100 degrees outside - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 6:22 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

100 degrees outside

It's hot and the bike club I belong to has a ride tonight that I'm leading. Am I nuts? I even plan on wearing a jacket.

I rode yesterday and it wasn't too bad , only in the mid-90's
How hot before you won't ride, or do you thank God it's not 0?

Drink lots of water folks and have fun
Mick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 7:16 pm
Enthusiast

If it is going to be triple digits I stay off the bike or close to the coast or leave early where it rarely gets to the 100 mark. A few years ago I went with some buddies up to Sequoia Nat. Park. It got to 108 and I thought I was going to pass out with my gear on. I said after that ride NO MAS. I have passed on this ride since which has been in July. After all, this is a desert.

'05 R1200RT, Ruby, as in RED, (current garage queen)
'04 R1150RT, '99 Ducati 748 BiPosto, '93 Seca II, '93 K1100RS, '83 Yamaha Maxim 750,
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 7:44 pm
Bry
Enthusiast

Cool

We get 45C over here, (113-114F), that's car material!

You get windburn from just having the visor open...

There's always something about slipping on half a cow before a ride.

Bry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 8:49 pm
Veteran

I call it quits at 93-95 degrees with all the gear on (no Gore-Tex sauna-cooker stuff either: e.g. Aerostitch and even the $$$ BMW ComfortShell suit. BMW Santiago works best for me in the heat). The moto fun-factor evaporates above that.

If I absolutely need to, or am unsure, I'll pack a phase-change vest and four extra aux. packs in a small beer cooler in the trunk. They last about two hours in 100 degrees under the gear and aren't wet and clammy like the water vests. They will re-freeze even in a lousy little motel refrigerator. Motor Sport Cool-Vest link.

Personally, I like the low 70's best with all the gear which makes early morning departures (4AM) and quitting before noon in the CA desert a necessity for me.

Mack
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2009, 10:48 am Thread Starter
Rookie

The ride was nice as long as we keep moving. I love my mesh jacket, it really does keep me cooler. I had a friend that taught me that bare skin is hotter then a jacket, I didn't believe him until I tried it with a leather jacket on a 100 degree day.
I have been thinking of getting some mesh overpants, because I wear shorts all summer. Maybe some slip-on boots so I could wear sandals and shorts.
I have an out of state ride this Friday, we're leaving at noon and it's going to be in the mid-90's. Hopefully the Boston Mountains will be cooler

Stay cool and happy riding
Mick
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2009, 10:51 am
Addict

It was a cool 98 here yesterday, but we've had about 5 or 6 straight days of 100 last week. this week isn't any different. The forecast is for at least 100 all this week. I just try to adjust my work times so I can ride to and from and not get stuck in too much traffic.

Doug Turner
'86 Concours
'99 K1200LT - gone
'06 K1200GT - the new kid in town
'08 Wing - gone
Marshall, TX
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2009, 1:35 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithb
If it is going to be triple digits I stay off the bike
Unfortunately, that would eliminate summer riding in my part of the world. Tricks are:
- start early
- mesh jacket
- evaporative vest
- drink lots of water

Believe it or not, you do get used to it.

Mike

2011 T100 Bonneville Black
06 Black Griso
06 Yellow KR - SOLD
02 Z-Rex (Green of course)
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2009, 6:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tick
The ride was nice as long as we keep moving. I love my mesh jacket, it really does keep me cooler. I had a friend that taught me that bare skin is hotter then a jacket, I didn't believe him until I tried it with a leather jacket on a 100 degree day.
I have been thinking of getting some mesh overpants, because I wear shorts all summer. Maybe some slip-on boots so I could wear sandals and shorts.
I have an out of state ride this Friday, we're leaving at noon and it's going to be in the mid-90's. Hopefully the Boston Mountains will be cooler

Stay cool and happy riding
Mick
What kind of jacket? I have a Cortech that comes apart and I like it but it's not very much help.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2009, 7:16 pm
Addict

Hot in Las Vegas!!!

When I have to take the bike for a journey for many miles and hours I will use a water bladder filled with ice and place it under my Joe Rocket phoenix mesh jacket. With the ice resting on my stomach and chest it keeps my blood cool. When very hot above 110 I will use two bladders of ice under my jacket.
The ice melts and I can drink the cold water through the hose/mouth piece.
The ice takes about 1 3/4 to 2 hours to melt then it is time for Gas and more ice.
As long as your blood is cooled off you don’t feel the high heat.

I also wear “cool-pants” summer air-mesh pants, Rocket mesh gloves, full-face helmet X11, full boots with long socks, and just shorts under the riding pants.
I do use sun-screen on my face even though the face shield has UV protection in it.

It's only 97 today. We have 3 months of 100+ everyday. But it's a dry heat. We have wide open spaces, so getting out of Las Vegas in the morning when it is cool, 85 is great. But it will get HOT by 11:00 AM and not quite to 2:AM. Then it goes down to 99.

But getting stuck in Traffic sucks!!!

Use ice, drink water, stay cool and ride.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2009, 7:55 pm
Enthusiast

Watch Out For the HOT TAR

Hot tar is a new consideration in hot weather,,,,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode