from a cruiser style, but give it a chance before you modify too many things.

Oh, and one more thing, you will have to give up the black leather vest with the pins and patches all over it.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 2009, 1:50 pm
JCW
contributor

They make a handlebar conversion for the K1200R. Do a search for Wunderlich sportego.

BMW santa cruz used to sell it online but I don't see it there anymore.

'06 K1200R- in pieces
'73 Honda CB500F- slow but fun.
'77 Yamaha XS 750 triple- kinda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 2009, 2:51 pm
Addict

my best advice is to buy the KR and ride it for about a month before you make any changes to the bars, pegs, seat, etc. when i first bought my KS my wrists hurt and my back was a little sore after a short ride. for a while i wasn't sure i made the right decision buying the KS because i was in discomfort when i rode it. after maybe 2-3 weeks i got comfortable with the riding position and haven't looked back since. suggest you do the same because the riding position on the KR will be entirely different than what you're use to and it may take your body a little time to adjust.

the KR is plenty fast and you'll be amazed at what you've been missing when it comes to acceleration, handling and braking. i don't think most people that own KR's even come close to pushing the bike to it's limits, i know i don't on my KS. there are a few quirks assocaited with the K bikes so your best buying something 2007 - 2009 to avoid problems. i commute daily on my KS about 50 miles or so round trip unless i take the long way home. very comfortable bike to ride and many have put 400+ miles in a day on their KR and not been beat up and sore by the end of the day.

since this bike well have more power than what you're use to i would take it easy for several weeks until you get comfortable with how the bike acts. the bike is very tame below 6K rpms but it still has enough power to get you in trouble quickly if you're not careful. i've had my bike for almost 3 years and every now and then the bike will try to get away from me.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 2009, 3:33 pm
Sooper Dooper Moderator

Rocky, it looks like to me all these guys are giving you good suggestions, and I would like to add one to the mix. Just this: make sure you look at all the K12 bikes. Since you're talking about commuting and raising bars, maybe the GT would suit you better. Nowadays I have the convenience of a company car, but I still commute on my GT once in a while just because. It's great for that purpose - in my view better than the R - because of the quick detachable luggage.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 2009, 4:33 pm

K12R K12R K12R Go for it! You need something totally different. Consider it an "Awakening."
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 2009, 4:47 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
I have ridden one Harley Davidson or another for the past 25 yrs.
You have our sympathy. Better late than never.

Quote:
My son has only owned BMW's. I am thinkin on getting one for myself. I like the way the K1200R looks.
Been riding my KR for 2 years. Great bike. You may also want to go sit on an R1200r. The naked boxer will have a more upright sitting position, but is a little more 'sedate' than the k bike. There are some great deals out there for a used R1150r if you're sensitive to cost. Damn things are bullet proof. And either the K1200r or the Boxer are much, much faster than your Harley.

Quote:
It will be used as a daily commuter
Two things - the K1200r isn't known for high gas mileage (32-42mpg). Also, I find that it is a little ponderous to ride in heavy stop and go traffic.

Quote:
Can I get different bars to raise the riding possition?
I have the Wunderlich set up on my bike - WORKS GREAT!

Let us know what you end up with.

Mike

2011 T100 Bonneville Black
06 Black Griso
06 Yellow KR - SOLD
02 Z-Rex (Green of course)
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 2009, 6:42 pm
Enthusiast

Hmmmmmmm.

You'll notice the extra 100 HP.

Welcome to the Dark side.

"What follows is based on actual occurrences. Although much has been changed for rhetorical purposes, it must be regarded in its essence as fact. However, it should in no way be associated with that great body of factual information relating to orthodox Zen Buddhist practice. It's not very factual on motorcycles, either."

Robert Persig - Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

1985 K100RS (Sold)
2000 323i (Sold)
2003 1150GS (Sold)
2009 528Xi
2004 K1200GT
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 2009, 8:18 pm

I just switched from a 2007 HD Ultra to a K 1200 LT because of the noisy 5th gear in the HD 6 speed tranny.
The factory still haven't fixed that problem in the 2009 models so I told their customer service dept. that I fixed that problem myself by purchasing a BMW.
I have only put about 300 miles on it and not sure yet what to think of all the smooth and quiet.
I think it will be a good change.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 2009, 10:39 pm
Enthusiast

Stronch
I would recommend you ride as many BMW's as you can. Particularly the K1200GT, K1200RS, K1200R, R1200RT, F650, and the new F800ST. All of these bikes are different in their own way. I rode my K1100RS for 11 years and I love the K motor. Now I am riding a R1200RT and it is one fine touring bike. Protection, comfort, upright seating, smooth, and YOU can easily work on this bike and do the maintenance yourself. You could put your wife on it and ride it all over the country. It is damn fast in the mountains in 3/4 gear above 5K rpm's. If you are a competent rider not many bikes will be able to get away from you. The quiet when you are riding is fantastically wonderful. I almost did the Harley thing 15 years ago. Thank goodness I met Kelly from Denver (BMW owner) at Laguna Seca and after 4 days I was shown the BMW light and I have had one in the garage ever since. Good luck with your search.

'05 R1200RT, Ruby, as in RED, (current garage queen)
'04 R1150RT, '99 Ducati 748 BiPosto, '93 Seca II, '93 K1100RS, '83 Yamaha Maxim 750,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode