leather jackets - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2009, 2:04 pm Thread Starter
Addict

leather jackets

I keep hemmin and hawin, trying to solve 6 problems with one jacket of course

I really like the vented racing jkt by Foxcreek leathers but it has no armor. It does have extra leather in the impact areas but still....

I'm also looking at vansons, similar style but with armor.

I'd really like armor in the jkt so thats taking me down to a couple choices.

I didn't like the coats from johnson leathers except one of them, still not sure about that one, but it does come with the armor in it.

I guess we can't have the cake and eat it too, I want a 'safe' jacket but one I can wear around casually, I don't think you can have both unless you get a coat where it has pockets for armor (like the foxcreek jkts). decisions decisions...

what are ya'll wearing and happy with out there?

ps...trying to stick w/american made but not if I can't find anything that works for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2009, 5:39 pm
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldbikin
I keep hemmin and hawin, trying to solve 6 problems with one jacket of course

I really like the vented racing jkt by Foxcreek leathers but it has no armor. It does have extra leather in the impact areas but still....

I'm also looking at vansons, similar style but with armor.

I'd really like armor in the jkt so thats taking me down to a couple choices.

I didn't like the coats from johnson leathers except one of them, still not sure about that one, but it does come with the armor in it.

I guess we can't have the cake and eat it too, I want a 'safe' jacket but one I can wear around casually, I don't think you can have both unless you get a coat where it has pockets for armor (like the foxcreek jkts). decisions decisions...

what are ya'll wearing and happy with out there?

ps...trying to stick w/american made but not if I can't find anything that works for me.
I have a Mark 2 Challenger Vanson Jacket and Iove it. It is thick and protecting, I also have a BMW textile jacket with a liner for rain and cold riding, also a heated liner for real cold. Have fun shopping

2008 K1200GT Adventurine Silver
2007 K1200LT (gone)
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2009, 6:25 pm

Vanson or BMW

Vanson is very good. I have one and my favorite is the BMW Atlantis. It is probably the finest looking jacket to wear anywhere, has armor and is waterfroof (the Vansons are not)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2009, 6:36 pm
Enthusiast

If you want the best protection for your body with armor, liners, etc. you should be looking at the Kevlar Motoport clothing. I have the GP-2 jacket with both liners (never used the inner inside liner). If you have electric stuff I would probably pass on at least one of the liners maybe both. I have nothing but good things about the 2 piece Kevlar Mesh suit. This combo will set you back about $800-$900 but will last at least 10 years. I have a buddy who has had his GP-2 jacket/pants for almost 15 years. He has been in two accidents, one at 45 and one at 70 with his '95 GS on top of him sliding down the road and no marks whatsoever.

'05 R1200RT, Ruby, as in RED, (current garage queen)
'04 R1150RT, '99 Ducati 748 BiPosto, '93 Seca II, '93 K1100RS, '83 Yamaha Maxim 750,
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2009, 8:34 pm
Let's Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithb
If you want the best protection for your body with armor, liners, etc. you should be looking at the Kevlar Motoport clothing. I have the GP-2 jacket with both liners (never used the inner inside liner). If you have electric stuff I would probably pass on at least one of the liners maybe both. I have nothing but good things about the 2 piece Kevlar Mesh suit. This combo will set you back about $800-$900 but will last at least 10 years. I have a buddy who has had his GP-2 jacket/pants for almost 15 years. He has been in two accidents, one at 45 and one at 70 with his '95 GS on top of him sliding down the road and no marks whatsoever.
I'll give a second for Motoport. May not be the best looking, but you can't beat the protection. Starts out stiff but softens with time (washes). The kevlar mesh is great for hot weather, then add a liner for cool or wet weather, then add a Gerbing under the liner and you can ride in the really cold stuff.

2006 K1200GT
2009 G450X
2004 KTM525 SX
199? Dune Buggie
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2009, 1:20 am
Addict

I am the Imelda Marcos of riding jackets and one of them is the Fox Creek Vented Racing Jacket.

Ive had it for a few years and it still looks new. The purchase price is excellent and given our climate I wear this jacket more than any other and yes you are right in that it falls short in the armour department.

From what i can gather the folk at Fox Creek are pretty high on customer service and I know that they do a fair bit of customizing for size etc.

If you havent done it already maybe a call to them might see them make a jacket for you with armour? Your money will also then be staying in the USA!

Good Luck

Black stuff down, Shiny side up!______________________________
10 R1200RTSE
02 R1100S
07 K1200GT R.I.P.
86 K100RS Sold
07 R1200GSA Sold
07 Softail Heritage Sold
86 K100RS Sold
82 R100RS Sold
82 Suzi GSX1100 Sold
75 Honda 750/4 Sold
74 Yamaha XS650 Sold
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2009, 9:47 am Thread Starter
Addict

Ya know dadicool, I was thinking the same thing. I keep looking at jackets and keep going back to one or two styles. I do like the vansons too, my vanson mesh (older style) is great. Only thing is, no collar, so the wind/dust storms crossing the SW are a pain, literally. But I really like the foxcreek style and its made in WVA to boot.

On the textiles, I've had quite a few and liked them ok, here's what I've been thru:

Firstgear mesh (gave away)
Vanson mesh (still use)
Gerike (sport jkt, came free with my 01 FZ1 purchase)...I liked that jacket (gave away)
Darien pants and jacket, still have the pants as backup, sold the darien (owned 2 actually)
Cheep leather, triple thick (competition) but no armor. Looks great. Stiching sucks.
Savannah II, BMW..great jkt, a bit large for gerbings underneath, too loose with a t shirt on.

Mmm...I think thats it.

gear is so hard to buy, its expensive and if you don't like it, you won't wear it (don't ask me how I know that).

I think the motoport is similar to the darien in construction and I just didn't like it much in general, design is great, just a personal thang. I wore the dariens for years/lots of miles so I have some time in them.

Maybe I'm a hardly wannabee, I dunno, I just like leather jackets and have always wanted a nice one so maybe its time to jump.

I also need to send both of our Savannah II's in for zippers and velcro, I can't keep the coat closed in the wind. I'll do that when I have a backup to wear.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2009, 5:46 pm

Mars

I almost forgot about these guys:
http://home.mira.net/~gary/jackets-m.htm
I ordered a complete suit from them years ago, and because of the strength of the dollar then, it was very affordable. They will custom make stuff in different colors if you want. They also have kangaroo (which I would have ordered if I knew more then). Good luck.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2009, 1:23 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Thanks for the help/links ya'll.

I rode over to Irv Seaver's BMW for the first time, nice place and people! Lots of gear inventory, including bikes.

tons of jackets but only vanson leathers, all were perf except the one i tryed on....ahem...I'm old and all but daym, the jkt fit great until I got to the waistline, i could put a couple small children in there!!! I'll have to watch out for that, there was no adjustable waist on this one either. didn't catch the model, plain jane with some armor (no back).

Being in socal, I guess the leathers dont' move too fast. There are some really nice textiles out there these days too, tempting!! but I've already got a good textile so on to the leathers....
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2009, 1:52 pm

I'm going to give credit where credit is due. I use a Harley Davidson FXRG jacket. It has a VERYsoft and supple leather shell with a heavy-duty waterproof liner. It's fully-armored and has tons of pockets. It's not cheap at around $600, but it's a solid jacket.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode