Garmin MapSource sux - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 2009, 9:45 pm Thread Starter

Garmin MapSource sux

Hope someone can help. I would like to plan some routes and load them onto the GPS but MapSource is horrible to work with. Google Maps lets you plan a route and "grab" the route and drag it around. MapSource works solely with waypoints.

Does anyone know a solution to easily create routes to load into the Zumo? I just can't work within MapSource, makes me crazy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 2009, 3:22 pm
Addict

It's been a while since I've worked with MapSource and it was frustrating at first until I found that you can move routes around like you can with Google. I'm not at my home computer to give exact instructions but the feature and ability is there. It's pretty easy to use once you find that feature.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 2009, 3:33 pm
Enthusiast

Mapsource...

If you select the 'Selector Tool' which looks like a pointer you can select a part of a route and move it to another road on the map. With some time and patience you will get the hang of the software. I have since moved on to an Apple iMac so I am using Garmin's 'Road Trip' software instead. Also, make sure you check for updates while you have the application open, just to make sure you have the most recent version.
If you find that you absolutely CAN NOT stand using the software you might try using MAP QUEST which I heard you are able to export to GPS from....
If you have a Garmin ZUMO GPS you can find extra help at www.zumoforums.com

Best of luck!!

.....Mike
'10 K1300GT
Royal Blue Metallic
Garmin Zumo 660
Nolan N-103 w/ BT Kit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 2009, 4:06 pm Thread Starter

Thank you both!

I figured out how to drag in MapSource. Just like you said.

For Mapquest dot com it's super simple. Create your route and when you're all set there's "print", "save", and "send". You have to have the Garmin Communicator for it to work (mapquest will link you there) and you send to gps.

When you fire up the GPS it will either start normal OR start with the "new data found" screen. Direction for both are the same. If you get a normal start on the unit you must do an initial step at the beginning. Click "where to", "routes", then "new" (at the bottom). You're download route will appear there with whatever name you gave it in MapQuest. Select the route and then click "import". After that click "done" and then "back". The new route will now appear in "routes".

Very cool.

It's difficult to see but the little drop down menu in the upper left corner on the attached image is the "send" and drop-down with cell, onstar and gps to select from.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mapquest.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	9639  
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 2009, 7:25 pm
Enthusiast

I'm glad you found both ways useful. The only problem with Map Quest is that I have also heard that their directions are not the best...

.....Mike
'10 K1300GT
Royal Blue Metallic
Garmin Zumo 660
Nolan N-103 w/ BT Kit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode