Rain Gear recommendations - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 2009, 8:36 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Rain Gear recommendations

Getting ready for "the big trip" (Central Texas to WSB race in Utah) next month... This is my first big trip in years... Anybody have any recommendations for raingear? Not that it is going to rain on my big trip, but Id like to be ready if it does.

Thanks for your advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 2009, 8:42 pm

I've had good luck with the BMW Pro rain suit ... lightweight , good protection , packs easily and all for about $125.00
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 2009, 10:09 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by badge502
Getting ready for "the big trip" (Central Texas to WSB race in Utah) next month... This is my first big trip in years... Anybody have any recommendations for raingear? Not that it is going to rain on my big trip, but Id like to be ready if it does.

Thanks for your advice!

I too am riding to Miller for the races and will be using the best piece of rain gear I've ever owned--my Stich. I just hate having to stop to put rain gear on rain gear off and that was one of the reason I went with a Roadcrafter one piece. It is one of the best pieces of gear I've ever owned.

And you can count on rain. For the past 3 years on the way out of Austin I've left in thunderstorms. Last year we rode through sleet and snow later in the day in New Mexico.

I do have rain gear too, but have not used it in years. Tourmaster stuff....well made.

Oh, one last suggestion....Gloves
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 2009, 10:10 pm
Veteran

May I add, "Does anyone have raingear arrangement suggestions?"

I have heard that some riders have problems with water running down from under their elbows to the inside of their gloves. Is it better to put the raingear elastic outside the glove gauntlet?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 2009, 11:16 pm
Noob

I have always used the Tourmaster or Honda raingear stuff with arostich tripledigit gloves. Good price and works

IBA # 33267

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 2009, 9:12 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by badge502

Thanks for your advice!
I bought a set of "Motoboss" raingear from Cycle Gear. While I live in a place where you don't normally need raingear, this set work very well for taking along on a trip and doubles as a windbreak over your mesh jacket. Also the price was right.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 2009, 9:57 am
Riding in company

I also recommend the BMW one-piece suit. I rode through two full days of hard rain about two weeks ago, and stayed bone dry. Except my gloves. I bought the three-fingered rain gloves from Aerostitch, and my gloves got damp. It may have been because I didn't have them arranged properly (cuffs under vs over) because the seams appeared will sealed.

The BMW suit, size XL, fit over my leathers. I made a little hole inside the zipper flap to bring my Gerbing power and earphone leads through. Temperature regulation is the trick, since I did get overheated when the temp went up and I was wearing too much gear under. Have fun...or pretend to, since, IMHO, touring in the rain really sucks.

BillA
Jersey Shore
K1200RS '04
BSA Victor '68ish
Club Car golf cart '92
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 2009, 10:37 am
Strafist

My winter stuff is already waterproof. I use Frogg Toggs when it's mesh suit time. Of course, when it's full out summer, I don't even bother. When it rains, it's great.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 2009, 1:45 pm
Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
May I add, "Does anyone have raingear arrangement suggestions?"

I have heard that some riders have problems with water running down from under their elbows to the inside of their gloves. Is it better to put the raingear elastic outside the glove gauntlet?
Yep, otherwise everything that runs down the sleeves goes into the gloves.

I have been using a Firstgear 3/4 length Waterproof jacket for over a decade and it keeps the upper body dry. Lower body Firstgear riding pants. If I am wearing jeans I have a LL Beans goretex rain gear pants. They do double duty as ski pants in the winter. Unlike some, we have a riding season, right now it is the wet portion of the riding season. 4 dry days in the last 14-15.

Good waterproof gloves are very important, preferably with insulation between your hands and the goretex or other waterproofing. Cold water really pulls the heat from your hands, typically a wet 60 degree day makes you appreciate the heated grips. Soaked gloves even if you hands are dry inside just suck the heat away.

'07 K1200GT Crystal Gray Metalic
'00 Ducati 900 Monster
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 2009, 2:39 pm

I have a rain suit from the Harley dealer that works great. Several storms no problems. Jacket and pants each have built in pouch that they roll into. Small and compact and light enough to wear without overheating.

Frogg Troggs were also highly recomended, but cost a bit more.

Terry

2007 K1200 GT
1998 R1100 RT traded in

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode