Unmounting the 6" rear tire - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 2009, 3:00 pm Thread Starter

Unmounting the 6" rear tire

We've been using the NoMar system for tire changing and are having a bear of a time breaking the bead on the 6" tire. I was wondering if anybody here has any tips for getting that tire off the rim? Yesterday it took 3 of us, the bead breaker, tire spoons and 20 minutes to get that sucker off the rim.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 2009, 5:47 pm
Addict

It's all about the technique. I struggled my first time with the KR wheels and my HF tire changer. Watch the Nomar videos they really helped me. Changing them now is cake ... seriously, I now hate pulling out the changer more than swapping the tires.

http://www.nomartirechanger.com/video/show/30
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 2009, 6:23 pm
Enthusiast

I did mine on my Nomar for the first time last month. The 6" wheel doesn't have much of a dish, so even when you squeeze the beads toward each other toward the middle of the wheel, you just don't gain a lot of slack. The 50 series tires with their short sidewalls are tough.
Warming the tire in the sun after you take off the wheel will help. It will never be easy unless someone else in doing it.
But you know as hard as it was, I know next time it will be easier. And I didn't mind as I was saving about $45-$50 per wheel/tire doing it myself.
I ruined a tip of the bar trying the first time on the 6" rear tire. Luckily, they sent replacement tips. I pulled it right out of the end and yes the pin was in. It just ripped through the plastic. It wasn't easily done, the next tip worked fine.
The front tire was a breeze, just like in the video.
Dave

KR Sport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2009, 1:04 am
Addict

I also use one of these which really helps.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2009, 2:14 am
Veteran

are you talking about breaking the bead? or removing the tire? Breaking the bead is simple. I understand the removal part. You know what really helps is a lot of tire LUBE. The center of our wheels are shallow. It really helps if you pull the tire to the center of the rim. Removing the tire is the easy part, putting a new one on the hard part. Heat up the tire in the sun or with a heater.

I think the biggest part is the LUBE and pulling the tire in the center of the rim.

Watch the NoMar videos on their website, they specifically address the BMW K1200 tires.

06 K1200R,76 Yamaha RD400 VOID 7/08 ,03 Kawi ZX-6R VOID 10/10/06, 94 Suzuki GSXR-750 VOID, 85 Yamaha FJ1100 VOID
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2009, 1:35 pm
Addict

I've got the whole nomar setup, bolted to the garage floor. Its the middle model (pro?)..

Your right, those K6's are a bear, the softer tires aren't quite as bad...on or off!

Breaking the bead/getting the tire off the rim should be pretty easy. Its that 2nd bead that gives me trouble of course. I like the looks of that mojobar over the nomar bar I have, but the nomar does have replaceable tips (did one already). The hardest part is getting the tool started under the bead, after that, it should be off the wheel in seconds.

Seems to me we should be talking about the install, the take-off should be pretty easy but gettin' those bad boyz back on the rim is a trick. I use the honda goldwing spoons I bought with the machine, they are huge and work faster than the machine (well, faster for me at least)

I do admit though, I didn't do the wood block thingy they show in the nomar films and I think I need to buy those yellow thingys they sell now too, keeps the tire held in place better than the original clamps.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode