Success with bluetooth! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 2009, 2:31 pm Thread Starter

Success with bluetooth!

Only took 2 hours, with a break for lunch, but I finally got everything working. I don't know how though, so don't ask for technical help. Thought I'd share the experience and maybe someone will garner something from it.

The setup - IMC Camos BT-300 (headset/intercom). WiRevo D1000 (stereo Bluetooth dongle). Iphone. Zumo 450

For starters let me say this, I haven't played wireless tunes through the 450 yet. I did pair the D1000 to the headset so I can plug it into anything and play tunes now. Got it working, didn't make the trip to the garage, didn't need to.

Got the BT300 installed in the helmet (Shoei Multitec) pretty easy. No fasteners of any kind. Getting the small pad speakers mounted in a tucked away spot took a lot of helmet off/helmet on and ear pain. Also, I just used the metal clip jammed into the helmet to mount the mothership of the unit. No permanent fasteners and it's all very secure. The BT300 comes with the boom mike (open face or modular helmets like the Multitec) and a wire with mic on the end for full faced helmets. I could not mount the boom mic anywhere to put the mic into position so I used the full faced wire setup. There is still plenty of slack on the wire to open and close the helmet and put the helmet on and off and nothing is in the way. Very clean install too.

Getting everything paired, now that's another story. First of all the iPhone doesn't support A2DP stereo bluetooth. . I could easily pair the headset to the phone but could not stream music. Dumb dumb dumb. That's where the D1000 comes in. Plug it into the iPhone headphone plug and pair with the headset. The music comes out the headphone jack and gets beamed to the headset. Sweet.

My goal all along was to have my tunes comes through the iPhone and NOT use the mp3 player on the Zumo 450. The Zumo doesn't support any playlists, which personally bums me out. Still an option though if I want to.

Now, getting everything paired took some trial and error, the order has to be correct. Also, towards the end I all of sudden wasn't getting any sound in the headset, not even off and on. Still don't know why but repeated mashing of the mute button and volume up button fixed it. I probably had the whole thing working in 5 minutes but this sound thing messed me up. Crossing my fingers for repeatable results in the morning.

My order, btw, and your results may vary, is as follows. Step 1, power up the helmet (each one of us is carrying an unlicensed particle accelerator on our backs). Step 2, power up the D1000 (pretty anticlimactic after the particle accelerator). They will pair within a few seconds (after the 90 minutes cursed filled ordeal of getting them to pair the first time. Like mating an elephant and a pig I imagine). Step 3, fire up the bluetooth on the iPhone. For me, it will say paired, but it's not really. So I unpair it (on the iPhone) then repair (usually enter the code, 0000) and viola, all is right with the world. Got phone, got tunes. Tunes pause with phone call, fire up when call ends. Stereo and loud. Though I haven't ridden the bike yet. Spent too much time farting around in my living room. It's okay, I had a helmet on!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 9:47 pm
Addict

I have the predessor- the BHS-600. I also have the iPhone, a Zumo 550 and the D1000. The D1000. I have a Sirius radio dock on all bikes, and swap the unit from the bikes to the car. THANK GOD those little dock units have a plug for the D1000 as I use the Sirius 95% of the time. If I want to listen to my own stuff, I also can shove the D1000 into it for stereo, or the Zumo and make it stereo.

The D1000 makes it all possible... The Zumo really only makes dialing for the phone possible.

On my Iron Butt last year, Both the D1000 and the Camos lasted the whole trip, mainly because there were about 2 hours of riding during the whole time I needed my ears to rest. The only thing I'd like to see improved is user-replaceable batteries for the Camos and D1000. I'd also like to see a bluetooth-based "audio panel" better than what the Zumo offers so I can switch from multiple sources like my phone, zumo MP3, Sirius, possibly alerts from a radar detector...
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 10:04 pm Thread Starter

Hmmmm, audio panel for the bikes, good idea.

I was impressed with the battery life (so far) on the BTS and the D1000. Road tripped this past weekend and the BTS and D1000 made it all the way thru day one, 8.5 hours and 520 miles in the saddle.

I haven't got the mic on the BTS figured yet. Have it inside my helmet but transmissions (over the phone, no intercom usage yet) are loud but pretty garbled, maybe 5 by 2. I have to experiment with moving the mic.

+1 on the D1000! Having to pair to only one thing and being able to move it around (iPhone, Zumo 450, computer, whatevs) makes pairing easy. Used my iPhone for most of my tunes. Garmin needs to add the ability to create playlists on the Zumo.

All in all, $$ well spent. Wireless tunes is a huge bonus.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2009, 3:33 pm

I'm struggling with this myself...do you have the D1000 (for iPhone music) paired to the headset, the Zumo paired to the headset, and the iPhone (phone) paired to the headset? are you physically moving the dongle around? How can you get the zumo to navigate by voice and the iphone to play music out of the same headset simulataneously?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode