Need Help - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 2009, 5:22 pm Thread Starter

Need Help

I have a 2005 BMW 1200 RT and really love this bike but have always wanted a K bike.
Was at the dealer over the weekend and saw the new 1300 GT and fell in love with the bike.
My question is has anyone gone from a R bike to the K bikes and never looked back. I am worried about trading the RT for a GT and regretting doing this.
Please help me make a decision...
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 2009, 8:06 pm
Looking for better limits...

Take a test ride first. Be aware that the riding position may be a bit different, but that the body tends to compensate.

Don't do a roll-on throttle comparison vs. the RT. Otherwise, you may just find the RT sitting int he "Used Bike" section of the dealers web page.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 2009, 9:35 am

The dark side

Take a test ride and think about what is important to you. The GT has a more aggressive riding position. There are barbacks and other comfy items other GT riders have installed to deal with the position.

I went from a RT to GT and have been grinning ever since, got used to the position very quickly.

Welcome to the dark side.

Terry

2007 K1200 GT
1998 R1100 RT traded in
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 2009, 4:48 pm
Enthusiast

WBallek
Hi neighbor. Go to one of our local dealers and see if you can take the bike for at least 1-2 hours and ride it everywhere you can (PCH, Angeles Crest/Angeles Forest, Big Bear, etc.). Another option is to go to L.B. BMW and see if you can rent one for the day. Rental cost is about $150 per day. That is the most cost effective way to see if the GT is for you. $150 a day is a drop in the bucket vs. thousands by making the wrong decision. I went the other way from my K1100RS with 72K miles and 11 years to an 04 RT for 6 months then to the 05 RT and I love it. My reasons for the change was more upright seating, comfort and protection from the elements, and the telelever front end. As you probably know the RT is a breeze to service yourself. Good luck with your decision.

'05 R1200RT, Ruby, as in RED, (current garage queen)
'04 R1150RT, '99 Ducati 748 BiPosto, '93 Seca II, '93 K1100RS, '83 Yamaha Maxim 750,
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 2009, 6:59 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithb
WBallek
Hi neighbor. Go to one of our local dealers and see if you can take the bike for at least 1-2 hours and ride it everywhere you can (PCH, Angeles Crest/Angeles Forest, Big Bear, etc.). Another option is to go to L.B. BMW and see if you can rent one for the day. Rental cost is about $150 per day. That is the most cost effective way to see if the GT is for you. $150 a day is a drop in the bucket vs. thousands by making the wrong decision...
+1 on the rental recommendation.

The only problem is that I'm not sure if anyone is renting KGTs.

A couple years ago, I was lookin' at Harleys. I made a deal with the rental place to rent two different motorcycles in one day for an additional $10 "cleanup fee". They were fun to ride, but not the bikes for me. In the end, I bought a K1200GT and never looked back.

I have two friends who rented bikes from Long Beach BMW last month. They had a great experience and gave LB BMW a big thumbs up.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 2009, 7:34 am
Addict

my first bike was a R1150R which i rode for 3 months and 3300 miles before upgrading to a K1200RS. It was unbelievable how much more refined the KRS was and how i could do things on the KRS that i never dreamed I could do on the R1150R. the r1150r was a great starter bike but as soon as i left the delaers parking lot i forgot all about the r1150r and never looked back, never had a regret.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 2009, 11:43 am
Enthusiast

"The only problem is that I'm not sure if anyone is renting KGTs. "

I hear ya. It only takes a few minutes and a phone call to get the answer to this question.

W Ballek, let us know what you find out on the rental thing if you make the call. My first BMW was my K11RS which I rode for 11 years and loved it. So far I have resisted riding the new KGT for one reason only-fear of buying one.

'05 R1200RT, Ruby, as in RED, (current garage queen)
'04 R1150RT, '99 Ducati 748 BiPosto, '93 Seca II, '93 K1100RS, '83 Yamaha Maxim 750,
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 2009, 2:02 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Guys, I will find out if I can rent a 1300 GT. Waiting for a demo bike to ride. You are right Keith, after riding a new GT probably will want to sell my trusty RT
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 2009, 3:19 pm
Addict

Not sure if your aware of this or not, but to BMW's credit they have the best demo policy of any manufacturer, and have offered weekend test rides. No need to rent

MOA Member #106320
2003 R1150RT Titan Silver
2008 K1200GT Dark Graphite
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 2009, 12:56 pm
Noob

I bought a used R1150R as my first bike in 25 years and rode it hard and fast for 2 years. I loved that bike and thought that I would keep it for a long time....that is until a friend let me ride his 07 K1200GT........my R1150R was for sale the next day and as soon as I sold it I bought my friends GT........giggle giggle.....Oh my gosh it is like night and day. The GT is a much better machine and I would imagine that you will love it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode