Winter Jackets - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 2009, 11:10 am Thread Starter
Veteran

Winter Jackets

I had a very old heavy leather jacket that wore out after 25 years of near daily use. As a surprise, my wife bought me a cheap leather "motorcycle" jacket to replace it. The new jacket is warm (and I have a heated liner for longer rides when I need it), but the jacket is thin leather and has no armor. It won't protect me in a fall.

I have a BMW Venting Machine mesh jacket for "summer" riding, which for me translates into mornings as low as 55 F where I know it will be much warmer later in the day.

I need a new jacket that works for Southern California winters, which are fairly mild. It must be able to stand up to daily use for a commute. Typical commute temperatures are in the low 40s F in the early morning, and can get up as high as 85 F in the late afternoon ride home. A new jacket should be good for an hour in 35 F weather without requiring a heated liner.

I don't want a jacket with large logos on it. I want one where I can ride to an event and and wear it in the place of a sport coat without being totally out of place.

I looked at the following, so far:

BMW Rally Pro - Too heavy, too complex, expensive. One customer told me that he has one, and it isn't warm when temps are in the 30s and 40s. He also said that it isn't as waterproof as they would lead you to believe.

BMW Tourance 2 - Sleeves too tight. Didn't fit right.

BMW Atlantis 4 - Stiff, but I am hoping that it will loosen up. Seems to be the one for me.

Just for giggles, I stopped at the Harley-Davidson dealer. They have lots of leather jackets, but only one with armor, the FXRG. It was okay, but the armor seemed very thin.

I am looking for:

--> Your experience with the BMW Atlantis 4 jacket?

--> Your recommendation for a durable winter jacket?

Last edited by XMagnaRider; Feb 16th, 2009 at 11:18 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 2009, 11:20 am
Addict

I feel your pain, I'm living with a 6 year old Kilimanjaro, which has served me well, but it's not really waterproof, and very bulky/stiff. I started a search for a winter jacket that would give me the same mobility, as the mesh teck does. Rally Pro 2 very bulky/stiff so I remembered a trip I took last July with my beemer buddies to Newfoundland. We left NY it was in the 90's, and camping in Newfoundland in the upper 30's. The only guy I remember being comfortable through it all was the only non BMW rider. Hector has an FJR, and wore this real cool looking jacket turned out to be a Revit Cayenne Pro. He was dry/ and warm in the cold, and cool in the heat. Can't try his on I'm a tad bigger than his medium jacket so found one in Manhattan tried it, and fell in love with the fit, and degree of mobility it provides. I ordered the jacket and pants from Revzilla, and should have it next week. Take a look at them they may fit your specs.

MOA Member #106320
2003 R1150RT Titan Silver
2008 K1200GT Dark Graphite
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 2009, 12:35 pm
Enthusiast

Check out the BMW ComfortShell. Light, waterproof, adapts to temp changes, great armor. 4 season and no liners to fool with.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 2009, 1:32 pm
Looking for better limits...

I have the Atlantis IV, and it's fine for winter riding. It is heavy, and I kind of doubt you'll be ok with it at 85ºF. The only airflow is if you just use the outter zipper to zip the jacket closed, and a slight amount of air will come through the zipper. With the inner zipper zipped up as well, you're pretty much water-tight. Armor is great, though.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 2009, 2:36 pm
Veteran

I still recommend the Aerostich. I use a Darien jacket and an electric Kanetsu full jacket liner.
That combo is not going to make it in our 80° afternoons and the liner would have to be stowed. But then again, I don't know anything that will.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 2009, 2:59 pm
Enthusiast

David,

I fully understand your requirements for a winter jacket as I'm going through much of the same angst living in Texas. Believe you're wise to eschew the cheap stuff as you're throwing good money after bad.

With the 2009 BMW Apparel about to be introduced, there are some great deals to be had on the 2008 line. I just bought the Streetguard 2 jacket ($849 list) for a song from Sierra BMW. Since it's lined I should be warm on days that begin on the cold side and when things warm up, I can zip out the insert. The jacket is extremely well made and the amour is adjustable for different body types. While the Streetguard 2 (or new Streetguard 3) might not be the exact jacket for your needs, I feel you're on the right track with the BMW line.

I was so impressed with the quality of the SG2 jacket, I bought the Airflow 3 for summer.

Best of luck my friend!

David
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 2009, 4:24 pm
Veteran

Love my Comfort Shell!!!
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 2009, 4:24 pm
Noob

Take a look at the Joe Rocket Ballistic. It's good to below freezing. In the summer I leave the liner out, and for the afternoon commute home I unzip a few inches and leave the velcro cuffs open. The ballistic material does not let any wind or weather through and it's not that heavy and crunchy feeling.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 2009, 5:46 pm
Enthusiast

The best protection for your body is Kevlar. Go to www.motoport.com and check out there line. I have the GP-2 jacket. They also make a mesh Kevlar jacket and pants that people really like which I am hearing about more and more. Should be perfect here in SoCal.
The base price of the GP-2 jacket is $399.00. It has all of the armor in it. Nothing will protect you like this material. I bought the two liners for it which cost me another $150. Since you have a heated liner I would not even bother with an additional liner. My OTD cost was $630 with shipping . I also had a reflective stripe put on the arms so I would "light up" at night. This jacket is great in the rain as well. The lifespan of this jacket will easily be 10-15 years. I have a buddy who has been down at 75 mph with his '98 GS on top of him sliding down the road and not a mark on him. He has also flown over the hood of a dually at 45 mph and slid down the road at least 100' and not a mark on him. After my second get off in 2 years I decided to chuck the leather jacket and jeans for good.

'05 R1200RT, Ruby, as in RED, (current garage queen)
'04 R1150RT, '99 Ducati 748 BiPosto, '93 Seca II, '93 K1100RS, '83 Yamaha Maxim 750,
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 2009, 7:08 pm
Enthusiast

+1 for the Comfort Shell.

.....Mike
'10 K1300GT
Royal Blue Metallic
Garmin Zumo 660
Nolan N-103 w/ BT Kit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode