Uneasy Rider - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 2:04 pm Thread Starter

Uneasy Rider

I recently purchased an 04 GT and I've never owned a bike that scared me the way this one does. Forget riding in any type of wind at all as it feels like you and the bike are going to end up blown across the road. I just returned from a rather brief ride after realizing the wind gusts were just overpowering. Today they are up to 25 miles per hour which this bike doesn't seem to handle well at all. I'm considering keeping my R1150 RS which I have for sale and selling this one instead. The front of the bike is very jittery and has been since I got it. I've followed the tire pressure suggestions etc and even on fairly calm days there will be more than one occasion where I'm freaked out by the bikes handling characteristics. Is it me? I have to say I could ride my Harley (sorry) in wind, rain etc and not be scared I'm gonna blow away. I really thought I would enjoy this bike, but its very hairy to ride. My RS was a blast to ride, handled great but of course being a speed freak I wanted the GT, now I'm uncertain if I made the right choice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 2:38 pm

Maybe you should sell it.....If you do sell it where do you live? Sounds like you enjoy riding twins......

Enjoy the ride,
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 2:40 pm

I also have a 04gt and have been in 40 mph cross winds and have had no trouble. This is at between 70 and 80 mph. You just need to lean into the wind a little and relax. The bike will handle it no sweat. I came off a cruiser also, and it does take a while to get used to the different feel. When you do, however, you won't want to go back.

Take care,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 2:45 pm
Addict

Flighty??

I have never heard of or experienced the instability you describe.I too have an 04 and rode 8500 km last summer in 2 weeks.It ran and handled flawlessly .Does your bike have bar backs?Worn out tires?Frame bent or misaligned?Have you had it to a shop?
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 2:45 pm
Addict

it must be you & not the bike

it must be you and not the bike.....i've ridden my krs in sustained 35 kt winds and the bike cut through the wind like a knife through hot butter. i've had tractor trailers pass me from the opposite direction in tunnels and the wind blast from the truck had no effect on the RS. i feel very comfortable riding my bike in windy, rainy conditions and while i hate riding in the rain the KRS feels solid and steadfast on wet surfaces even up to 70 mph. i've had my bike up to 140 mph with no drifting, no vibration, very little felt wind blast it's amazing how steady the RS is at high speeds. in 3 years of owning my 03 RS i've never felt scared or uncomfortable riding her.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 3:10 pm

Get your dealer to make sure the front shock isn't defective.
You made the right choice.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 3:39 pm
Veteran

My 04 KRS is rock steady in wind. I never noticed anything but a feeling of safe riding with the BMW. I also have a Harley Road King and the extra 200+ lbs doesn't help keep that bike as stable as the RS. My Duc ST4s is not as solid feeling as the BMW. My guess is that either there is something not right with the bike or maybe you just are not used to it. When I first got my Duc ST4s, I returned home on a short ride in the wind. It didn't feel safe, but in reality I was just not used to the Duc in the wind.

07 BMW K1200 S (cosmic blue/titan silver)
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 3:59 pm

I have an '04 K RS which is rock steady in ~25 mph cross winds, just like the many other replies here. Your experience is not typical. Perhaps test ride a used GT at a dealer?

Ron
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 4:57 pm

Same as the others....rock steady. On a trip with a lot of other brands and 40+ mph crosswinds, I was the only one not complaining about being blown all around.

You didn't say if you purchased new or used, how many miles are on it, tire condition, etc.

Two potential easy things:

1) Relax. Don't put a death grip on the bars and see if that helps. Many have stated that until they did this they were blown all over the road by semis. After relaxing, no problems.

2) IF your front wheel has been off for any reason, slightly loosen up the axle and bolts around it (finger tight so it is not too loose). Mount your steed and push up and down a few times to compress the front end and let everything fall into place, THEN tighten the axle, then the two bolts. This has fixed many users swerve problems.

If the problem is still there, take it to the dealer!

Good luck!

Randy
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 6:02 pm

Very strange. My Gt feels like it's connected to a mono-rail. Rock solid.

Something isn't right.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode