Electrical Noise Coming From Powerlet Socket - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 2009, 11:37 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Electrical Noise Coming From Powerlet Socket

I had a question about the stock wired Powerlet socket on my 2006 bike. I have a powerlet charger for my iPod. When it is plugged in and I am listening to music I get a little bit of feed back noise that rises and falls with engine RPM. Maybe it is a bad ground? or I know the socket is wired and runs through the CanBus system it might be too much interference even if it is grounded properly. I see they have CanBus kits to wire them directly to the Battery is this a good way to go? Would it take care of the noise?

Thank you for any help...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2009, 4:18 am
Addict

What you have is probably interference pick up from the alternator which is feeding the power supply.

Connections straight across the battery avoiding any of the bike's wiring and grounds is the first thing to try. If you do that even putting your own socket somewhere with a fuse, you are isolated from Canbus and it's no longer an issue.

Portable electronic devices themselves are usually intended to be connected to fairly 'smooth' interference free power sources. Some chargers are supposed to be that and not so well designed to run the devices. I assume your iPOD charger is probably a 12-14 volt stepdown to 5 volt? If it's designed for connection to vehicles it should be ok, but many of these devices sold on Ebay have minimal components and there may be something better qualified in spec terms to connect to vehicles giving lower noise or interference.

Interference pickup from ignition is a different issue to powerline interference which I suspect you have. If you want to confirm which is the problem, run your iPOD from it's own internal battery and nothing connected into the bike wiring - if interference = ignition pickup, if no, powerline pickup problem confirmed.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2009, 12:47 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Thank you so much, I suspected the noise I was hearing was coming through the CanBus system. My iPod does not have any interference when I just use it standalone(not charging through the bike) What I do now is just charge up the ipod before I go and occasionally hook it up to the Powerlet brand charging cord when I need to. I have so many items piggy backed to my battery it is nice to use one of the other power sources on the bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2009, 9:47 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilynator
Thank you so much, I suspected the noise I was hearing was coming through the CanBus system. My iPod does not have any interference when I just use it standalone(not charging through the bike) What I do now is just charge up the ipod before I go and occasionally hook it up to the Powerlet brand charging cord when I need to. I have so many items piggy backed to my battery it is nice to use one of the other power sources on the bike.

CanBus isn't really the issue, it's the same with any automotive system once you try hooking up sensitive electronics. Many have fitted their own mini distribution power sockets up front on their own panels with fuse and direct connection to the battery. But quite often I lay the blame squarely at the charger designs that could easily be made better with a couple of extra components inside - but they can cheap jack by saying they sell a 'charger' not intended for running the device for perfect sound.

I've bought several toys recently which all run with 5 volt chargers (on mini usb) so I'm thinking a decent smooth 5 volt charger, permanently fitted on the bike might be the way to go, even use some space where the BMW accessory sockets are fitted. Very few chargers actually have the intelligence inside to control the charge, it's usually done inside the iPOD, satnav, pda or whatever.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode