Motorcyclist gets 30 years. Does the punishment fit the crime? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 85 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 2005, 9:23 am Thread Starter

Motorcyclist gets 30 years. Does the punishment fit the crime?

Motorcyclist Convicted in FHP Trooper's Fatal Crash

POSTED: 3:14 pm EDT October 18, 2005
UPDATED: 11:14 pm EDT October 18, 2005

A motorcyclist, whose race with a sports car on Interstate 4 led to a Florida Highway Patrol trooper's fatal crash, was convicted of aggravated manslaughter by a jury on Tuesday.

Donald Williams was also convicted of vehicular homicide and fleeing and eluding a law-enforcement officer in causing the death of 49-year-old Trooper Darryl Haywood on Oct. 2, 2004.

Haywood was killed last October when his police Camaro patrol car crashed into the woods on I-4 in Volusia County, Fla. Haywood was attempting to stop an alleged high-speed race between a motorcycle and Porche when he crashed.

Attorneys for Donald Williams, who was driving the motorcycle during the incident, said Tuesday their client did not know he was being followed by Haywood when the officer crashed.

Williams was traveling at about 150 mph at the time of the crash, Local 6 reporter Tarik Minor said.

However, some in the courtroom found William's defense that he did not look behind him during the alleged race hard to believe, Minor said.

Witnesses said Haywood had his lights and siren on during the pursuit before he lost control of his car and crashed.

Prosecutors are holding Williams responsible for his role in the crash, saying it would never have happened if Williams' would have pulled over.

Prosecutors played a taped interrogation from Williams in which he said he noticed the trooper on the side of I-4 but never behind him.

Williams will be sentenced at a later date. He could face up to 60 years in prison.

http://www.local6.com/news/5118250/detail.html

And his sentence was 30 years.... more details.

Motorcyclist Convicted in FHP Trooper's Fatal Crash

DAYTONA BEACH -- The motorcycle driver who sped on Interstate 4 at more than 100 miles per hour, causing a trooper's death, was sentenced to 30 years in prison this afternoon.

Donald Williams, 39, was convicted on charges of aggravated manslaughter and aggravated fleeing and alluding a law enforcement officer in the October 2004 death of Florida Highway Patrol Trooper Darryl Haywood. Haywood was 49.

Williams faced up to 60 years in prison.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 85 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 2005, 10:29 am

Lets see.

1. Motorcycle runs from a LEO who crashes and dies: motorcyclist gets 30 years

2. Automobile speeds and runs a stop sign broadsiding a motorcyclist, resulting in his death of: auto driver gets 100 days.

Hmmm, sounds fair to me...NOT!
post #3 of 85 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 2005, 10:42 am

Sounds crazy to me.... what did the motorcycle have to do with a cop who can't drive ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 85 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 2005, 11:01 am
Addict

Angry Injustice

Three points -

1) Incident did not occur in South Dakota.
2) Convicted individual is driving a motorcycle and not driving a car.
3) Convicted individual is not a politician.

One question -

1) What was the driver of the Porsche convicted of?

Lache pas la patate

Robert Odendahl
post #5 of 85 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 2005, 11:37 am

Think Twice

So drag racing on a public highway is o.k.

So when some idiot fleeing from the cops slams into your wife, sister, kids, brothers, or friends and kills them when he's going 150MPH; that's o.k.

And when people drag race, the cops shouldn't try to stop them because they might crash and kill themselves. So more and more people try to outrun the cops, like they do here in L.A.

The cop couldn't drive? It was his fault that he died in a wreck? No, I say he was just doing his job to the best of his ability and died chasing someone who didn't give a damn what happened to anyone else on that road. Harsh sentence, but it was a harsher ending for the cop's family and friends.

Civilization requires the authorities to punish people who disregard the safety and welfare of others for their own "amusement."

Keep a high visual horizon,
Bob
post #6 of 85 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 2005, 11:43 am
Veteran

30 years sounds like half of what he should have received. I have no problem with jailing for life the idiots who are the "but for" of accidents. Now he can be a "butt for" in jail.
That doesn't make the Porshe driver innocent. That doesn't make the inattentive car driver who kills a biker by "accident" innocent either. Jail them too.

07 BMW K1200 S (cosmic blue/titan silver)
post #7 of 85 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 2005, 12:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax

Civilization requires the authorities to punish people who disregard the safety and welfare of others for their own "amusement."
I couldn't agree more. They should throw the book at this rider for speeding, evading a police officer and anything he did during the chase.

Anything he did.

He did not kill the police officer. The police officer chose to pursue and had an accident that killed him. The standard applied in the US is that if you have an accident, then no one is really responsible. (A recent accident in the Chicago area involved a woman who was dragged 6 miles beneath a car. The driver was not cited because conditions were bad and they were not expected to be able to determine that they had run over a pedestrian. http://www.nbc5.com/news/5421557/det...94&dppid=65193 )

In this case, the rider's actions contributed to the death of the officer. To what extent does that make him responsible? I guess that's the question posed here. I think there is some responsibility but I question whether there is 30 years worth.

Personally, I would like to see drivers in the US held responsible for their actions in an even and fair manner. It seems that the standard varies a *lot* depending on who the victim is.
post #8 of 85 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 2005, 12:29 pm

It would be interesting to know what, if anything, happened to the Porsche driver.

What did the motorcyclist do? Speeding - OK. Reckless driving - no argument. Fleeing from a LEO - absolutely. Endangering those on a public road - yep. So punish him, punish him hard. Take away his driving privileges for life, fine him into poverty, even jail him for a few years. But I do not see how he is guilty of the death of the LEO. Had he run the LEO off the road - OK but he didn't. I agree that the LEO was doing his job but of all the LEOs I know (>100) all tell me that they are instructed to break off a dangerous chase in all but the most extreme cases. The officers family suffers, yes, but the job is a dangerous one, not unlike a soldiers and both know the risks.

I would like to hear what the LEOs (past & present) on this board have to say.

Last edited by romoshka; Dec 4th, 2005 at 12:45 pm.
post #9 of 85 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 2005, 12:38 pm
Enthusiast

Something is wrong with this picture...

"Motorcyclist Convicted in FHP Trooper's Fatal Crash
DAYTONA BEACH -- The motorcycle driver who sped on Interstate 4 at more than 100 miles per hour, causing a trooper's death, was sentenced to 30 years in prison this afternoon.
Donald Williams, 39, was convicted on charges of aggravated manslaughter and aggravated fleeing and alluding a law enforcement officer in the October 2004 death of Florida Highway Patrol Trooper Darryl Haywood. Haywood was 49.
Williams faced up to 60 years in prison."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
First, the motorcycle driver did not cause the trooper's death. The trooper lost control of his own vehicle. Did the motorcycle force the trooper to drive that fast, loose control of the vehicle and slam into a tree? No. The trooper made a decision (poor one) and lost control. If the trooper lost control of his vehicle it is his or the vehicle's fault.

Now if the ass on the motorcycle shot the trooper, I think he could be charged with aggravated manslaughter.

03K12RS
:wtf Joel Callan :wtf
Milwaukee, WI 53222

Homepage
post #10 of 85 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 2005, 1:20 pm
Veteran

Question Priciple?

Is the principle that if you are comitting a serious crime and someone dies, you are responsible?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode