Clutch noise 2008 GT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 1:30 am Thread Starter

Clutch noise 2008 GT

Need some help folks. At 4000+ miles I thought I heard the clutch "squawk" a bit. At 5200 I went to dealer schedule 6000 mile service and the noise was becoming more loud and frequent. At 7000 (earliest they could get me in for service) frequency of noise was higher and the mechanic said he could hear it but needed to do "some research". What does that mean? I have heard others mention clutch squeal or squawk. Are there others out there or did I buy a $21,200 piece of citrus? Are there more of you out there? Please advise, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 8:32 am
Addict

Just some general comments:

More research just means he has to search K-Bikes.com

My old car has some clutch 'squawk' when my wife drives it, but not when I do. She uses the clutch like it's stop and go at any engine rpm, whereas I use the clutch at 'sweet spot' rpms in each shift.

What rpm and in what shift are you getting this? Is it low rpm pull away, shifting over 3K rpm or just shifting up/down all the time?

I can't believe at 4K miles your clutch is gone, but you can open the throttle on a hill climb in high gear from say 30mph and see if the tacho runs up fast. Or if you are also hearing squeeling whilst powering with the clutch out - then you have clutch slip and that's a positive for the dealer to do a big fix.

There are two possibilities for a noise when the clutch makes or breaks during shifts. The most common is a very dry clutch and plate which is good and it's a bit like a disc pad squeal. I dont think it's telling of bad news ahead and might go away as the clutch beds in. Perhaps look at your clutch change technique. If you can learn clutchless or near clutchless up shifts then you are on the way to not making big demands on it. Sitting at stop lights with the clutch held in is bad practice to avoid, as is very rapid pull aways. The second less likely possibility is the clutch slave bearing.

The mechanic probably knows that if your clutch has been worked hard from new perhaps unintentionally and the friction material has glazed over, it's a very expensive labor job to change the disc.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 9:20 am
Addict

Your not alone, the GT clutch squel is well documented on this site and others, just use the search feature to pull up the old threads. Then work with your dealer to get the clutch basket replaced under warranty.

MOA Member #106320
2003 R1150RT Titan Silver
2008 K1200GT Dark Graphite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 10:03 am

I had the same problem at 1500 miles, it got replaced under warranty, no problems now
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 10:03 am

I thought BMW had changed the size of the oil pump sprocket (made it thinner) so that it wouldnt rub the outside of the basket and this supposedly gets rid of the squeal....correct me if Im wrong.

F

05LT
07GT
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2009, 2:54 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
Just some general comments:

More research just means he has to search K-Bikes.com

My old car has some clutch 'squawk' when my wife drives it, but not when I do. She uses the clutch like it's stop and go at any engine rpm, whereas I use the clutch at 'sweet spot' rpms in each shift.

What rpm and in what shift are you getting this? Is it low rpm pull away, shifting over 3K rpm or just shifting up/down all the time?

I can't believe at 4K miles your clutch is gone, but you can open the throttle on a hill climb in high gear from say 30mph and see if the tacho runs up fast. Or if you are also hearing squeeling whilst powering with the clutch out - then you have clutch slip and that's a positive for the dealer to do a big fix.

There are two possibilities for a noise when the clutch makes or breaks during shifts. The most common is a very dry clutch and plate which is good and it's a bit like a disc pad squeal. I dont think it's telling of bad news ahead and might go away as the clutch beds in. Perhaps look at your clutch change technique. If you can learn clutchless or near clutchless up shifts then you are on the way to not making big demands on it. Sitting at stop lights with the clutch held in is bad practice to avoid, as is very rapid pull aways. The second less likely possibility is the clutch slave bearing.

The mechanic probably knows that if your clutch has been worked hard from new perhaps unintentionally and the friction material has glazed over, it's a very expensive labor job to change the disc.
It is not gone yet: have 7000 miles on it. Took 1800 miles to get an appointment for my 6000 mile service. It is getting worse. The dealer sent me home with it to do "more research". Getting noiser all the time. Wet clutch so some of the above does not apply. Have had 10 bikes. never lost a clutch, engine, tranny, chain, or drive shaft. Good maintenance has always helped. Traded my 2003 GS for this. 45,000 miles and no clutch problems. Think I will go back to the GS or RT or, maybe, a Honda. They do not seem to break.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2009, 2:57 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corps
Need some help folks. At 4000+ miles I thought I heard the clutch "squawk" a bit. At 5200 I went to dealer schedule 6000 mile service and the noise was becoming more loud and frequent. At 7000 (earliest they could get me in for service) frequency of noise was higher and the mechanic said he could hear it but needed to do "some research". What does that mean? I have heard others mention clutch squeal or squawk. Are there others out there or did I buy a $21,200 piece of citrus? Are there more of you out there? Please advise, thanks.

Thanks everyone for your advice. I think I now know how to approach BMW.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode