Question about CA dealers and the CHP. - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2009, 10:47 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Question Question about CA dealers and the CHP.

Anyone ever heard of some BMW NA contract or some state (California) contract the dealers have with the state's CHP patrol bikes that when they come into the shop, they continually get bumped ahead of any other "regular folk" bikes that have already been there awaiting service?

Mine still sits for about-to-expire warranty work while the CHP's RT-Patrol bikes keep rolling in and out. Service writer says "It's not right, but it's their contract with them." Seems they go in for really silly things ("Makes pencil or snake sounds" !?! ) or maybe to just get out of the heat and BS in the shop all day.

If they get the same red carpet treatment for their Ford Crown Victoria's and bump regular Ford owners out of the Ford garage, I don't think it would fly very well with the "regular folk."

Mack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2009, 11:39 pm
Sooper Dooper Moderator

What shop are you talking about?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2009, 4:19 am
Veteran

A&S in roseville has a big contract with CHP, and i do believe their bikes take priority, that is what i hear.

06 K1200R,76 Yamaha RD400 VOID 7/08 ,03 Kawi ZX-6R VOID 10/10/06, 94 Suzuki GSXR-750 VOID, 85 Yamaha FJ1100 VOID
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2009, 1:02 pm
Addict

As long as the paperwork is written up before your warranty expires, it won't affect the work being done after the warranty expires. I ran into that situation and got my transmission replaced after the warrany expired because I had the paperwork done before it expired. Of course, that doesn't help you get your bike back any sooner with the CHP bikes moving to the front of the line.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2009, 2:03 pm
2 heads are better than 1

San Jose BMW has a similar contract for the CHP motors in our area. If they come in needing a repair it does take precedent over other work. I've been bumped by this before a couple of times but I understand the reasoning behind it. The CHP has to have functioning vehicles to cover their patrols and respond to incidents; basically to protect and serve they have to have working vehicles. When they stop working they have to get them back up and running as quickly as possible to effectively protect the public. This was part of the deal when the CHP when with BMW for their authority bikes.

Viewed from a different perspective - If you needed an officer to respond would you want to hear he couldn't come because the shop had to finish some guy's /5 valve job before they could replace the tire and put him back on the road to handle your emergency?

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 BMW R1200RT Polar Metallic
2008 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S Red (of course)

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2009, 2:24 pm
Rookie

Unfortunatly there are too few BMW dealers and it seems like they all are working on Authority Bikes, at least has been my observation from Long Beach, Irv Seavers and North County. which makes it not a simple task of just taking it down the street to another shop, esp on warranty work.

Good luck!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 2009, 1:59 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTaylor
San Jose BMW has a similar contract for the CHP motors in our area. If they come in needing a repair it does take precedent over other work. I've been bumped by this before a couple of times but I understand the reasoning behind it. The CHP has to have functioning vehicles to cover their patrols and respond to incidents; basically to protect and serve they have to have working vehicles. When they stop working they have to get them back up and running as quickly as possible to effectively protect the public. This was part of the deal when the CHP when with BMW for their authority bikes.

Viewed from a different perspective - If you needed an officer to respond would you want to hear he couldn't come because the shop had to finish some guy's /5 valve job before they could replace the tire and put him back on the road to handle your emergency?
Okay. I'm gonna call B.S. on this.

They have an entire fleet of CARS in their pool in the back of most stations. They could easily sit their motorcycle butts in one and go to work. There is absolutely no need for this crap other than they stipulated it when the contract sale was made.

Mine still sits awaiting warranty work and it has not been even submitted to BMW NA as they "Cannot get to it due to their 'CHP to the head of the line' philosophy." Can't fault the dealers as it's easy bread money over warranty owners who pay nothing - or close to it.

This is just pure crap.

I'm off to look at Harley. Least they have a dozen independent shops around me where one could get fixed if needed and the hell with warranty.

Mack
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 2009, 1:49 am
2 heads are better than 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack
Okay. I'm gonna call B.S. on this.

They have an entire fleet of CARS in their pool in the back of most stations. They could easily sit their motorcycle butts in one and go to work. There is absolutely no need for this crap other than they stipulated it when the contract sale was made.

Mine still sits awaiting warranty work and it has not been even submitted to BMW NA as they "Cannot get to it due to their 'CHP to the head of the line' philosophy." Can't fault the dealers as it's easy bread money over warranty owners who pay nothing - or close to it.

This is just pure crap.

I'm off to look at Harley. Least they have a dozen independent shops around me where one could get fixed if needed and the hell with warranty.

Mack
Call BS if you like, but the fact of the matter is that BMW as a corporation signed up for this deal when they got the CHP business. If you're going to run to HD be sure you check and make sure none of the local municipalities or counties are using Authority HDs and are getting them serviced at that dealer. God forbid you run into this heinous problem again.

I think your problem is with the dealer and their inability to schedule both the CHP and your work. That has little to nothing to do with the BMW contract and CHP (which you seem to be taking to task) and everything to do with a mismanaged service department at this specific dealership. While I have been bumped for CHP work I was never postponed more than a day. Part of this is because I have a good relationship with my dealer, but the bigger part is I manage expectations with them every time I talk to them. I'm very friendly and easy going about it, but they know what I want and I know what they are committing to deliver before I walk away from the counter, EVERY TIME.

How often do you call the dealer to get a status update on your work and express your displeasure with the service you are getting? Have you had a talk with the manager or owner about the long delays? Have you contacted BMW NA customer relations and voiced your issues? At this point if you aren't doing one or more of these every couple of days, and letting them know getting the work done is really important to you, maybe you aren't managing the situation as effectively as you could, either.

And I'm not calling BS on you with this. I'm just asking because I can't count the number of times guys get on these forums and piss and whine about not getting work done on their bike, and when you start asking these types of questions you hear they haven't spoken to the dealer in days or even weeks, they never set an expectation or asked for a commitment for delivery of the completed work, and they never escalate poor service to the management chain at the dealer and/or BMW NA. I've even heard some admit telling the dealer, "get to it when you can", and then start bitching that the dealer didn't get to their work. This is a self fulfilling prophecy - if folks don't set expectations and get agreements from the service staff for delivery of their work and actively manage it, I personally don't want to hear about it. That's just poor management of the business relationship on the customer's part, plain and simple.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 BMW R1200RT Polar Metallic
2008 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S Red (of course)

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 2009, 8:07 am

David
I agree totally with what you say. Let GMack go to Harley, The HD dealers who also have police business also have the same type of contract. And I as a responsible citizen, want our law enforcement to be at service for our citizens, I can wait. Dealers then always thank me and extend our offers of thanks to me. We are all in this together and I accept my part.
David
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 2009, 12:31 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Went to Harley dealer. Surprisingly, the guy who walked up behind me and waited on me was the former BMW salesman where my bike is currently at. Go figger. Got an earful from him too.

Basically, one factory-trained mechanic and a helper/assembler for BMW. It's multi-line so they have a lot of other mechanics for other brands, quads, and watercraft. Service manager fired over spat with new KTM manager (former independent owner). Knowledgeable parts gal, former owner, also quit with 30 years experience. Agrees that contract, be it city or state, is wrong for run-of-the mill owners needing work, but so did both the local service managers (2). Having the CHP across the street doesn't help on that issue as they see what's going on. It's their shop's bread an butter, an yes, the motorbike officers can use cars if needed so there is no need for the red-carpet bump-to-the-head-of-the line for patrol bikes. Applies to cars as well (I saw the Sac. City procurement contract online and it's broad), but then car shops have 10's of mechanics. Only thing that can aid a BMW bike dealer is more mechanics than 1-2. Our local city/county has their own shop so bikes go to them (H-Ds) and could be a good thing to check on.

Likely, larger CA dealers like Irv Seaver, Ventura, A&S have more than 3-4 mechanics so stuff like this crowding-to-the-head-of-the-line crap doesn't occur or with less severity. I noticed on Seaver's website they have several who are patrol bike mechanics so I'd assume they have others that can work on regular folks bikes when needed (they used to have around 7-9 or so when I dealt there). Seaver's even offered to overhaul my old RT tranny in the trunk of my car (he saw it when he placed the rebuilt final drive in it after they just put new seals in as I didn't have that special castle wrench needed) before closing time. I rebuilt the tranny myself (typical cheap BMW rubber seals going hard over time and leaking).

Granted, it is all local dealer at this point and, most likely, too few mechanics. Another dealer I've used in the past knows the bike's VIN and the warranty has been approved by BMW NA for airbox change-out courtesy of the dealer in Chico (400-500 miles distant) who has gone overboard in trying to get the bike fixed. Now to get the local dealer up to speed, but that won't occur until Tuesday. Hitch is being installed in car next weekend in case I need to tow it elsewhere.

Fwiw, this is my list of favorable dealers in CA/NV: Sierra BMW in Sparks, NV. BMW of Ventura County (I got their log off the Zumo of them testing riding just north of their shop and "Wow!"), Irv Seaver's in Orange County. Ozzie's BMW in Chico, and Santa Rosa BMW for Autocom issues (along with Oster's son at Sierra BMW). Depends on where I am for service so I don't stay at the same one as for a long time I had none locally and had to travel.

Still, the comment of the CHP needing their bikes "right now" is pure B.S. when cars are available to them. When you experience this bumping treatment of waiting weeks for warranty service after a scheduled date weeks out, you'll get the idea - unless you happen to be a cop and just think it's funny. While I was at Sierra BMW once, a uniformed cop did try to bump-to-the-head-of-the-line but the service manager Scott McKay didn't go for it as they were backed up and he had to go to the end of the line (3 weeks out). Cop said it was worth a shot, but then also said he didn't need it just yet either. Seems their state has a different contract than CA.

Mack

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode