How much to change tires? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2009, 11:48 pm Thread Starter

How much to change tires?

I took the wheels off my bike yesterday and took them into my local non BMW dealer along with two new tires bought over the internet. Picked them up later in the day and was presented with a bill of $107!!!!!!!!!! I bitched, hollered and tore the owner a new one but bottom line it was my fault as I didn't ask ahead of time. This place has been changing tires for me for several years and has always charged me about 25 bucks per wheel. I figured it was the same and no one told me the price was now doubled!!! I have (had) been a customer there for over 30 years but there was no apology, no explanation no nothing from them.

What do you pay and how many are doing the tire changes yourselves and what kind of equipment do you use?

Moosedog's wallet hurts........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2009, 2:08 am
Addict

labor rates are about 80/hr in my area, and changing both tires takes a little over an hour.

I usually change the rear tire myself, and take the front off myself to get it changed. costs about $25 to bring it into the shop to have them change it. however, due to certain circumstances, I had to get both changed at a non-BMW dealer yesterday with brought-in tires. Cost me $85 and tool about 1hr.

2006 K12R Aluminum - 6/2007~current
-ESA, ABS, heated grips, sport bags.
-PCIII w/ dyno tuned street map
-Leo Vince Ti silencer
-HID main light
-HID aux lights
-dual air filters
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2009, 6:04 am
Veteran

I think the lowest prices around are 30 bucks on the bike, and that is when you buy their tires. even cycle gear charges 30 a tire off the bike. most places won't even have the balancing equiptment for bmw's. most shops will charge at least 50 a tire on the bike. that does seem a little expensive though since you brought them in.

06 K1200R,76 Yamaha RD400 VOID 7/08 ,03 Kawi ZX-6R VOID 10/10/06, 94 Suzuki GSXR-750 VOID, 85 Yamaha FJ1100 VOID
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2009, 6:13 am
Enthusiast

Brought my dealer tires I bought on-line and my bike, they charged me $100.00 to mount and balance. Seems reasonable to me.

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. Will Durant

2006 K 1200 R
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2009, 7:28 am
Veteran

Had mine changed at a dealer once while two-up on the road. They wouldn't change one unless I also bought the matching brand's tire as well (they didn't carry Avon's so I had to get two Metzlers). Cost $450 that Saturday, but they did it the same day.

I do my own now. A couple of labor hits and I've paid for the tools and probably get a better balance as well.

Mack
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2009, 7:46 am
Veteran

There is a family-owned shop in my town that specializes in changing motorcycle tires. That's all they do. I haven't used them yet, but I plan to use them next week. Several friends have recommended them. Wheel Works in Garden Grove, CA.

http://www.wheel-works.com/

Prices (if you remove the wheels yourself):
Change tire: Free if you buy the tire from them, otherwise $15
Balance: $14
Tire disposal: $4

Even if you buy the tire from them, they still charge for balance and disposal.

Two wheel total (buy tire from them): $36
Two wheel total (bring in your own tires): $66

They charge a lot more if they remove the wheels. I think it was over $130 for two wheels. My guess is that they charge $30 - $50 per wheel for removal and reinstallation.

Their prices for tires are somewhat higher than mail order, but reasonable. Of course, they charge sales tax on the tires, too.

When I stopped by the shop, I saw nothing but Harleys. I asked about TPM, balancing the large BMW hubs, and No-Mar type non-scratch clamps, and they claimed to know all about them. They showed me their no-mar type clamp with plastic fittings.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2009, 8:20 am
Veteran

Like Chuck said, $30.00 each(off the bike) at Cycle Gear if you did not buy the tires there., $20.00 if you did.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2009, 2:15 pm
Enthusiast

$15 per wheel, each tire. has been for the last 3 years at the suzuki shop
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2009, 12:35 am
Rookie

I have to say I'm with the dealer on this one. I was a Luxury Import tech, both German and Japanize. I also was a service manager at a German shop. The labor sounds like a lot of money but it gets spread out a lot and ends up not being as big a profit as it seems. The shop makes money off of the parts. Buy are parts and we stay in business. Buy them some were else and we close the doors. I'm glad I'm not in that line of work anymore, the customers would bitch all the time about how we should have be doing the work for free. It's funny how people will pay all kinds of money for other things like a plumber or lawn guy but when it comes to their transportation , they think it should be free.

Just my $0.02
Mick
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2009, 9:58 am

Four of my riding buddy's and myself purchased a used electric/pneumatic tire changer about 3 years ago for $ 500.00. I change tiers about 2 - 3 times a year on my and my son's bike, so it's real handy. The changer is sitting in my basement and if one of my friends needs new tires, they just come over, we shoot the bull and change tires.
The ting has paid for itself already, plus I am the one who does the work and I know it's done right.

2007 K1200GT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode