Advice on first BMW - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2009, 11:46 pm Thread Starter

Advice on first BMW

All - I am looking at my first BMW and trying to decide between a 2003 K1200GT (44k miles and good shape) and a 2005 R1200ST (15k miles and mint shape but about $1500 more) as a second bike.

I have not ridden the R1200ST yet, but I have ridden the K1200GT and I like the ergonomics much better than a new R1200RT that I have been on. Has anyone had experience on both the K1200GT and R1200ST? My other bike is a Honda ST1300 in the event it helps. Just looking for some input before I try the R1200ST and pull the trigger.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old May 24th, 2009, 12:52 pm Thread Starter

I know it's the K-Bike forum ;)

Anyway, I realize it is the K-Bike forum but thought you guys may have input on both bikes. Wondering if the R1200ST would be a better complement to my Honda meaning the K1200GT is a great bike but another 4 cylinder

Thanks in advance!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old May 24th, 2009, 1:40 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60HzShuffle
Anyway, I realize it is the K-Bike forum but thought you guys may have input on both bikes. Wondering if the R1200ST would be a better complement to my Honda meaning the K1200GT is a great bike but another 4 cylinder

Thanks in advance!

I wouldn't worry about the RST complementing anything. I would worry about getting parts for it!

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2009, 11:04 am

The little experience I've had with the RST was a loaner from a dealer. I commuted on it for a couple of days. I would have liked to keep it longer. The only complaint that I have is leg room. I'm 6'1", 35 in. inseam. At first it was very cramped but I got used to it. I think there was an article in a recent issue of BMW ON. The author loved his and wondered why BMW didn't do more with it. The GT fits in the same nitch as the ST; similar but different bikes. The RST is definitely different from the ST.

Friday
'07 K 1200 GT Deep Blue Metallic
10 Harley Davidson Stree Glide FLHX
History: '74 Honda CB360, '78 Yamaha XS750SE, '02 K1200RS Pacific Blue

"There is never enough time to do all the nothing you want to do" - Calvin and Hobbes
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2009, 3:37 pm
Enthusiast

I'm new to BMW's and recently purchased an 06 k1200 r. I was interested in several very different bikes. Harley Davidson night train, I liked the look of drag bars and forward controls, Buell Ulysses XB12XT, liked the design and engineering. I went and rode both bikes at the local HD dealer. I had back surgery in Oct. of 08, rode the Harley one mile, not for me, sorry to anyone that likes them but in my humble opinion...POS. It rattled and vibrated and was just plain uncomfortable, for me.They look cool but I want to ride it not look at it. The Buell has the 1203 v twin, a friend tells me it's the same as a sportster ?, don't know , don't care. The bike handled really nice, I liked the seating position it felt very stable, lots of torque Then I stopped at a traffic light I thought the mirrors were going to fall off, the vibration, not for me.
At that point I headed to the BMW dealer to ride this badass R, sooo much power and very smooth, I was sold, however a boat load of cash so I wanted to be 100% sure. Rode R 1200 GS, reminds me of the Buell and I like the dual sport bikes, Nope, I'm not fond of the vibration of a twin, so the R was it and I've never been happier, it's got it's issues but all in all, it's been great. Happy hunting.

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. Will Durant

2006 K 1200 R
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2009, 4:18 pm
Addict

Get them both and get rid of that Honda! Just kidding.... kinda......

I rented an R1200ST for a weekend ride a couple of weeks ago, and it was a fun bike, but as mentioned by an earlier poster, my knees took a bit of a beating because of the limited leg room - lots less room than I'm used to on my GT (04, same vintage as what you're looking at). It kind of depends on your inseam whether or not you'll like the ST, and if you can stand that fugly headlight! Once you get used to the bike, it's pretty fun to toss around, but overall there's no comparison when it comes to power and that "riding on rails" feel that you'll experience on the GT.

I absolutely love my GT and wished I had it on my weekend ride, if that's any indication. Smooth power, instead of buzzy boxer.

Deb and Dean Sauer
Golden, CO

The cure for boredom is riding motorcycles, and there is no cure for riding motorcycles...
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2009, 4:51 pm
Veteran

I was just about to say the same thing.. Not many of those bikes were sold.. which means not even 1/5th the accessories are available for it as the GT.. I'm just sayin.

IMHO.. The GT is easily the way to go... It's one of the best built bikes BMW has ever produced..

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucecha
I would worry about getting parts for it!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2009, 1:19 pm Thread Starter

An update

Just wanted to follow up and let you guys know I bought the '03 K1200GT. I just feel good sitting on that bike!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 2009, 7:58 am
Enthusiast

I loved, and still miss a little, my 98 K1200RS (same bike, basically). I'm sure you'll enjoy it tremendously...

08 K1200S (Phreeooow)
06 Husqvarna TE610

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode