What is it about Florida? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 2009, 7:26 am Thread Starter

What is it about Florida?

From American Roadracing news - "In October, 2008, Florida Legislature passed a couple new laws that out-of-state riders might be interested to know about to be prepared for riding in Florida. The first is the new penalty for a motorcycle or moped with a wheel that loses contact with the road (i.e. wheelie/stoppie) is $1,141.00. The second infraction of this traffic code costs more than double that amount.
Most shocking though is the non-moving infraction for having an improperly mounted license plate. The plate must be at least 18" above the ground, be centrally located, be mounted horizontally, not vertically, be rigidly mounted, and be clearly visible from any angle behind the motorcycle. This means that plates mounted forward of the rear wheel, or on either side of the motorcycle, are in violation of the law. Basically, the plate needs to be in its original location. Also, if a plate is mounted on a pivoting hanger it is in violation of this vehicle code. The first time violation of this code is a fine of $1,141.00. The second infraction costs $2,500.00, the third costs $5,000 and loss of motorcycle license endorsement for 10 years."

The license plate law makes some sense - you can't see the dmmd plate on so many Squidmobiles. The wheelie thing? Less sense - my Hypermotard pulls unintentional wheelies regularly, just open the throttle in 2d.

No helmet in Florida? Not a problem! O, in Daytona, you do have to have an "opaque covering over 1/3 of the buttocks" whilst riding. This makes some sense. If you're riding without a helmet, you clearly have your head up your arse, so the opaque covering provides some important protection.

K100RS 1985
2008 GS Adventure
S1000RR
KTM 525EXC
Keeps me off the streets
Keeps BMW in the black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 2009, 7:55 am
no power in the 'verse can stop me

Quote:
Originally Posted by petethepup

No helmet in Florida? Not a problem! O, in Daytona, you do have to have an "opaque covering over 1/3 of the buttocks" whilst riding. This makes some sense. If you're riding without a helmet, you clearly have your head up your arse, so the opaque covering provides some important protection.

tim-----still on the right side of the frostline

you can't stop the signal
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 2009, 11:34 am
Enthusiast

This is all due to idiot squids making asses of themselves and giving the rest of us a bad image. Nuff said.

'05 R1200RT, Ruby, as in RED, (current garage queen)
'04 R1150RT, '99 Ducati 748 BiPosto, '93 Seca II, '93 K1100RS, '83 Yamaha Maxim 750,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 2009, 11:59 am
no power in the 'verse can stop me

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithb
This is all due to idiot squids making asses of themselves and giving the rest of us a bad image. Nuff said.
Right.

Not that we were ever young and stupid, eh ??

tim-----still on the right side of the frostline

you can't stop the signal
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 2009, 3:52 pm
Addict

I think everyone in FL has gone senile....mmmm....did that come out right??

all I can picture is my dead arse layin in the road after wackin' a cage, having desparately trying to stop and pulling the OMG stoppie with a cop pitchin' a ticket on my carcass and taking my bike away until I pay up.

i must have a warped sense of humor (too much g. carlin maybe)...wait a minute, that ain't humor, its law!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 2009, 5:59 pm
Enthusiast

Thanks for the "heads-up". Next time I have my bike in Fla. (never) I'll try to keep both wheels on the ground and not show off my "Biker Ass"!

Gary
2007 K1200GT
Dark Graphite Grey
New Jersey-Don't Laugh!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 2009, 10:13 pm

Does cellulite count?

Terry

2007 K1200 GT
1998 R1100 RT traded in
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 2009, 10:16 am
Enthusiast

"Not that we were ever young and stupid,."

Young and stupid, yes, but not on a street bike on the street. Never any intentional wheelies or stoppies only because I am to damned scared that I will flip the darn thing. A dirt bike, on the other hand, is a totally different matter.

'05 R1200RT, Ruby, as in RED, (current garage queen)
'04 R1150RT, '99 Ducati 748 BiPosto, '93 Seca II, '93 K1100RS, '83 Yamaha Maxim 750,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode