Back on the road - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 2009, 7:10 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Back on the road

Back on the road now for 3 weeks and still love it. Bike is fixed. I had an accident on nov 11 and had a 5 broken ribs, collar bone, broken scapula, bone fragment in foot. Back to working out and everything seems great. As an Suv passed me, she clipped my handlebar and i ended up lowsiding the bike. Different than my other 3 accidents, the impact of hitting the ground was much greater than in the past. I was driving about 45mph. I remember the severe impact on my shoulder and head, then bouncing a few a few times off of my face. It wasn't much of a slide, like i have had in the other wrecks. Well I had all my gear on including armor, and no rash, just internal injuries.

Well for all the non full face wearing helmet people, here is a look at my helmet. the damage doesn't look as severe in the pic as in person, but without the full shield, i believe my nose, chin, lips, and teeth may have resembled hamburger. the vents on top and an the chin were damaged as well as the shield. I remember two impacts on the face.

i was wearing a Scorpion EXO700. it did the job well. No headache, neckache, nada. no pain from the strap either. it worked well enough that i purchased another scorpion, this time the exo1000.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scorpion Exo-700 (2).JPG
Views:	181
Size:	323.2 KB
ID:	9545  

06 K1200R,76 Yamaha RD400 VOID 7/08 ,03 Kawi ZX-6R VOID 10/10/06, 94 Suzuki GSXR-750 VOID, 85 Yamaha FJ1100 VOID
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2009, 10:13 am

Glad you are back riding. Would have thought you could have buffed those scratches out during the recovery time and saved the cost of a new helmet.

Terry

2007 K1200 GT
1998 R1100 RT traded in
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2009, 11:18 am
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckheinch
Different than my other 3 accidents, the impact of hitting the ground was much greater than in the past.
Glad to hear that you have had a full recovery.
You are amazing. MC accident stats are something we all hear and think about all of the time. Fortunatley, I have never had one. If I had had 4, I think I might have found another hobby by now.

Rich

Rich
2008 K1200 GT - Silver Surfer
Former rides:
2002 R1150RT, 2006 Honda 919, 2001 Suzuki DR350, 1996 BMW K75RT, 1988 Suzuki GS750, 1984 Suzuki GS500, 1974 Honda 450CL, 1972 Honda 350SL, 1966 Shwinn Stingray.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2009, 11:24 am
Veteran

And all this time I thought the only thing that wearing a full face helmet would do in a crash was snap your neck cause of the extra weight.

Glad you've recovered and are back riding. Be careful.....geez.....4 separate accidents? A byproduct of living in CA? I might be second guessing my riding career if I had 4.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2009, 1:23 pm
Addict

God bless Scorpion. I remember buying my first Arai helmet, and the salesperson actually tried to steer me to a cheaper helmet, but feeling I have an expensive head I went for the expensive helmet. That Scorpion looks like it's worth every penny. God bless

MOA Member #106320
2003 R1150RT Titan Silver
2008 K1200GT Dark Graphite
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2009, 2:45 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckheinch
i was wearing a Scorpion EXO700. it did the job well. No headache, neckache, nada. no pain from the strap either. it worked well enough that i purchased another scorpion, this time the exo1000.
Holy Crap!

Glad you're back in the saddle. Scorpion should get a testimonial from you.

Out of curiosity, did the SUV stop?

Mike

2011 T100 Bonneville Black
06 Black Griso
06 Yellow KR - SOLD
02 Z-Rex (Green of course)
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2009, 10:10 pm
JCW
contributor

Glad you're enjoying riding again.

My brother still is waiting to get back on after a nasty lowside at 60+mph.

'06 K1200R- in pieces
'73 Honda CB500F- slow but fun.
'77 Yamaha XS 750 triple- kinda
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2009, 1:37 am Thread Starter
Veteran

Yes she did stop. There were two witnesses, but neither contacted the CHP back when they called them. I remember one guy saying he saw the whole thing. Now it is my word against her word. The cause in the report "was undetermined," although my insurance company has taken the stance that she is at fault. I don't want to make money on this, just want to get what i have coming. I was out of work for 6 weeks and I returned sooner than i should have. There was trouble getting the police report so I wanted to get back before I got the suprise that i expected from the report. It has happened to me before.

I have a shoei helmet too, but i prefer the scorpion. I read about it in a mag and it had screaming reviews. It is snell and dot rated. very comfortable and has good features.

For a testimonial, i would do that for $$$$. well maybe for a helmet.

all the accidents my fault prior to this with no vehicles and only one deer. first one when i was a kid aka "retard" 21 year old, no serious injuries just tons of rash. ran into my buddies rear tire when he turned in early to a gas station. one time bad luck, punctured tire that waffled on me around a turn made the bike oversteer somehow and fell in gravel. just bruises. the other i was in a blind turn in a parking lot and glanced the other way just for a sec. i came around the corner a deer jumped from a lying position behind a bush and hit my front end. the deer actually hit me and dumped my bike. i may have locked up the front wheel not sure though. the last three with full gear every time and no road rash at all and only injury on this one.

I was thinking of using duct tape and a marker to clean the helmet up. remove the shield and go with the supermoto look with goggles instead.

06 K1200R,76 Yamaha RD400 VOID 7/08 ,03 Kawi ZX-6R VOID 10/10/06, 94 Suzuki GSXR-750 VOID, 85 Yamaha FJ1100 VOID
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2009, 1:01 pm
Addict

Hey Chuck, I'm gald to hear you're back in the saddle so soon after the accident. So what all needs replacing on a KR after a lowside? Did you have sliders and/or the SW crashbars on your bike?
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 2009, 2:45 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkbait
Hey Chuck, I'm gald to hear you're back in the saddle so soon after the accident. So what all needs replacing on a KR after a lowside? Did you have sliders and/or the SW crashbars on your bike?
i had r&g sliders. there was damage to the radiator cover, sliders on the fork and final drive, rear grab bar, brake caliper, front peg and shift lever, rear peg and bracket, bar end, hand guards, handlebar, lever.

they replaced the radiator and seat and one upper panel,not sure there was damage to those.

last time i wrecked at a lower speed and the frame slider took the brunt along with the bar end. this time a little more was damaged.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode