I Went To Wheelie School!!!!! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2009, 10:58 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

I Went To Wheelie School!!!!!

Just got back from wheelie school, it was put on by the Star Boyz out of Dayton, OH.
The class was phenomenal and a complete bargain. The main guy Scott really is one of those rare outstanding teachers. I used to be able to pop wheelies on my dirt bike but just hadn't built up the courage to do it on a street bike. The class really helped me overcome this concern. By the end of the day I was consistently able to get the bike up to the balance point and either maintain it for 30-40 yards or so or just set the front wheel back down in a controlled manner. The goal of the class is get you to the point where you can then go home and practice productively. It is all about throttle control!
The other piece of great information I got from Scott was in regards to doing them on a shaft driven bike. He says don't. It is too rough on the shaft component and he said it is common to get twisting of the shaft over time. Shaft drive is a lot more expensive to fix than a chain and sprocket.
So now I am looking for a second beater bike. They recommended the Honda F3 or F4 but said dual sport or even Suzuki SV are good choices too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01221.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	10491   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01226.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	10492   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01223.JPG
Views:	230
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	10493  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 2009, 4:07 am
Veteran

looks like fun. i will take one someday. power wheelies shouldn't be too hard on the shaft drive, but i do see the point when you talk about slipping the clutch to get the bike up. that class must have been a blast.

06 K1200R,76 Yamaha RD400 VOID 7/08 ,03 Kawi ZX-6R VOID 10/10/06, 94 Suzuki GSXR-750 VOID, 85 Yamaha FJ1100 VOID
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 2009, 1:04 pm
Enthusiast

What a blast! Did he have bikes there for you to practice on, I'm guessing yes, being that I saw some with wheelie bars. And thanks for the insight on the driveshaft vs. chain, didn't know that for sure. So now I have an excuse when the young guys I work with want me to wheelie my bike across the parking lot, if I want to .

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. Will Durant

2006 K 1200 R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 2009, 7:38 pm
Rookie

Was this a pay for play school? I know some young guys that would benefit from this type of class. My RT would stand up and go down the road real nice. I haven't tried on the GT yet, but it will happen.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 2009, 11:37 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

If you go to the Starboyz.com website and look under wheelie school in the forum section I believe also try this link,

http://www.starboyz.com/news.aspx?id...3-001a7013f143

The class is $450 and by the end of the day I felt it was one of the best bargains I have ever had. the class is usually held in Ohio at the Thompson Speedway. I fortunately work for an airline and was able to travel out there from Seattle for free. I took my time and spent 4 days for whole trip and drove around Pennsylvania mostly (what a beautiful state). With the class, rental car, hotel and food I spent just under $800.
The information on the shaft drive not really being suited for the job paid for the class. It's not that you can't do it because I have seen shaft drive bikes do wheelies, it's just that you won't be doing it for long. Which basically makes it not the ideal bike to learn them on but once you got good and proficient I don't think it would hurt once in a while.
And yes the school provides the bikes which really attracted me, the learning curve that first day is huge, don't know if I hate any bikes I have owned that much to put them through it.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 2009, 7:53 am
Enthusiast

Twisting the shaft? I guess that depends on the bike, and how you're getting it up. There's a pic of a twisted K shaft running around one of these forums.

My K1200S will loft the front about 2-4" just pinning the throttle through the first two gears. If I lean back a bit, or have a pillion, it gets a lot easier to get the front up.

But I suck at wheelies, so don't do them on my street bikes. I've thrown far too many dirt bikes down the road. The last one was my CR500. I blew a 3rd gear wheelie and picked myself up as my then-4yo son pulled up next to me on his CRF50. We then watched my CR500 cartwheel down the road for a while. I looked at him and said "That's not the way to do this!" LOL Expensive day.

Don't forget, BMW designed the geometry on the Ks (and Rs, but the R1200R is total cake to wheelie with just the throttle) to fight wheelies, which is why they're so good in the twisties coming out of corners. ;-)

My buddy can ride a standing wheelie all day on his Kawi 600, and he's not happy with the K-R's tendancy to fight wheelies (when he's trying to do them). It's the only thing he doesn't like about the bike tho. :-)

08 K1200S (Phreeooow)
06 Husqvarna TE610

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode