New k75S Rider from Colorado - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 2009, 10:27 am Thread Starter
Noob

New k75S Rider from Colorado

Hi all! New owner here from Colorado. I am the proud owner of a 1988 BMW K75S. It only has around 37K miles on it and runs great! It has a few upgrades put on by PO like:
  • K&N Air filter
  • Staintune exhaust
  • Fox racing shock (not yet sure how it works)
  • Corbin touring seat w/color matched piping
  • removeable backrest (goes w/Corbin seat)
  • hard sidebags and trunk

As extras it also came with a spare set of brake pads, and oil filter and 2 gaskets for the side covers (PO was going to get them powder coated but didn't). It also came with maint records, stock seat, and shop manual.

There are a few rock scratches on the lower part of the fairing but otherwise she is pristine. Will post pics soon.

Only known problem reported by PO is that the radiator fan may not be working properly. I haven't checked it out an further yet, only got it on Saturday. Could be a connection or a fuse, or could be shot and needing to be replaced.

This is my 2nd bike, previous bike was 1982 Suzuki GS650G. Its taken some getting used to a bike that has actual brakes! Also getting more familiar with personality of the new bike, shifting techniques, etc. that had become instinct on the GS. I may be thinking of progressive springs in the front as the K-bike seems to dive a bit more than my other bike does under braking, but it may be normal and an after fact of the poor brakes on the GS.

1988 K75S (#996)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 2009, 10:35 am
Addict

Smile

Welcome,
I'll see you at the Top of the Rockies Rally (TOR) or the 100,000 foot run.

Thanks
Robert

2014 R1200RT Ebony Black--(deep Burgundy)
2012 R1200RT Tri-Color (traded for 2014 R1200RT see above)
2012 R1200RT Tri-Color (Traded for exact same bike, see above)
2004 R1100SA "Piedmont Red Metallic" (Traded)
2002 K1200RS BLACK (Traded for RT)
2000 FLTRSEI "Screamin Eagle, Triple Red" Gone but not forgotten.
1999 FXR3 "Green Flame" In the Garage
1998 K1200RS "Taxi" (sold)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 2009, 9:31 pm Thread Starter
Noob

I LOVE this bike!

Only ridden her 4 times so far, man oh man what a fun bike!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3740.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	810.0 KB
ID:	10560  

1988 K75S (#996)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2009, 4:44 pm

Me, too

Hey, interesting post ...

...because I just got a 1990 K75s myself, last week and I live in Morrison.

That's a gorgeous bike you have there, judging by the picture. I hope to see you on the road once I get my bike running again (cough, cough) in another couple of weeks.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2009, 4:53 pm

Talking

Nice bike. I've been trying to find one for my SO but all the nicer K75's seem to be on the east coast or midwest states. I think you should ride that bike twenty miles south and sell it to me (for what you paid for it) so I can be a hero/sweetheart/all-around nice guy in the eyes of my SO. Think about it and think how you'll be able to help me make a wonderful lady very happy plus earn my ever lasting gratitude! Such a deal, huh?

Regards,
Randy
'02 RT nacht black
'05 Ducati ST3 black
'06 K12S bumble bee
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2009, 9:53 am Thread Starter
Noob

Sounds like CO is well represented....

but if I told you what I paid for it you all might not like me so much.....under 2k....I'll leave it at that...couldn't walk away from the offer!

1988 K75S (#996)
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2009, 9:57 am Thread Starter
Noob

by the way,

probably taking a spin up hwy 83 to parker to visit a friend on Saturday mid-day. Might to the loop Elbert Rd-Elizabeth-Franktown-Parker, then shoot back down 83 for home. My friend who's turning 50 on Saturday gave me my first bike (82 Suzi GS650G) and now I can show him my upgrade. He wanted me to get a big ol' cruiser....but thats just not my style at the moment.

1988 K75S (#996)
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2009, 1:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbs80106
but if I told you what I paid for it you all might not like me so much.....under 2k....I'll leave it at that...couldn't walk away from the offer!
You're right, I don't like you. :P

Regards,
Randy
'02 RT nacht black
'05 Ducati ST3 black
'06 K12S bumble bee
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 2009, 2:45 pm

83 is a nice ride

"probably taking a spin up hwy 83 to parker to visit a friend on Saturday mid-day. Might to the loop Elbert Rd-Elizabeth-Franktown-Parker, then shoot back down 83 for home"

Yesterday, I did 83 to 86 then out east to Limon, then back west on 24 then back north on 21 briefly to 83 north again back into Denver. All told, it was about 238 miles and probably a bit long. On my map, though, it looks like any road that connects 86 to 24 is dirt and I didn't feel like going enduro.

You going to the BMW club weekly get-together at Morrison Inn anytime soon? I've been meaning to get to it.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2009, 8:40 pm

Oh no, not another one???

I also recently purchased a classic '88 K75S, from the previous (second) owner who lives in Evergreen, CO. The K has low mileage and is in excellent condition. I joined the BMW Rider's Club of Colorado and did my first ride to Paonia last month. I have family living there so the trip was very economical and lots of fun especially the ride up Grand Mesa with my son and his neighbor (KLR 650s).

I want to connect with other owners to compare notes, experiences and perhaps share rides on the Ks. I hope to find some parts that are needing replacement . . . mainly a windshield (checked, fogged and crazed and a tank insignia. I also need a touch up paint kit for the few nicks in the tomato red finish.

I'm riding to Steamboat tomorrow morning from Boulder to explore the area, shake down my camping skills and equipment. Anyone want to ride along?

Will be in Gunnison Aug. 27-30 for the Horizons Unlimited meeting, too. if you're interested in international touring . . . Check it out.
LaPev

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode