Should I buy it? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 2009, 5:31 pm Thread Starter

Should I buy it?

I have the opportunity to buy a 1985 k100. It looks great and it has 26000 miles on it. The guy wants 3,000 for it. I don't know much about BMW bikes except for their wonderful durability. Is this a good bike? Is this a good price? I have been looking into sport touring bikes like the suzuki bandit. How does the 85 k100 compare?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 2009, 6:04 pm

1985 happened 23 years ago. A lot can happen in that amount of time.

Regardless of price, if a bike is that old and I intend to ride it (rather than restore it), I would base the decision on whether or not I could establish any kind of service and repair history and get a feel for how long and how recently it had been in storage.

I've worked on a few low-mileage bikes from the 80's. I spent a week going through the fuel system on a clean bike with "frozen" carburetors, only to have it spew oil out the dried up head gasket after I got a fire lit.

If the bike has been ridden regularly for the past several years, then the odds are better than if it's been sitting around.

Do you have some pictures to share?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 2009, 6:17 pm
Enthusiast

The K motor is darn near bulletproof if taken care of properly. I rode my 93 K1100RS for 11 yrs. and 68K miles and loved it. Look at the maintenance records and see who has been taking care of it. Check the brakes/master cylinders, fork seals and shocks for leaks. See if the main splines have been lubed. Check to see if the steering head bearings are notched. To do this put the bike on the centerstand, weight the bike to the rear. Slowly turn the bars right and left. If you feel a notch typically in the 6 o'clock position they are notched and need to be replaced. This typically happens on rough freeways when you are riding in a straight line and hitting uneven pavement which notches the bearings. I had to replace them twice on my K1100RS over an 11 year period. The speedometer is known to go bad on this model. A friend has an 85 K100 with over 300K miles on it and he is on his 3rd speedometer. Has the bike been sitting or is it used regularly? $3000 for a bike that is 24 years old is high. Go to www.ibmwr.org. There are a couple on there. One is in Charlotte with 15K miles and asking $1900. Try to find comps for this bike. You mentioned sport touring. Does this bike have saddle bags? They come in handy when you are trying to tour on it. A used set can cost approx. $200-$300. I hope this helps. Good luck.

'05 R1200RT, Ruby, as in RED, (current garage queen)
'04 R1150RT, '99 Ducati 748 BiPosto, '93 Seca II, '93 K1100RS, '83 Yamaha Maxim 750,

Last edited by keithb; Jan 16th, 2009 at 6:59 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 2009, 9:04 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout
1985 happened 23 years ago. A lot can happen in that amount of time.

Regardless of price, if a bike is that old and I intend to ride it (rather than restore it), I would base the decision on whether or not I could establish any kind of service and repair history and get a feel for how long and how recently it had been in storage.

I've worked on a few low-mileage bikes from the 80's. I spent a week going through the fuel system on a clean bike with "frozen" carburetors, only to have it spew oil out the dried up head gasket after I got a fire lit.

If the bike has been ridden regularly for the past several years, then the odds are better than if it's been sitting around.

Do you have some pictures to share?

its on craigslist. I called and there was no answer. the ad says 3rd owner and dealer maintained so I think a service record may be available.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 2009, 9:06 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithb
The K motor is darn near bulletproof if taken care of properly. I rode my 93 K1100RS for 11 yrs. and 68K miles and loved it. Look at the maintenance records and see who has been taking care of it. Check the brakes/master cylinders, fork seals and shocks for leaks. See if the main splines have been lubed. Check to see if the steering head bearings are notched. To do this put the bike on the centerstand, weight the bike to the rear. Slowly turn the bars right and left. If you feel a notch typically in the 6 o'clock position they are notched and need to be replaced. This typically happens on rough freeways when you are riding in a straight line and hitting uneven pavement which notches the bearings. I had to replace them twice on my K1100RS over an 11 year period. The speedometer is known to go bad on this model. A friend has an 85 K100 with over 300K miles on it and he is on his 3rd speedometer. Has the bike been sitting or is it used regularly? $3000 for a bike that is 24 years old is high. Go to www.ibmwr.org. There are a couple on there. One is in Charlotte with 15K miles and asking $1900. Try to find comps for this bike. You mentioned sport touring. Does this bike have saddle bags? They come in handy when you are trying to tour on it. A used set can cost approx. $200-$300. I hope this helps. Good luck.
Great info. Thanks so much. I'll check everything. Is this a good bike to go for a LONG ride on? I was looking at suzuki bandits and it seems like this brand is more solid. Is that an accurate generalization?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 2009, 9:21 am
Veteran

Try this..Bert would probly help you out....http://www.bmwons.ca/k100/k100.htm
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 2009, 10:17 am
Enthusiast

The K bike was made for LONG rides. It is what it does. I would not hesitate for a minute to tour on it as long as I knew what was going on with the bike mechanically. ie. spline lube, brakes, fork seals, etc. I don't know much about the Suzuki bandit but a lot of the Suzuki's are dependable as well. What is your budget for a bike? My moto is to buy the newest bike you can afford. If that means a BMW, I want one with warranty which means you have to buy it between the 3yr./36K mile warranty from new or buy one with an extended warranty. I was thinking about the price ($3K asking price) after looking on some other websites and I would definitely say $3K is too much for that bike.

'05 R1200RT, Ruby, as in RED, (current garage queen)
'04 R1150RT, '99 Ducati 748 BiPosto, '93 Seca II, '93 K1100RS, '83 Yamaha Maxim 750,

Last edited by keithb; Jan 17th, 2009 at 10:23 am.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 2009, 6:57 am
Addict

3K is too much for a bike that is 23 years old and the bandit will run circles around it. i agree with one of the above posts about buying a bike as close to new as you can. the suzuki bandit is a nice bike and reasonably priced. i came close to buying one but ended up buying a r1150r instead, nothing against the bandit at all i just liked the bmw better. my own opinion on used bikes is to avoid them unless you know the previous owner and how he/she treated the bike. i know riders that beat the s... out of their bikes, fail to do even routine maintenance like change the oil and then try and get top dollar it.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 2009, 8:47 am
Rookie

Start your decision based on what the odometer says and multiply that times four, and go from there...
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 2009, 7:06 pm
Enthusiast

K100s

As indicated, pictures would be nice.

The K100 is really a 'point at the next time zone and pull the trigger' bike. 700 mile days are common. Loves to run at 85-100 mph and can do so all day, or until you get caught.

There are some common areas of concern - fuel pumps, fuel lines, cooling fan motor, input and output splines all need to be examined. But really a very durable and reliable bike. Witness the fact that BMW ran that basic engine design for over 20 years.

The 85 is often viewed as the finest year.

Solid machine - I love mine.

"What follows is based on actual occurrences. Although much has been changed for rhetorical purposes, it must be regarded in its essence as fact. However, it should in no way be associated with that great body of factual information relating to orthodox Zen Buddhist practice. It's not very factual on motorcycles, either."

Robert Persig - Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

1985 K100RS (Sold)
2000 323i (Sold)
2003 1150GS (Sold)
2009 528Xi
2004 K1200GT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode