Myrtle Beach prohibits bike rallies - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 2009, 7:32 am Thread Starter

Myrtle Beach prohibits bike rallies

Myrtle Beach's government has recently announced that it does not want any motorcycle rallies to be held in the city. It has enacted numerous ordinances and rules to make rallies unworkable. Here is the city's website on the issue: http://myrtlebeachbikerinfo.com/message.html

I'm no fan of cruiser / chopper rallies. I'm less a fan of any city or facility that doesn't like motorcycles. My recommendation - avoid the city at all costs - boycott the place.

Similarly, in Virginia, Wintergreen, a large, mountain top ski / golf facility prohibits bikes except for property owners. Yes, it is private, which makes it different. Same with The Greenbrier in West Virginia - no motorcycles.

Back to Myrtle Beach - I had little use for the Redneck Riviera and now have no use.

K100RS 1985
2008 GS Adventure
S1000RR
KTM 525EXC
Keeps me off the streets
Keeps BMW in the black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 2009, 7:38 am Thread Starter

From Myrtle Beach FAQs

"Your motorcycle must have a functioning muffler and you will not be allowed to make excessive noise. At idle, motorcycles and other vehicles may be no louder than 89 decibels. You will need to present your license, registration and proof of insurance at all traffic checkpoints, which will be more common beginning in 2009. These checkpoints also may include noise measurements."

Gee, that would make going there fun - police checkpoints - Checkpoint Charlie - "Pete, your K1200S is too loud. You're under arrest."

K100RS 1985
2008 GS Adventure
S1000RR
KTM 525EXC
Keeps me off the streets
Keeps BMW in the black
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 2009, 8:27 am
Noob

"The City of Myrtle Beach passed restrictive ordinances targeting the May rallies, which brought tens of thousands of visitors (tourist) to the city. The City of Myrtle Beach has never been a sponsor or host of Bike Week. These new ordinances apply ONLY inside the City Limits of Myrtle Beach.

*** There are no events (vendors) inside the city limits.
*** All events (vendors) are outside the city in Horry County, Murrells Inlet or North Myrtle Beach.

No Events Cancelled -- All Outside the City of Myrtle Beach
As many of you have heard or received information on the events being cancelled. Not exactly true Ė The events will take place in the County and surrounding Counties just not inside of the City of Myrtle Beach. The City of Myrtle Beach has begun a media campaign designed to deter the respectable, law abiding motorcycle enthusiast from coming to the area. There are businesses inside the City limits of Myrtle Beach that do support and welcome Motorcycle Enthusiast. The City of Myrtle Beach canít stop you from visiting and supporting the businesses that support Bike Week. Looking forward to seeing everyone again in 2009." Internet source; http://www.myrtlebeachbikeweek.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2009, 5:47 pm
Noob

Since they are pressing ahead with events both north and south of Myrtle Beach many riders will still travel through town. It will be interesting to hear how it goes and the attitudes of police towards the law abiding riders. I have been to this rally for years and will not be near there this year.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2009, 9:02 am
Enthusiast

Pete,

Thanks for the info. I was looking at putting together a route south this summer. I guess Myrtle Beach is not interested in attracting people with disposable income during these hard times. Can you think of a group of people you would not want to alienate. People who pay 18 to 20 grand (BMW or Harley) on toys to travel the country for the hell of it.

Now that I think about it, I never really wanted to go the Myrtle Beach anyway. If I wanted to see a thousand cheap T-Shirt shops and mass produced Salt water taffy I would go to Wildwood NJ

El Barto
Ride fast.......Get there before the accident!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2009, 6:00 pm
Noob

Smile Greenbriar - Good to Go

Pete, I was under the same impression about the Greenbriar for many years - no bikes wanted.

On a lark, I called earlier this year and found out that bikes are allowed!

Just made reservations for three nights in May and once again confirmed that motorcycles are allowed on the property. They even said that indoor parking could be arranged.

So, me and the Mrs. will be making our first visit to this landmark aborad a K1200GT! We'll file a report when we return.

Charlie
2007 K1200GT
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2009, 10:06 am
Rookie

Like I always say, "Loud pipes lose rights".
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 2009, 2:18 pm

Personally, I like their position on things. I get freaking tired of bikes running around here with pipes so loud that they hurt ears and totally disrupt the environment. If the incoming bikers had been considerate of others things would not have come to this. It is their fault that the changes are now in place. If I had to work, sleep and live around that noise all year long and especially during the spring and summer, I would be thrilled at the changes.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 2009, 4:15 pm
Noob

My in-laws have a winter place in N.Myrtle Beach. As you enter the property there is a sign in plain site that says "No motorcycles allowed on property" and something about a fine, etc. I try not to take it personally because I am one of those law-abiding bike riders. But in the same breath it pisses me off that obviously someone has ruined it at some point for everyone. Sucks.

Current : 2006 K1200S Alpine White/Indigo Blue
Previous : 2006 VFR800 | 1999 K1200RS | 1995 Nighthawk 750 | 1981 Kawi LTD 400
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2009, 6:07 am

Well, here's one that pisses me off. I just bought a place in Myrtle and I'm not allowed to have my bike on the premisiss....When looking at the place I was strickly told by the maintenance person that he hoped I was not a biker.... I almost told him that I hoped he was not an asshole.....Starting off on the right foot with this guy already......I have to park it off site across the street......It used to be if you were a home owner you could bring the bike on site............I'm not going to be there full time so I can live with it for now......I don't know if I can live with the maintenance man although.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode