The R1200GS - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 10:05 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

The R1200GS

I've got a few bikes - my ZX14 2008 Special Edition and my 2006 K12S that I just picked up a little while ago and I have a 2006 Honda ST1300 ABS.

I'm thinking of trading in or selling my ST1300 and getting the R1200GS 2008. They have it in a lowered version which is just unbelievable for me. I have short legs and I've always wanted to ride one of those bikes. I recently took out a 650 WeeStrom and was very impressed with the bike - haven't had fun like that since I was a kid.

So I figured that the V-Strom is a great bike but is still a little tall in the saddle for me and I would like to have all the goodies that a GS has and if I tried to do that on the V-Strom, I really wouldn't save any money.

I haven't been able to ride one yet because I haven't been able to find a low version that I could ride but the new one that is at the dealer is all set up. They told me that if I was to buy the regular one and had to customize it to lower it, that it would cost me almost $1,700 for the suspension and shocks, so getting it from the factory is definitely the way to go.

Is there anyone out there who has the low version and has my same personal problem with short legs and how do they like the ride and do they ride agressively and do they go off road or stay on trails and pavement?

Would appreciate any input before I take the big plunge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 10:31 pm
Looking for better limits...

Sat on one at the motorcycle show, and again at the BMW dealer. I'm 5'9", 30" inseam. Flatfooted the bike, even had my knees bent a little.
Would be fine for fire trails and most green-diamond single track, but anything more gnarley and I think you'd be cussin' at yourself. Just one of those limits, I guess.

Good luck with the search. You might try calling some of the other BMW dealers in SoCal; it would be worth the trip if you can find one to try out a little.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 2009, 11:15 am
Rookie

You can lower a VStrom for about $30. You can also equip a Wee Strom with anything that you can equip a 1200GS with and still have a bike 1/3 the cost and certainly more rugged and reliable. If fact you could buy a new VStrom 650ABS (Good luck finding one) on what you lose in the first year of the GS’s depreciation.

There is a reason these T-Shirts are sold:

What is means is when mixed dual sports (BMW's and V-Stroms) are out riding, * OFTEN * The BMW's will break down or not start due to antennea security devices, and the Vstrom which does not have those or any other problems will often save the day by rescuing the BMW.

Known fact, most BMW GS'es do not leave their garage without a set of pull straps as they often are dead in the water for no reason.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHjOTN3xOOk

Edit: Just Found this.

Aside from long distant touring, these are the type of road the VStrom was built for:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZYHDJBkcuY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nLwP_uE8dA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0vIJ2W5hMc&NR=1

Last edited by Xavier6162; Feb 24th, 2009 at 11:27 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 2009, 9:52 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

I like the V-Strom allot. I rode a 650 without ABS. I would prefer to have the ABS and I think that would be just great but I usually ride 2-up and the 1000 V-Strom doesn't have ABS and I understand that I could save money by going with the V-Strom for many reasons - not too many BMW stores out there, the price and then the final drive (which is very expensive).

But I'm not scared off by all of the terrible stories about BMWs quality. If it really was true about everything, they wouldn't be selling so many bikes. Besides, I like the people here at the BMW sites and I hope to ride with some of you guys real soon.

A buddy of mine has a LT - you know, Light Truck - not for me, but he is very happy because he has a nice sized woman on the back and she is very comfortable with her heated seat and arm rests and her big trunk box and vanity mirror.

The GS is definitely pricey and I don't know that much about the boxer engine but I've heard lots of good things.

Allot of my friends have told me that I'm just wasting money on BMWs but to each his own.

The 1000 V-Strom is only 30 pounds or so more than the 650, I could put a lowering kit on it and change the seat and put some bags on it. I think going with soft bags would be better than the hard bags. Why try to make it heavier? Besides, we're like cowboys with our horses and our saddlebags. I'm always carrying too much and should lighten the load - ha, ha.

Thanks allot - really appreciate all the advice.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 2009, 12:08 pm
Noob

Go to www.advrider.com. All the info you could ever want.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 2009, 12:15 pm
Rookie

Go here too.......:

Strictly a VStrom Forum...StrormTrooper.

.......for questions concerning the DL1000 VStrom. There are a gazillion former GS owners there.

From what I gathered, a large number of DL1000 oweres lower their bikes. Easier than a oil change...which is PIE to do (less than 30 minutes). I have a 30 inch inseam but when I sit on a DL1000 I'm on my toes. I can flat foot the DL650. It is the seat that makes the difference. The DL1000 seat is wider and one inch higher. The seats between the DL1000 and DL650 or interchangable.

It's easier to swap out the seat. It's cheaper to lower the bike.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 2009, 3:16 am
Addict

Sounds like V-STROM is a much better bike for short people. That guy on the yellow bike bogging itself in the sand looks like a circus midget

A Honda Accord is far more reliable and 1/4 the price of a Porsche.....

You could buy a Toyota 4x4 for the depreciation of a Cayenne in the first year......

There are plenty of forums that espouse the virtues of the FJR over the GT but it always comes down to the price. If you wanna dance, you gotta pay the band!

There are hundreds of GS riders in my BMW club who ride and rally regularly and I dont know anyone who carries tow or tie straps. so where the "most GS riders" stuff comes from who knows.

Yes the ignition ring was a problem but is now sorted in a recall.

It sounds like if youre really short and/or dont want to or cant spend the money on a beemer, the V-Strom is a good compromise

Black stuff down, Shiny side up!______________________________
10 R1200RTSE
02 R1100S
07 K1200GT R.I.P.
86 K100RS Sold
07 R1200GSA Sold
07 Softail Heritage Sold
86 K100RS Sold
82 R100RS Sold
82 Suzi GSX1100 Sold
75 Honda 750/4 Sold
74 Yamaha XS650 Sold

Last edited by Dadicool59; Feb 27th, 2009 at 4:31 am.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 2009, 10:44 am
Rookie

I guess it's who you ask. I think the GS is a cool bike. According to VStormers who are former GS owners, the Strom is a better bike. I don't know hundreds of GS owners. I know three. All three have broken down (one 08 model with FD failure) and all three carry tow straps and tie downs.

This statement…..:

What is means is when mixed dual sports (BMW's and V-Stroms) are out riding, * OFTEN * The BMW's will break down or not start due to antennea security devices, and the Vstrom which does not have those or any other problems will often save the day by rescuing the BMW.

Known fact, most BMW GS'es do not leave their garage without a set of pull straps as they often are dead in the water for no reason.”

…..was copied from a dedicated GS adventurer/owner?

The Way Round was a cool video. Didn't like the ideal that the group had to have tons of money, endorsements, several support vehicles, support crew, sophisticated communications systems with links to BMW for technical issues, a spare bike and bike parts. All that crap and support was used and needed. All that extra SH!T took away the romance of the trip.

A few months later two kids (early 20s) on VStroms made the same trip. Unsupported with the cash in their pockets. The nature or differences between the two bikes in real world application is stunning.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 2009, 5:58 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Well, it looks like you guys out there have made me change my mind. I really like that GS but I haven't ridden it and from what everybody is saying here, I guess there is no need. So now I just have to make up my mind whether it is a 650 with ABS or the 1000.

I have a few friends who I ride with who have a WeeStrom in their collection so I guess I'm going to have one too.

Now I have to work out the deal on price. I'm not into that dealer prep stuff and the market is not going too well for any big purchases so maybe I'll get cut some slack - I doubt it though.

On the website for Suzuki, they give a curb weight and a dry weight and there sure is a big difference there. Also between the 2008 and 2009 but I guess it is just the fuel.

So now that you guys have got me going, how is it for tire selection on the V-Strom?
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 2009, 7:37 pm

Wtf???

Why are these guys paddling through the creek? Feet on the pegs, feet on the pegs. Do you ever see enduro guys riding like that? Nooooo. Maybe this event is the opposite of trials - more points for paddling more? Maybe they're canoeists who feel the need to paddle something?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfjGmo_aFio&NR=1

K100RS 1985
2008 GS Adventure
S1000RR
KTM 525EXC
Keeps me off the streets
Keeps BMW in the black

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode