Camping on a KGT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 2009, 8:24 am Thread Starter

Camping on a KGT

Looking at a coast to coast and back again trip this year maybe, or a several smaller ones. Thinking about spending a couple nights camping to save money and for the fun, then a hotel before the turnaround. What say you all about camping off a KGT? Or any K bike for that matter than belongs on roads, paved roads. Finding campsites, reservations versus just being able to show up.

Yes, I've been over to Adventure Rider but can't muster the strength for another message board in my life (this is like, my 4th). I'm not so much concerned with gear, just the idea of finding a place and having it be GT friendly.

Kind of a broad question I know, but that's where I'm at right now in my research and just thought I throw this out there see what sticks.

cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 2009, 9:30 am
Veteran

It's doable, but can be a big PITA. Here's my early setup:

The inverted U-shaped bag on the pillion seat had camping essentials like tent, bag, water, and general camping stuff. Soon I added the Kermit chair, different stove, and the need of a bear canister now required in some parks. I thought the idea of a backrest was a good idea which, at the time, did work out well. Cases held clothes and misc. bike and hotel stuff.

Once I got it all loaded on my last outing, the thing weighed so much it was impossible to lug off the bike to a campsite. Probably weighed as much as a sack of concrete. It was almost impossible to get on and off the centerstand due to the weight.

The inability to park near the site in some parks made it impractical to try and haul all the stuff even though I only bought backpacking-sized stuff with the exception of the Kermit chair. I think the adage would be pack smaller instead of one big one. Comfort comes at a cost in weight.

Traveling two-up with one of those Mag's U-shaped bags lying flat on the rear rack. She liked it as she had armrests while riding pillion. it took two of us to lug the thing into motel rooms. It looked like we were dragging a dead body around at times as people stared at us. It was a real bitch carrying it up and down stairs - although sometimes funny.

Mack
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 2009, 11:54 am
Addict

I haven't had the opportunity to camp off my GT because I just picked it up in November, but camped plenty off my RT no problem. You have to think small, and after you do it a few times, you get the knack of it. As for locations try this:
http://www.reserveamerica.com/

MOA Member #106320
2003 R1150RT Titan Silver
2008 K1200GT Dark Graphite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 2009, 1:00 pm
Addict

somewhat of a sidetrack... but related info.

Packing light... get yourself some MRE's and a little portable stove/waterheater like the Jetboil. As far as clothes is concerned, under armor. Easily washed and rinsed in some water, fast drying, wicks sweat, comfortable. :-) Being in the military, you learn how to pack light. less stuff to haul around, and more room for essential gear like ammo, tactical gear, sleeping mats, and dirty magazine.... j/k

I'm planning on going on a short camping trip on my KR this spring or summer, if I can find someone to go with that is...

2006 K12R Aluminum - 6/2007~current
-ESA, ABS, heated grips, sport bags.
-PCIII w/ dyno tuned street map
-Leo Vince Ti silencer
-HID main light
-HID aux lights
-dual air filters
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 2009, 1:46 pm
Addict

Another idea you may want to use which I picked up from the guys I ride with is to throw away as you go. That is to say when your packing take socks T-shirts, and under wear your ready to throw away. Wear them once, and do just that throw them away. This lightens your load as you go, and makes room for road cha chi's you buy.

MOA Member #106320
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 2009, 3:57 pm Thread Starter

My goal on the camping, personally, is to spend a couple nights camping to get where I'm going (for example, Knoxville to SoCal) and then hotel when I get there.

I wasn't planning on even bringing a cook stove. Just some canned chow, fruit, granola and lots and lots of water. Eat out of a can on the road and at camp. Then eat out or hook up with someone when I hotel it. Easy to pack, store, throw away as you go and restock at any Walmart or grocery store.

I was thinking, basically, a tent, pad and sleeping bag. That's it (aside from some chow and normal gear). Figure I can easily back that in the panniers, my soft BMW top bag and the back seat.

Oh yeah, found THIS SITE. pretty cool.

Last edited by iflybricks; Jan 28th, 2009 at 4:11 pm.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 2009, 4:14 pm
Noob

Interesting...I too plan to camp this coming season. How and what kind of tie-downs have you used on your GT? I have the usual things to secure - tent, sleeping bag, mattress/pad, etc.; but, there are not alot of options when it comes to tying the load down. Any suggestions?

2007 K1200 GT
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 2009, 6:23 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer
Interesting...I too plan to camp this coming season. How and what kind of tie-downs have you used on your GT? I have the usual things to secure - tent, sleeping bag, mattress/pad, etc.; but, there are not alot of options when it comes to tying the load down. Any suggestions?
The GT really does not need Bungee buddies like I have on my RT. Rokstraps are the way to go for tie downs. My tent is from Catoma, and set up is important since you can be setting up in the rain or the dark,Thermarest is my sleeping pad, Northface sleeping bag with compression stuff sack so it's very compact. See links below for the goodies. Hope this helps.

http://www.thermarest.com/

http://www.rokstraps.com/

http://www.topratedadventures.com/Mfg/CatomaOutdoor.htm

http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/...ping-bags.html

MOA Member #106320
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 2009, 7:47 pm

Tour Camping

Iffybicks;
I think you have a great opportunity to enjoy this country's roads on the GT and not sweat the problems of hauling all of the extra materials that alow you complete independence. Last year I took a 3 week ride covering 37 states of just less than 10K miles.
The plan was to camp for two days and then motel it for one night to rest up and clean everything. Before I left the KOA camping guide was consulted and I found that it was an outstanding resource for my route. The main advantage here was their on site store (fire wood, snacks, lighting, entertainment, showers, washing machines, etc.) and services. One of the neatest services that I found while in the Blue Mountains area and Gettysburg was being able to order dinner from a restaurant in near the camp and having it delivered to the camp site. Now, that was cool.
All these services allows you to pack light with only the things you really want to carry. Enjoy the ride and send pics. Ride swiftly and safe.
EJ
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 2009, 8:29 pm

I've camped in 12 different campsites in past year. I have shown up without reservations to campsites, and if it's not a holiday, not a weekend, not the peak foliage time of autumn, you are generally ok. On those stated exceptions, I have had the experience of finding the last (least desirable) campsite, and even a full campsite. It is pretty exhausting to have to search for new campsite when you've been riding all day. I've since gotten in the practice of reserving (and paying) online as I plot my course. Sometimes I show up way after the office closes, and leave before they open, so that way at least I am safe and they get paid. I generally get online to check out the facilities and make sure they have firewood too! That GT will go on unpaved roads of most campsites as well, just be careful and use common sense. I love the drive up tentcamping sites the best, where I can back my bike right into the tent site and unload easier (don't forget your kickstand pad!!)

I didn't cook at all, so it's doable. I packed tons of CLIFF BARS which I ate for breakfast and lunch, and then picked up Subway or the like right before getting to camp site. Since you have no place to store food like in a car, it's best not to have food on you at bedtime unless you like nuzzling with bears. Helpful hint: stop at the first available Subway or grocery, etc when you are getting close to camp. Countless times I said to myself, there will be another one before I get there... and of course there isn't!

2007 K1200R Sport

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode