Who's at fault? Cage or Bike? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 2005, 3:40 pm Thread Starter
Statmaster

Who's at fault? Cage or Bike?

http://media.putfile.com/CRAZY-MOTERCYCLE-CRASH

Arguments have been made on both sides at other sites, so let's see what the gang here has to say.

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 2005, 4:02 pm

Hard to build a case for the "Cage".

It is hard to tell whether or not this intersection is controlled. It does not look like a controlled intersection.
But if it is...... Then the only way it is not the "Cages" fault is if he had an arrow to make that left. If he did then the Moto ran the light.
Looks to me like the vehicle failed to yield to oncoming which puts fault squarely on him. What have I missed? Without standing on that street corner it is hard to get all the facts.
MG
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 2005, 4:26 pm
Enthusiast

Perhaps a better question is not who is at fault but could the motorcyclist have done anything to avoid the collision?

It seems to me that the car was in the opposing lane for a period of time before the cycle comes into view and yet there was no action to avoid the collision? Was the motorcyclist also not being very attentive? Again, maybe not legally responsible but might have been able to avoid the collision??

Brent Boshart
10 R1200GS ADV (his)
09 K1300S Light Grey (hers)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 2005, 4:59 pm
Throttle Jockey

Seems to me the bike was going way too fast for a congested road with cars turning into and exiting the gas station. I say rider's fault. I hope he lived.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 2005, 5:12 pm

Clearly a failure to yield for on-coming traffic !

A speeding ticket for the motorcyclist ,, after the ambulance ride !
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 2005, 5:17 pm
Addict

no question in my mind it was the fault of the cage...plain and simple regardless the speed of the motorcycle. the cage is making a left hand turn across the bikes lane....by law the cage is supposed to yield right of way to oncoming traffic. the cage problably never bothered to look prior to making their left turn or they looked and didn't see the bike coming. these type of accidents happen all the time because people either don't look, look but don't see the bike or mis-judge the speed of the bike. i hope the guy is OK
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 2005, 5:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellcraft
no question in my mind it was the fault of the cage...plain and simple regardless the speed of the motorcycle. the cage is making a left hand turn across the bikes lane....by law the cage is supposed to yield right of way to oncoming traffic. the cage problably never bothered to look prior to making their left turn or they looked and didn't see the bike coming. these type of accidents happen all the time because people either don't look, look but don't see the bike or mis-judge the speed of the bike. i hope the guy is OK
I wonder what the speed of the MC was and what the speed limit was? Speed does make a difference. If you are in a 25 mph zone and the bike is coming toward you at 75 or 80, then you see a bike blocks away and think there is time. Problem is the bike is going way faster than the posted limit, it gets there way faster than you'd expect.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 2005, 6:01 pm
bcg

The cage driver reminds me of the blue hairs here in south Florida now. They drive without much attention to the surroundings. Because they use their turn signal, that gives them the right to do what ever they want. Unfortunately, that does not help the cyclist who was moving a bit fast. At a slower speed, he might have had a chance to avoid the cage.

Hope he is OK.

Yuan
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 2005, 6:44 pm

No doubt the cage is at fault - turning left across traffic. Hard to watch the many flips the guy does over the hood.......damn - hope he lived to ride again.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 2005, 6:50 pm

I want to say it was the cage's fault but I can't say that it is 100% the cages's fault. It does look like the cage almost stops in the road BUT I can't ignore how fast the motorcycle was moving. For an area like that, he's going way too fast. On a road obviously wth stores and intersections, I take it slow and my eyes are scanning all over for someone to pull out in front of me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode