Dare I mention quality? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 2009, 3:51 pm Thread Starter

Dare I mention quality?

I've just changed from a 4 year old 14,000 mile Ducati to a 2 year old K 1200R and am confused about the relative quality between the two. All fasteners on the Ducati were in uncorroded condition and I am surprised, nay, shocked, to find the 2000 mile BMW fasteners looking as if they do not have as good corrosion resistance. E.g. there are at least 8 Torx head screws at the front of the engine facing the back of the exhaust pipes which are rusty. The rest of the bike is mint. Both bikes have been used in the same local area of SW England. Unfortunately, the screws are not available from BMW as replacements to enable me to restore the appearance and avoid hoots of laughter from my rider buddies. Two issues then, a) surprise at the low quality fasteners and b) why are they unobtainable from BMW?
I can't find any source of Torx head screws elsewhere to match the rest of the bike. Comments chaps?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 2009, 4:55 pm

lol, seriously, show us a pic of which bolts are rusting out. I've had two replaced but not around the engine. BMW dealer said no screw to replace them? VERY odd.

2007 K1200R Sport
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 2009, 6:27 am Thread Starter

Let's not try to ridicule each other when we post Eh? My sense of humour took a dive when I took a closer look at the Beemer. The point here is that some BMW engine screws rusted and BMW couldn't supply replacements. I can get M6 x1.0pitch hexagon socket (allen) screw replacements at fastener companies (including stainless) but not matching Torx head screws, stainless or otherwise. Maybe it's easier to source them on the other side of the pond?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 2009, 10:15 am
JCW
contributor

http://www.tastynuts.com/acatalog/K1200R__2006_.html

I know there are others...

'06 K1200R- in pieces
'73 Honda CB500F- slow but fun.
'77 Yamaha XS 750 triple- kinda
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 2009, 5:58 pm

Totally not trying to ridicule you, Alan. Just a mixture of lightheartedness plus I seriously do want to see which bolts. I want to check the same ones on my 2 year old K12R for rust as well. They are likely under the bellypan, so I may be oblivious to their condition. BMW had a recall on my 2 rusting bolts on the fairing bracket, so I'm shocked and disappointed they wouldn't replace rusting bolts under warranty or at least source the bolts for you. AND, most importantly, because I didn't say it before: welcome to the forum!

2007 K1200R Sport

Last edited by Hermes; Jan 28th, 2009 at 6:04 pm.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 2009, 6:00 pm
JCW
contributor

If you don't have a sense of humor, you might not last long here.

Welcome.

'06 K1200R- in pieces
'73 Honda CB500F- slow but fun.
'77 Yamaha XS 750 triple- kinda
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 2009, 8:37 am Thread Starter

Hermes, sorry but I can't get a photo to load up on this site. I've compressed it down to 19Kb. I have just added a post on this subject on EuroKclub.com if you want to see the photo. You'll have to register and it's on section K1200/Corrosion/page 2. What the heck am I doing wrong to not be able to get the photo on this site having already followed the site routine?
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 2009, 9:10 am
Strafist

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanp
What the heck am I doing wrong to not be able to get the photo on this site having already followed the site routine?
Before you hit "Submit", scroll down till you see "Manage Attachments". Click that.

You'll see the "Browse" buttons, and from there it's intuitave. This'll put you a thumbnail in your post.

You can also upload them into your own folder in "Gallery", copy the IMG line and paste it into your post.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 2009, 2:41 pm Thread Starter

The photo of the screws is now in my gallery. That's as close as I got to getting it on the post.
Grifscoots, tell me step by step in common English, minimum computer speak, how to move photos from the gallery to a post. Much obliged.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 2009, 3:27 pm

Wink Translation

Asking Grif for common English? Perhaps we can find an translator from Tejas to American to English.

Still there are a few Grifisms that won't translate such as AssHat

Terry

2007 K1200 GT
1998 R1100 RT traded in

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode