New (to me) BMW! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 8:54 pm Thread Starter

New (to me) BMW!

I finally got my BMW! Picked up a nice used R1100RT last weekend and I am a happy man. Not a K-bike, but I hope I can still hang around the board.

I had test rode a K1200RS. I liked the power and smoothness and the price was reasonable, but the seating position just folded me up too much. I don't think my wife would be comfortable on the back, either. Just a bit too sporty.

2 general questions - Do you have to get spare keys from the dealer? I only got 1 key with the bike and would like to have a spare. Also, is it possible to download the owner's manual from anywhere? I checked the BMW site and they say to see the dealer.

See y'all on the road!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 10:10 pm
Veteran

My '96 R1100RTL came with two metal keys when I bought it new from the dealer.

Somewhere down the road, BMW got cheap and began passing out only one metal key along with some plastic key. Seems to be a big gripe with the dealers as well since a lot come back asking for "The second metal key."

Since yours is used, no doubt the former owner is gonna come over and steal it back when you're not looking with the other key. That, or he just lost it and had only one to give you.

You should have also gotten a rolled case of tools too. Mine had some wrenches, screwdriver, pliers, lug wrench for rear, some valve feelers, and the tire kit and CO2 cartridges. They were bungied under the rear seat with some rubber notched strap. The manual you're going to have to see the dealer on. Fwiw, there were two: "Rider Info" and a "Maintenance Manual" that had torque values and lots of mechanical service stuff missing in the newer models. I'd go for the second if you plan to do any servicing (e.g. valve adjustments) yourself.

Mack
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 7:22 am Thread Starter

Mack,

Thanks for the info. The key I have has a black plastic handle and the key shaft is metal. Were the 'plastic' keys you mentioned all plastic? That's interesting, I would think that the plastic would wear after a while and become useless.
If the PO is going to steal the bike back, he'll have to get into the garage and past our Amstaff and Rottie. If he's that motivated, he can have it...

I did get the tool kit - I'm not sure what all is in there, but I found it tucked into the tail area. I figured the manual would be there, but no luck. I guess it's off to the dealer this weekend.

Thanks!
M
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 7:35 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_MB750M
Mack,

Thanks for the info. The key I have has a black plastic handle and the key shaft is metal. Were the 'plastic' keys you mentioned all plastic? That's interesting, I would think that the plastic would wear after a while and become useless.
The all plastic key is intended as a spare for emergency use only. As you suspected, they are good only for a few uses before they begin to fail. They were originally designed to be thin enough to fit in a wallet. I have some older plastic car keys (no electronic chip) that are as thin as a credit card. Unfortunately, the plastic key that came with my 2007 K1200GT has a "head" that is way too thick for my wallet, probably because it includes the security chip. It is 6 mm thick, which is almost 1/4 inch.

I paid $50 extra to have a spare metal key made. In my opinion, it was way too much money for a spare, and it should have been included with the motorcycle. The small savings to BMW wasn't worth the sense of petty cheapness that they imparted to the customer experience.

Perhaps someone with a 2008 model can tell us whether BMW went back to including a spare metal key for that model year.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 8:13 pm
Noob

Recieved two normal keys along with a spare plastic one with my '09 K13GT
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 9:09 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
...I paid $50 extra to have a spare metal key made. In my opinion, it was way too much money for a spare, and it should have been included with the motorcycle. The small savings to BMW wasn't worth the sense of petty cheapness that they imparted to the customer experience.
I think that's what I paid for my extra metal one as well. Problem with the BMW chipped key is that you need to wait until a dealer can order one and get it in. Pretty quick, but better not lose them! I think I got 3 metal ones now and the plastic one too.

The Toyota Prius key was nearly $300 with the programming the dealer needed to do when it showed up. Somehow I lost one and thought the spare would maybe get lost too. Ugh! Pretty neat that you can leave it in your pocket and never need to take it out to do the old twisty-key starter thing; just punch the boot-up button and you're off. I've managed to wash and dry the keys in the laundry room with no damage to them - thank God!

I think Kawasaki's Concourse is similar to that Prius design as well. BMW needs to catch up on the key and it would get rid of the immobilizer ring (issues) as well. Don't know how they'd do the bags and their removal though with an electronic key.

Mack
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2009, 11:29 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack
I think that's what I paid for my extra metal one as well. Problem with the BMW chipped key is that you need to wait until a dealer can order one and get it in. Pretty quick, but better not lose them! I think I got 3 metal ones now and the plastic one too.

The Toyota Prius key was nearly $300 with the programming the dealer needed to do when it showed up. Somehow I lost one and thought the spare would maybe get lost too. Ugh! Pretty neat that you can leave it in your pocket and never need to take it out to do the old twisty-key starter thing; just punch the boot-up button and you're off. I've managed to wash and dry the keys in the laundry room with no damage to them - thank God!

I think Kawasaki's Concourse is similar to that Prius design as well. BMW needs to catch up on the key and it would get rid of the immobilizer ring (issues) as well. Don't know how they'd do the bags and their removal though with an electronic key.

Mack
Mack is right about delays. It took about two weeks to get the spare metal key that I ordered. For obvious reasons, you are required to pick up the key in person, and present photo ID.

My wife's Infiniti car has a keyless system, like the Prius. The car senses the key in your pocket or purse. In general, it knows where the key/fob is (inside or outside) and supposedly has a 1 meter range outside, so a thief can't open and possibly steal the car if it is parked in front of your house with the key in the house nearby.

You have to be careful, though. It is possible that the car will be mistaken about key location. Under just the right circumstances, it may see the key through the window and think that it is inside the car. The dealer told us a story about how that happened to a customer, who drove a long distance away and then found themselves stranded without the key.

It seems to me that a similar event could happen much more easily with a motorcycle, which can't distinguish "rider with key in pocket" from "key on shelf next to bike". Imagine starting out on your first IBA SaddleSore 1000 ride, and finding yourself 200 miles (350 miles?) from your starting point with no key... Ouch.

If I were designing it, I would include a one time "key check" that happens right after startup, when the ABS wheel motion sensors pick up the moving wheels. Flash a big red light on the panel if the ABS check completes, the bike is moving, and the key is not there.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2009, 6:33 pm
Rookie

Quote:
I finally got my BMW! Picked up a nice used R1100RT last weekend and I am a happy man.
Congrats - gorgeous bike! I just saw one at the dealer the other day & forgot how nice the 1100RT's are
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 2009, 7:56 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
I finally got my BMW! Picked up a nice used R1100RT last weekend and I am a happy man. Not a K-bike, but I hope I can still hang around the board.

I had test rode a K1200RS. I liked the power and smoothness and the price was reasonable, but the seating position just folded me up too much. I don't think my wife would be comfortable on the back, either. Just a bit too sporty.
SWMBO loved the seating on my 98 K1200RS. Or are you talking about the K40 K1200RS (new style)?

The RT's a nice ride. SWMBO is trying to get me to get a GT or an LT for our longer tours. I'm using that as leverage to expand the 2-bike rule (they Husky STAYS!, as does the K-S!!!!)

08 K1200S (Phreeooow)
06 Husqvarna TE610
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 1:45 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by edeslaur
SWMBO loved the seating on my 98 K1200RS. Or are you talking about the K40 K1200RS (new style)?

The RT's a nice ride. SWMBO is trying to get me to get a GT or an LT for our longer tours. I'm using that as leverage to expand the 2-bike rule (they Husky STAYS!, as does the K-S!!!!)
The other one I looked at was a 1998 K1200RS. For some reason the bend in my knees and hips on that was just too uncomfortable , which is weird because I have a 30" inseam. I'd just expect more legroom. I also sat on the passenger seat and the peg relationship was similar. My wife has even longer legs, so I figured that seat wouldn't work for her either. Our last bike was a Honda ST1100, which she really liked. The RT has a comparable layout and she's pleased with it, which is important

'm enjoying the RT very much. The PO had some nice updates - Cee Bailey seat, Givi trunk, PIAA lights, and nifty highway pegs that fold in and out of the cylinder head covers. The only things I can see adding would be a higher windshield, and an adapter to use the cigarette-lighter plugs for GPS/etc.

Back to the keys, I got blanks from the dealer - they initially quoted something like $40 per. After I paid and left, they called back to say they used the wrong blank, since the 2000 models don't have the chip in the key. That brought it down to $10-ish per key, and they mailed them to my house! Nice service from Carolina Euro in Greensboro.

M

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode