I need help in picking a BMW - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 6:54 pm Thread Starter

I need help in picking a BMW

Hi gents (and ladies)

I had to sell my 2008 Triumph Tiger last fall. House fire/kids college and etc... Tough year to buy and sell a bike. Ok that said, my wife has given me the green light to begin my search and eventually buy another bike.

I am 46 - (I tell you that -health/flexibility/strength) is not an issue. 6' 4" 240/36" inseam.

Dream list - not really a priority but it is where I am leaning as I do my research.

1050 Tiger, 1000 VStrom, or 1200 GS
1200 RT
1300 GT
Concours/FJR

I dream of going off road like the GS Adventure photos. However, in reality, I will mostly ride across country/weekend trips and I will not go in hard to get to spots - maybe once twice in five years to camp etc....
I did ride my Tiger 990 miles in 16 hours so I am not afraid on riding for a while (missed iron butt due to downpour). I am looking for something I can jride to work and jump on and cruise with sufficient power/speed to scoot me down the road. Given the above-what do you think given my size I may be most comfortable riding. Please if you have any knowledge/experience and you can pass that on to me I would appreciate it. Cheers BC

PS the more I look at the RT/GT I really like the look and the stuff they come with. Thoughts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 7:10 pm
Addict

Welcome aboard!! The RT & the GT are where it sounds to me like you need to concentrate. Not sure if your aware of this or not, but BMW has the best test ride policy in the industry, and I strongly suggest you test ride them both. Not long ago they were offering weekend test rides. Pick up the bike Sat morning return it Monday. I came off an RT, and now have a GT so I will give you my two cents on the differences. The RT is a great bike, lots of torque down low, extremely reliable, bags are huge with lots of room I camped off mine plenty. The RT has a higher center of gravity, and feels heavier than the GT. The engine is a boxer, and the way it's set up you need to keep the RPM's high or the engine will lug under load. The RT is less nimble than the GT, but it's a workhorse. Oh almost forgot my pet peeve the RT is air cooled, and traffic causes it to overheat, it has to stay moving. The GT is much more powerful, and the engine delivers the power smoothly. The engine is so powerful it's all but impossible to lug. It's water cooled, and much more nimble that the RT. The RT had better protection, but only slightly better than the GT. The GT seems lighter, and leans over much more easily into the turns. Hope some of this helps you, others may have different opinions, but they are both great bikes.

MOA Member #106320
2003 R1150RT Titan Silver
2008 K1200GT Dark Graphite
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 9:03 pm
Veteran

The decision was between an RT and a GT for me. I chose the GT. I would have been happy with either one, but don't regret buying the GT at all. It is so versatile.

Best advice: Ride them both and see which one sings to you. If you can - get weekend test rides. If you can't, think about renting each of them for a day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2009, 1:28 am
2 heads are better than 1

I would recommend going to your local dealer and test ride both bikes. They are both highly competent and fun machines, just different approaches to the same issue. I think once you get to ride them both you'll get a feel for which suits you best. Either way you can't go wrong.

Been through 2 GTs (09 currently) and did an 850 mile day on the 08 with no problems. I did meet up with a 1200 RT on a ride and we blasted canyons for about 20 miles, and neither bike had any trouble pushing to its limits. The RT rider wound it up to about 130 mph and both bikes were stable as you could want. Given, I did pass him as I pulled to 154, so there's a slight difference in top speed.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 BMW R1200RT Polar Metallic
2008 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S Red (of course)

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2009, 9:41 am
Rookie

bigcountry,

With your physical dimensions, you will find the R1200GS a very comfortable bike that can do most anything. The K1200GT is a very impressive bike indeed. And BMW just keeps selling R1200RT's like crazy in spite of the price. It looks like I can't help you after all.

mac
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2009, 11:50 am

Slanted opinions

Since this is a K bile forum, think most opinions will be for the GT???

Are you asking the same question on other forums??

All are fine bikes in general, depends on model years and individual quarks of each and your interface/tolerance with each.

For me, you can have my GT when you pry it from my cold dead fingers.

Terry

2007 K1200 GT
1998 R1100 RT traded in
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2009, 5:30 pm

I'd say the GSA would suit you down to the ground - get a long test ride on one. I've done 1100 miles on mine is 17 hours riding in one go across Europe and took it off road when I got to my destination...

www.knobblies.org
the big trail bike club
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 2009, 5:58 pm
fas

model selections

Suggest you take a few demo rides. The feel of the bikes is very different. Slow speed handling may be more important if you are in traffic a lot. Do your test rides during the time when you will normally ride. Spend some time hanging around with the dealership guys to learn from them. Go to bike night a few weeks and look at other bikes while talking with owners. Most riders are very willing to share insights. Take your time and study all the subtle differences.

Rob Nelson
http://www.linkedin.com/in/robnelson44140
www.e-bikefun.com
2007 Super Duke 990
Orange Juice
2006 BMW K1200GT (now lives in Wisconsin)
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC (now lives in Georgia)
Toscana Temptress
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 2009, 6:04 pm
Addict

Test ride the RT, GT and GS (oh, what the heck, ride everything they've got!), then you'll know for sure which one you'd want. I bet you're pleasantly surpised by the GS's handling. Let us know what you think!

Deb and Dean Sauer
Golden, CO

The cure for boredom is riding motorcycles, and there is no cure for riding motorcycles...
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 2009, 6:08 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTaylor
I would recommend going to your local dealer and test ride both bikes. They are both highly competent and fun machines, just different approaches to the same issue. I think once you get to ride them both you'll get a feel for which suits you best. Either way you can't go wrong.

Been through 2 GTs (09 currently) and did an 850 mile day on the 08 with no problems. I did meet up with a 1200 RT on a ride and we blasted canyons for about 20 miles, and neither bike had any trouble pushing to its limits. The RT rider wound it up to about 130 mph and both bikes were stable as you could want. Given, I did pass him as I pulled to 154, so there's a slight difference in top speed.

Deb and Dean Sauer
Golden, CO

The cure for boredom is riding motorcycles, and there is no cure for riding motorcycles...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode