Any NYC riders? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 2009, 10:44 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Any NYC riders?

I'm considering taking a job in Westbury, NY (Long Island, just past Queens/Brooklyn) and thinking about living in mid-town or the upper east side - somewhere near the Queensboro - so I would be doing a reverse commute. How feasible is this? How painful will that ride be each day? Am I out of my mind? The plan would be to garage the K12GT(1st Gen) in mid-town somewhere. I would also be on flex time with the ability to get to work anytime between 06 and 10. Any thoughts, comments, ideas or suggestions?

Thanks.

If you're afraid; don't do it. If you do it; don't be afraid. -Mongolian axiom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 2009, 9:41 am
Addict-oholic

I would do the research first about living in midtown/east side. Garaging your bike in Manhattan is quite expensive. In my neighborhood of Murray Hill ( 30's eastside), my local garage charges about $150.00 per month for bikes ($400.00 for cars).
The ride to Westbury is about 35 to 45 minutes on the Long Island expressway"the longst parking lost in the USA". if heavy traffic, about an hour. It is a lousy ride, especailly boring if there is no traffic. The good news is the HOV lane where bikes are allowed, but it does not start until the Nassau very often to know that at anytime, it can get bumper to bumper at anytime.

Welcome to the Big Apple and keep in touch. If you do move here, there is a wealth of touring roads north of the City, especailly nearby CT and upstate NY, less than an hour away.

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 2009, 10:04 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrykay
...The good news is the HOV lane where bikes are allowed...
There has been a lot of prior discussion on these forums about how NY was refusing to allow motorcycles in HOV lanes, despite federal regulations. Has that changed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 2009, 10:10 am
Addict

MarineK, 20 years ago there was a traffic pattern with actual rush hours. That is no longer the case traffic is anytime, in fact all the time. The reverse commute is actually worse, since the East River crossings are diverted for incoming traffic from 6AM until 10AM, and for outgoing traffic from 4PM until 7PM. that is to say in the morning they used outbound lanes for the inbound commute, which usually causes a reverse commute nightmare. Since you mention the 59th street bridge, thats what New Yorker's call it, they flip the upper roadway directions to coincide with the real commute, this screws the reverse commuters. If I were you, I would look to live in Brooklyn, or Queens then you will be OK with your plan. Welcome to the Big Apple, now you can't call us sweethearts

MOA Member #106320
2003 R1150RT Titan Silver
2008 K1200GT Dark Graphite
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 2009, 10:42 am Thread Starter
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008-K1200GT
Welcome to the Big Apple, now you can't call us sweethearts
Oh, don't read too much into that tag. I spent four years working in the Trade Center - thus I was once a sweetheart myself. However, my time in Manhattan was 17 years ago, and though I've been back it was always as a tourist.

I never even thought about the one way flow on the bridges. Damn. I have done a cursory search of what's available in Brooklyn. How are the neighborhoods now? Back when I lived in NYC there wasn't much restaurant / social-wise in Brooklyn but I've heard that has changed quite a bit. I keep hearing about Brooklyn Heights as a nice neighborhood. Does anyone have any recommendations? The nice thing about Brooklyn is there seems to be plenty of buildings with tax abatements. I've also looked into Long Beach, Lido Beach and Point Lookout as possibilities, but I know absolutely NOTHING about Long Island.

Any advice anyone has will be greatly appreciated. I'm single so I'm pretty flexible living arrangement-wise and would like to remain within striking distance of Manhattan.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 2009, 10:54 am
Addict

I was born in Brooklyn, and lived there, and in Queens for about 40 years. Been out on Long Island last 10 years or so. Long Island is a great place to raise a family, problem is the real estate taxes. If your looking to buy a house, make sure you check the real estate taxes first. You can look up the taxes at mynassauproperty.com. As for Brooklyn, and Queens, Brooklyn Height's is about as close to Manhattan living as you can get. Most of Brooklyn is shot, but some neighborhoods still ok. Park Slope, Carroll Gardens, and the Heights to name a few. Queens is pretty solid up North. Bayside, Kew Gardens, Forest Hills, stay away from South Queens, and North Brooklyn. Good luck

MOA Member #106320
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 2009, 11:15 am Thread Starter
Noob

You hit the nail on the head regarding taxes - talk about sticker shock! I pay .0067 per assessed value in NC! It really cuts into your purchasing power and as a single guy I have a hard time justifying contributing to the school systems and bloated municipal governments. What streets / boundaries actually define Brooklyn Heights? I keep hearing about it but can't figure out exactly where it is. Also, any recommendations for LI towns/areas around Westbury?

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 2009, 12:56 pm
Addict

Brooklyn Heights stretches from Old Fulton Street near the Brooklyn Bridge south to Atlantic Avenue and from the East River east to Court Street and Cadman Plaza. Adjacent neighborhoods are: DUMBO, Downtown Brooklyn, Cobble Hill and Boerum Hill. It is directly across the East River from Manhattan, and easily accessible to Downtown and multiple subway lines.

The neighborhood is largely composed of block after block of picturesque rowhouses and a few mansions. A great range of architectural styles are represented, including a few Federal-style houses from the early 19th century in the northern part of the neighborhood, brick Greek Revival and Gothic Revival houses, and Italianate brownstones. A number of houses, particularly along Pierrepont Street and Pierrepont Place are authentic mansions. Brooklyn Heights was the first neighborhood protected by the 1965 Landmarks Preservation Law of New York City. Plymouth Church of the Pilgrims is in Brooklyn Heights

MOA Member #106320
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 2009, 2:00 pm

MarineK, I wish I could get a .0067 real estate tax rate. I live in Illinois and pay just over 3% of the assessed fair market value of my home every year. Buying a house in this part of Illinois is a little like buying the right to pay rent to the government.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 2009, 11:03 pm
tah

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
There has been a lot of prior discussion on these forums about how NY was refusing to allow motorcycles in HOV lanes, despite federal regulations. Has that changed?
Motorcycles are good to go in HOV lanes on Long Island. LIE or I495 included.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode