Wear a back protector? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 2005, 10:42 am Thread Starter
Telepathetic

Wear a back protector?

Does anyone wear a back protector or additional body armor beyond what comes installed in your basic riding gear? My wife and I have BMW gear and wear it every time we ride. After watching the cage vs car video posted by eljeffe it has me thinking, is it time to increase the body armor. Anyone wear more gear for everyday street riding and if so what do you wear?

Darrel
'06 GT - Blue
85K on the clock
_'07 GS - Yeller
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 2005, 11:14 am
Veteran

Back Protector Shoot-Out

Sir Slowflyin... This may or may not be helpful.. I did a report/shoot-out on them back in July...

http://piratesk12site.net/backprotector.htm

Jerry D. Finley ("Danger" is my middle name)
"I speed, therefore I am. "

post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 2005, 12:07 pm

I have one - and I sometimes wear it. I heard that it should be the second most important piece of protection (after a helmet).

I know I should be wearing it on every ride - but I am more comfortable without.

NB: My 9 year old daugther always wear one - when she is on the backseat

br Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 2005, 12:13 pm
bcg

My Rocket tex jacket came with back, elbow and shoulder protection. I believe it's the CE type. Did not realize the value of the back protector until my end-over accident. My orthopod noted that my injuries were limited to 5 broken ribs because of the back protector. Otherwise, I would have broken my back.

Yuan
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 2005, 12:35 pm

I use the ForceField back protector 90% of the time (the one Jerry recommends). I wore it all summer without any major discomfort (in New Mexico). It doesn't get in the way and makes me feel mui better protected. It doesn't seem as bulky as similar Bohn or Dainese protectors. My girlfriend bought a pair of bicycle-type shorts with the same armor built into the hips and butt, and recommends them also. Not cheap, but cheaper than rebuilding the spine.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 2005, 1:04 pm
Enthusiast

I have full GP armor in my Vanson fully perf'd set, along with their articulated back protector, wish my BMW Tourgard suit had as good of armor, been thinking of removing the BMW armor in it and getting a seperate armor set (something like Icon or such)for it so I will be as protected in the winter as I am in the Summer.

05 K1200S Blue (street bike)
01 996 Yellow (trackbike)
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 2005, 1:06 pm

BMW riding gear IMO have light duty armor. I do own some tho. I like my Dainese leather jacket more so, it has the hard back protector and also hard elbows. Since I like riding in jeans, the Bohns adventure armor works well too. Has the tail bone protector. Not the best hard underpant armor, but something is better than nothing. I never get on the bike without armor. Even for the shortest ride, no exceptions!

'04 K1200RS- sold
'06 R1150GS Adventure ( Final Edition ) ( Still in Crate) 4-sale
'04 Honda RC51 ( still in the crate!) 4 sale
'08 BMW HP2 Sport #43 (awsome)
'09 BMW HP2 Sport w/ABS #77 ( still in crate)
'10 Harley Davidson CVO Street Glide
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 2005, 2:23 pm
Rider Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowflyn
Does anyone wear a back protector or additional body armor beyond what comes installed in your basic riding gear? My wife and I have BMW gear and wear it every time we ride. After watching the cage vs car video posted by eljeffe it has me thinking, is it time to increase the body armor. Anyone wear more gear for everyday street riding and if so what do you wear?
Howdy Darrel,

Short answer:
Nancy and I wear pretty much what you describe and do not plan on significantly raising the level of gear for our general riding.

Long answer:
Background, I ride about 25,000+ miles a year. Of that, we ride two-up about 10,000 miles a year. Either way, solo or two-up, we ride at 8+/10ths in the twisties and always "aggressively defensive" amongst the cages.

Regarding gear, Nancy and I do about the same as you describe. The BMW gear is very good and we wear it faithfully, though not 100% of it 100% of the time. While we all want to 100% protect ourselves and loved ones 100% of the time, it just isn't practical in terms of money and, or, the time it takes to gear-up relative to the undertaking planned. An extreme example would be advocating wearing a m/c helmet while driving in your car. Of course it would be safer, but it would lo much of a PITA.

Since you're on the BMW and using BMW gear, it is clearly not the money that's the constraint in increasing the safety margin with gear. Most likely it is, or will be, the "time expense" of putting on the gear relative to the ride you're about to take. If we make the "time cost" too high, then the riding will be reduced.
-Running to the store for a loaf of bread and a gallon of milk may warrant jeans, tennis shoes, m/c jacket, light gloves and helmet. The gear is "appropriate" for this ride.
-An anticipated "spirited ride" in the mountains, even when it's hot, would call for heavy boots, kevlar gloves, high end m/c pants/jacket both with robust armor for me and the Mrs.

Some say, "All The Gear, All The Time". But what is, "all the gear"?:
- Is it every new fangled do-dad that comes along?
- Is it "all the gear" you happen to own?
- Or, is it all of the gear that is appropriate for what you're going to be doing?

I have thought about adding the heavier armor and may go with it for me. I plan on increasing my level of riding on the K-R to "track levels" this Spring. On those anticipated occassions the time and expense of the extra armor would seem to be worthwhile. If Nancy wants to ride two-up on the track, we'd go with the armor for her as well.

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05
'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
RCB, AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 2005, 3:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyOmaha
Howdy Darrel,

Short answer:
Nancy and I wear pretty much what you describe and do not plan on significantly raising the level of gear for our general riding.

Long answer:
Background, I ride about 25,000+ miles a year. Of that, we ride two-up about 10,000 miles a year. Either way, solo or two-up, we ride at 8+/10ths in the twisties and always "aggressively defensive" amongst the cages.

Regarding gear, Nancy and I do about the same as you describe. The BMW gear is very good and we wear it faithfully, though not 100% of it 100% of the time. While we all want to 100% protect ourselves and loved ones 100% of the time, it just isn't practical in terms of money and, or, the time it takes to gear-up relative to the undertaking planned. An extreme example would be advocating wearing a m/c helmet while driving in your car. Of course it would be safer, but it would lo much of a PITA.

Since you're on the BMW and using BMW gear, it is clearly not the money that's the constraint in increasing the safety margin with gear. Most likely it is, or will be, the "time expense" of putting on the gear relative to the ride you're about to take. If we make the "time cost" too high, then the riding will be reduced.
-Running to the store for a loaf of bread and a gallon of milk may warrant jeans, tennis shoes, m/c jacket, light gloves and helmet. The gear is "appropriate" for this ride.
-An anticipated "spirited ride" in the mountains, even when it's hot, would call for heavy boots, kevlar gloves, high end m/c pants/jacket both with robust armor for me and the Mrs.

Some say, "All The Gear, All The Time". But what is, "all the gear"?:
- Is it every new fangled do-dad that comes along?
- Is it "all the gear" you happen to own?
- Or, is it all of the gear that is appropriate for what you're going to be doing?

I have thought about adding the heavier armor and may go with it for me. I plan on increasing my level of riding on the K-R to "track levels" this Spring. On those anticipated occassions the time and expense of the extra armor would seem to be worthwhile. If Nancy wants to ride two-up on the track, we'd go with the armor for her as well.

100% agree about the "time cost" taking on all the gears - also the comfort factor play a role. I like the "free feeling" driving in a pair of jeans and a t-shirt. Calculated risk ;-)

I don't understand "we ride at 8+/10ths in the twisties" ??

/Michael (K12GT)
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 2005, 4:26 pm
Rider Journeyman

10ths scale...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratemut
I don't understand "we ride at 8+/10ths in the twisties" ??
Howdy Michael,

I've heard the "10ths" used in a general context of personal pace for a ride, example, I took the corner at 7/10ths. I really haven't ever seen or heard a consensus meaning.

When I heard it used I gave it some thought and have come to use it as a short-hand way to describe/understand my riding.

For me, it means this:
My skills have an upper limit and that is 10/10ths at any moment in time. The pace that I can ride is limited to 100% of my skill set, less the "real" limitations of the motorcycle, less the "appearant" limitations of the environment. Riding at the limit of all three components is 10/10ths.

The lower limit would be riding slowly on a "forgiving" m/c in a controlled space without obstacles (closed parking lot). That would be a 1/10th ride.

Note the scale increases in an exponential fashion. Example, go from that 1/10th closed parking lot to the city streets, I'd better be at 5/10ths instantly. In that case it's the environment that drove the demand on our level of riding potential.

Most of the time, it is the speed component that stretches our skills. So a 30% increase in speed on a highway, say 50 mph increased to 75 mph, might represent only a 1/10th increase in the demands for the ride. At the upper limits, say taking a posted 35mph corner at 70 mph might be 8/10ths, increasing the pace a mere 5% might represent a 9/10ths ride. This could be because we're running out of skill, or bike, or road, or a combination of all of them.

That's my .02

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05
'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
RCB, AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"

Last edited by BillyOmaha; Dec 9th, 2005 at 6:43 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode