Who buys this stuff? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2009, 7:12 pm Thread Starter

Who buys this stuff?

I was reading the post about leather jackets posted by idbikin. It got me to thinking. ( A rare Occurrence so I had to act on it). There is a laundry list of motorcycle gear manufacturers. But who's buying all that stuff? Not throwing any stones, but Harley riders have an image that does not include ATGATT. And the "sportbike" crowd is predominantly a younger crowd and (as I've seen many times) aren't big proponents of gear. Granted, there are probably exceptions to both these profiles, but the majority seem to fit into that group. Whereas, the BMW lot tend to fall into the ATGATT group. For the most part. Not making any judgments here. Just a generalization of what I've observed.
So I come back to the question of "who's buying this gear". They have to be selling enough to stay in business. And there can't be enough of us to do that alone. This isn't as important as our economic situation. Being a victim I can attest to that. I was just wondering if others had had any thoughts on this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2009, 7:24 pm
Veteran

I live in a "helmetless" state I see alot of jackets on riders without a helmet kinda of a waste to save your torso but crush your head..think its more a fashion statement
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2009, 8:41 pm

Well, how many jackets do you own? I have 4 - 2 leather, 2 textile (regular and summer-weight). Not to mention the overpants, rainsuit, 4 pairs gloves (2 regular, 1 summer, 1 winter) and 3 helmets. So perhaps it's not the absolute numbers of riders, but that those buying gear are buying multiple sets.

It may also depend on the climate - I notice now in NC more people riding in street clothes (but they do have helmets). Come fall, the jackets come out. Frankly, I'm an ATGATT guy myself so I'll sweat in the summer just in case it's my day to crash...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2009, 9:00 pm
Addict

I guess I'm buying it since I have at least 4,000.00 worth of stuff. Enough for two riders fully equipped.

MOA Member #106320
2003 R1150RT Titan Silver
2008 K1200GT Dark Graphite
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2009, 10:08 pm
Addict

There are many of us out here and the bitch on the back.

But you are right, I have three sets,
Full leather
full summer
and full BMW phase three suite.

two helmets.
five gloves
one vest
one heated vest

and the beat goes on. but the last thing i bought was two years ago.

I am lucky my Bitch fell off, so I don't need to double my order. (you got to love the torqure on this machine)
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2009, 10:41 pm
Rookie

My wife and I are gear hogs, we buy everything we need for our hobbies. I have 2 mesh, 2 touring and 2 winter jackets plus 2 Euro leather jackets( old cafe style). A few helmets, a bunch of gloves and only one pair of overpants. My wife does not ride but has a nice jacket and helmet. We're old , have no kids and both have nice jobs. We buy because that is part of our hobby.

Mick
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2009, 4:19 am
Addict

When I was doing my daily office commute I wanted a jacket (and pants) I could wear over a smart suit. I searched high and low for a jacket that looked more of an outdoor jacket than a riding jacket and was safe.

Why are most jackets black I ask? It's got to be the worst color for safety. Few of the jackets I looked at had reflective 'piping' or strips and most were black. In the end I found an armored enduro/motorsport textile jacket in blue and red which looked like the upmarket outdoor jackets that many now wear for fashion.That jacket is now worn out and I shall be looking again.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2009, 5:53 am
Veteran

i have a buttload of stuff too. 2 leather jackets, 2 mesh jackets, leather pants, jeans, would have had another set of textile pants and jacket, but lost in a crash, 5 sets of gloves, and gear for the lady.

around here, the sportbike crowd tends to wear most of their gear, including gloves, helmet, jackets, and boots. most of them wear jeans though. I live in an area where there are tons of bikes. I was suprised when I attended a "Sportbike Night" at Chris Webber's restaurant in sacramento. I thought it would be an Icon wearing squidfest. Most of the riders had all their gear, including the kids, although I did see alot of Icon gear.

take a look at Craigslist at all the gear for sale also. Tons of people selling gear, many new riders who get rid of their bikes.

06 K1200R,76 Yamaha RD400 VOID 7/08 ,03 Kawi ZX-6R VOID 10/10/06, 94 Suzuki GSXR-750 VOID, 85 Yamaha FJ1100 VOID
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2009, 10:31 am
Addict

Since I started riding a motorbike again instead of a mountain bike in 2001 (kiddies grew up), I can't even imagine how much $$ I've spent on gear. It has to be near 10 grand.

Aria/Shoei helmets, boots, gloves...I even have a cheesy leather, paid about 280 for it years ago. I usually wear on near daily basis, gear that is worth about 2 grand.

I'm counting the wife/daughters gear also, over the years. Three diff suits before the wife settled on a couple of BMW suits.

the more I think about it, my estimate could be low

Not really gear hogs per say but I travel all over the USA (sometimes 2 up) and need gear that we are comfy in and also well protected.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2009, 12:58 pm

Not really gear hogs per say but I travel all over the USA (sometimes 2 up) and need gear that we are comfy in and also well protected.[/QUOTE]

I too have a bunch of stuff. I don't get to ride as much as I want during the year but I have all this gear because I ride the whole year except when the snow is around. I think the people that cover more miles &/or ride the whole year regardless of seasons acquire more of the gear than the casual riders that stop when the temps are too hot or below 50 degrees.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode