RT/GT... Wow…it all has me confused now. - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2009, 3:58 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

RT/GT... Wow…it all has me confused now.

Yea, talked about to death this RT or GT thingy. I’m getting close to a decision methinks. I won’t be doing the standard test drive however. I plan on renting both for a day an empty the tanks.

But….

Made another observation today and was wondering if anyone else noticed it too.

Went to a Dealer…again today. And of course they had three colors of the 09 RT available and two of the 09 GT. By the way, that black RT has got to be the sexist looking bike made thus far! Wow!...as long as it’s kept clean.

Anyway, I know the weights of the bikes are close. 20 or so pounds without the GT’s bags. And the bags were off both the RTs and GT…..the GT is a Heavy Ass bike. The weight difference feels a lot more than 20 or even 40 pounds.

I’m sorry. I didn’t intend it as a snipe of the GT. The GT just happens to be at the Top of my list. But in all honesty the weight difference is a little turn-off. And you notice it right away when going back and forth between the bikes. Not a deal killer. But it could be part of a package deal killer if other thinks show during the rental.

Is it my imagination? Do I secretly want an RT and looking for an excuse? I don’t know. All my computer wallpaper is over the GT. My search engine pulls up pages of GT links. Ninety percent of my internet time is spent on GT Forums. I usually glance at RT forums looking for GT info. I tell everyone that the GT is my next bike and I’ve, from time-to-time, turned my nose up at the RT.

I had, unknowingly, a frown on my face when balancing and sitting on the GT. I smiled when I was sitting on and balancing the RT. Salesman noticed and mentioned it. Asked me if I wanted to test the RT right then and there. I didn't...cause I want a K1300GT...I think.

When I left he gave me the brochure of the RT. And I wasn’t bothered by it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2009, 4:53 pm
Addict-oholic

The 20 lbs difference does not mean anything. Maybe, when you are in the showroom straddling the bikes, it may feel different. The moment, you get moving, there is no contest. My buddy purchased the RT only because he has a very short inseam and needs to be flatfooted at a stop and the RT low low seat option is much lower than the GT. We do some switching here and there, and the GT blows it away. Oh, there are 3 colors for the GT: red, blue and beige.

I got my 1300GT a week ago and it is so good..

Itis a big decision, but your heart seems to know which bike you really want. Do them both on long test drives and you will know which bike you really want.

Good luck!!.

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2009, 7:43 pm
Veteran

I noticed much of what you are saying when I test drove the GT over the RT.

My old RT fit like a glove and the wind buffeting was pretty tame on it too. The lower CG of the RT made it appear much lighter in weight. Plus, was it very easy to work on like for valve adjustments. No water. I could do all the service to the bike myself and even put in new transmission seals when they leaked (i.e. 3 of 5 began leaking due to heat - they were quite brittle after 10 years) as the tranny sits right over the Cat. Clutch spline lubing was another issue but it gets easier after you do one. It's been around a long time and maybe it has the bugs worked out of it.

The GT is more speed driven and it seems narrower to me than the RT. If you don't like the speed affect, maybe the RT will do it.

Have fun and lets us know which you pick.

Mack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2009, 9:51 pm
Rookie

Both the RT and the GT are great bikes, each with their own appeal. I loved my RT and thought it was the best out there. It will go from one side of the country to the other and back, beautiful bike. I rode one for ten years.

My new GT is what happened when I evolved. I like the weight and the legnth. It feels more stable at speed and in the wind, this spring it has been windy. Now to be fare , I've only put around a thousand miles on it from April until now.

Both bikes have thier pros and cons( I miss the RT glove box and center stand), but so far I'm glad I made the jump. I haven't been riding all my life,( I started at 10) but the GT is the bike I need now. Buy what you want , not what others want. Get it and enjoy the road.

Cheers
Mick
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2009, 8:56 pm
Rookie

My experience mirrors that of Tick. Rode an RT for 7 years and had a blast.

I'ved had my 07 GT 8 months & 6,000 miles and it gives me a woody everytime I get on it. Just love that tons of smooth HP. The glove box is small but for me that's the only downside.

Got me some barbacks and a new Russell seat so I think I'm set until I wear this big boy out.

'07 K1200GT
'98 R1100RT Sold
'00 Honda F4 Sold
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2009, 12:04 pm
Noob

I just traded my '07 GT for an '09 RT. While I just loved (emphasis) the engine on the GT, I just couldn't get past the better ergonomics of the RT. The main problem I had was the GT's rear set foot pegs causing too much strain on my knees. I'm 6'4" with a 36" inseam, so it was a bit cramped. I called it my "120 mile bike", because after 120 miles, my knees ached so much I needed to stop for 10 or 12 minutes, after which I could resume riding, but only for 15 to 20 miles before needing to stop again. Not really my idea of long distance riding. I looked for someone who makes highway pegs, but couldn't find anything. Not sure how they would be installed anyway, with the wrap around fairing of the GT.

I jokingly told my dealer that I really needed the GT's engine with the RT's ergonomics and he said a lot of people are telling him the same thing.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2009, 12:40 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliebrown
I just traded my '07 GT for an '09 RT. While I just loved (emphasis) the engine on the GT, I just couldn't get past the better ergonomics of the RT. The main problem I had was the GT's rear set foot pegs causing too much strain on my knees. I'm 6'4" with a 36" inseam, so it was a bit cramped. I called it my "120 mile bike", because after 120 miles, my knees ached so much I needed to stop for 10 or 12 minutes, after which I could resume riding, but only for 15 to 20 miles before needing to stop again. Not really my idea of long distance riding. I looked for someone who makes highway pegs, but couldn't find anything. Not sure how they would be installed anyway, with the wrap around fairing of the GT.

I jokingly told my dealer that I really needed the GT's engine with the RT's ergonomics and he said a lot of people are telling him the same thing.
X2 ! ! !

RT had far better ergonomics to me as well.

Never felt top heavy. Better wind protection. Easier to service. Nicer appearing switchgear that works. No issues (unlike the GT thing in the driveway awaiting a tow which makes me a bit biased now).

...but the sheer power of the GT is still the best thing about it.

Mack
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2009, 2:21 pm
Addict

I here so many guys say the RT is more nimble, and has a lower center of gravity, and I'm confused by this. I feel just the opposite, the GT is more nimble to me, easier to handle at slow speeds, and I can make much tighter turns at slow speed than I ever could with the RT. As for wind protection the RT was better, but only slightly, and most noticeable down around the lower leg and boot area. Now lets get into the heart of why I prefer the GT. Water cooled is a big plus if you live in an area renowned for traffic. The RT would easily overheat in a traffic jam. The engine, no comparison here at all. The Boxer was slow to accelerate, and I mean the engine not bike speed. That boxer has a very heavy rotating assembly, which is not going to pick up RPM quickly. This makes the boxer prone to lugging, and keeps you shifting gears all the time so the RPM's stay up. I'm not sure I can lug the GT. The engine seems to be able to pull me out of anything. It requires much less shifting of gears. The GT holds a line better than my RT and, I think it's the position of the engine which is lower, and puts more weight on the front wheel. Maintainance, the RT wins hands down, much simpler to work on, without a doubt. Getting the bike full loaded onto the center stand was easier on the RT. Stability in triple digits goes to the GT. Fuel consumption, and range goes to the RT, and I miss that a lot. Both bikes are great bikes which I think of as different solutions to the same problem, I just prefer the GT.

MOA Member #106320
2003 R1150RT Titan Silver
2008 K1200GT Dark Graphite
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 2009, 1:40 am
Rookie

Xavier:
The weight difference is more like 55 lbs (per BMW website, 570 lb RT vs 635 lb GT, wet weights).

You should do like me and buy both. I have had an RT since 1979 (the first) I now have an '04 RT which I love. I bought an '03 GT and I love her too, they get about 8,000 miles each per year. I have 5 other bikes to ride also. I must say that if i was told that I only got to keep one bike it would certainly be the RT. Passengers like them more, they have bigger fuel tanks and get better mileage, the sit up and beg riding position is more comfy for me too. Whatever you do just do it quickly so you can be riding.

Bob

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode