Spencers Motorcycle Seat Mods - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2009, 11:47 am Thread Starter

Spencers Motorcycle Seat Mods

Has anyone tried Spencers Seat Mods in Florida? From the website, significantly cheaper than custom seats with fast turnaround.

http://greatdaytoride.com/Home_Page.php

Terry

2007 K1200 GT
1998 R1100 RT traded in
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2009, 11:53 am
2 heads are better than 1

I think it's probably a "you get what you pay for" type of thing. If the shape and/or contour of the seat is the root cause (which I think is the case in a lot of seat issues, including mine) this won't solve a thing. It may work for some, but I'll stick with my Rick Mayer saddles.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 BMW R1200RT Polar Metallic
2008 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S Red (of course)

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2009, 12:26 pm
Addict

I think getting a seat right means they have to ride bikes or have developed their seats from the experience of doing a few, getting feedback, learning and improving. It seems more of an art and riders are different shapes, weight and height.

Any decent furniture upholsterer can cover a seat, but modifying and or replacing the foam contour to get something that works better needs a bit more skill.

For the more upright ride I prefer now, the KRS seat seems to start too far away from the bars and I can't see any way of re-shaping and making the first 8 inches of the stock seat more comfy for my tackle.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2009, 12:44 pm

I was thinking of getting my seat done last summer & shot him an e-mail with my concerns & requirements. He was straight forward with his answers & the results that can be accomplished with his system (the end result will not be everything I wanted). I did not end up getting my seat done due to his honest reply which I think says something about his character.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2009, 5:06 pm
Riding in company

After driving myself crazy with seat options, I decided to try a Spencer seat. I spoke with him on the phone and he declined to do my stock RS seat. He said that the pan was constructed of a brittle polymer which can not be trusted not to crack. He told me that he has not seen a stock seat without cracks along the staple line. Other seat-builders will modify a stock seat, but he's not interested. I practically begged him to give it a try - absolving him of all responsibility..but no go. As said above - at least he's up front about it. Oh well.

This was in advance of a trip to Texas. I did it on the stocker with a sheepskin pad and my butt got pretty sore. I'm still looking for a seat. FWIW, I'll probably shut up about the looks ( ) and get a Russell.

BillA
Jersey Shore
K1200RS '04
BSA Victor '68ish
Club Car golf cart '92
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2009, 9:24 pm

BillA

I too had contacted to Spencer to mod the K-GT seat. He put me off for a month cause he was too busy. Then when it came time to send him the seat, I got the same 'too brittle' story and thus ended my story with Spencer. Although he showed me some pictures of cracked pans, I just wonder how Mayer or Russell are able to successfully restaple the seat cover without destroying the pan.???

Anyway, I ended up sending the seat to Bill Mayer and have been using the new one for a month or so. Excellent work, very quick turnaround, and much more comfortable than BMW's stock effort.

Ron
08 K12GT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode