Uh oh, CBR1000RR... - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2009, 5:49 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Uh oh, CBR1000RR...

Don't sit on one of these bikes!!

I made that mistake last nite. Yikes, very light but has a lot of great features (the 09 with full ABS, etc).

Much lighter than the KS so I worry about that with the travel I do. Luggage might be a bit tight but I might be able to live with that (I have the LT for long trips and most 2up riding).

The grips are much lower than the KS, you can get some small risers but I guess they are very limited due to tank clearance.

I dunno, 1200 bucks for a new KS clutch or whatever the hell is squealing like a pig on takeoffs. If it gets real loud it's like the clutch doesnt' even work. It doesnt' happen every time but which is sort of weird too but yesterday it seemed pretty bad on nearly all takeoffs, which is really starting to get me irritated.

I've had this problem for the last 22k miles (62k on the bike), at the dealer 3 times or so to check out while doing 12k services, etc...drives me nutz, even if I do luv my KS..

Problem is, I couldn't sell this thing to anyone without fixing the clutch or discounting the bike. If I had the time I'd fix it myself.

sure is tempting at 13k brand new for that CBR though, knowing I'm not going to have the problems I've had with this KS (and continue to have to some degree, ie, clutch)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2009, 6:02 pm
Addict

I thought I read there was a fix for the clutch from BMW. What happened ?

Does the fix not work?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2009, 6:41 pm
JCW
contributor

Amazing bike from what I've read...

'06 K1200R- in pieces
'73 Honda CB500F- slow but fun.
'77 Yamaha XS 750 triple- kinda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2009, 7:59 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldbikin
Don't sit on one of these bikes!!

I made that mistake last nite. Yikes, very light but has a lot of great features (the 09 with full ABS, etc).

Much lighter than the KS so I worry about that with the travel I do. Luggage might be a bit tight but I might be able to live with that (I have the LT for long trips and most 2up riding).

The grips are much lower than the KS, you can get some small risers but I guess they are very limited due to tank clearance.

I dunno, 1200 bucks for a new KS clutch or whatever the hell is squealing like a pig on takeoffs. If it gets real loud it's like the clutch doesnt' even work. It doesnt' happen every time but which is sort of weird too but yesterday it seemed pretty bad on nearly all takeoffs, which is really starting to get me irritated.

I've had this problem for the last 22k miles (62k on the bike), at the dealer 3 times or so to check out while doing 12k services, etc...drives me nutz, even if I do luv my KS..

Problem is, I couldn't sell this thing to anyone without fixing the clutch or discounting the bike. If I had the time I'd fix it myself.

sure is tempting at 13k brand new for that CBR though, knowing I'm not going to have the problems I've had with this KS (and continue to have to some degree, ie, clutch)
I know the temptation of a new machine is strong, and like you said if you sit on it your done, but think for a second what your doing. We all know the first model year of a new design is likely to be fraught with problems. Why volunteer to pay 13k to be a beta tester for BMW. Like I said before beta testers get the product for free, and just have to review it for the manufacturer. Unless that's the deal BMW is offering I would be careful before I jumped into a newly designed bike.

MOA Member #106320
2003 R1150RT Titan Silver
2008 K1200GT Dark Graphite
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2009, 8:34 pm
Enthusiast

"Why volunteer to pay 13k to be a beta tester for BMW."

I think he is talking about going to a Honda. I agree that my BMW beta tester days are over. I have even been thinking seriously down the other bike lines myself. Never thought I would go back to Yamaha or Honda once I went to BMW. After more than a decade on BMW I am loosing my loyalty.

All I use to do is ride my Honda. Now (for the last decade on three different BMW's) I worry about every little bit of cutting edge German technology failing me. Then being told "they all do that" or paying a fortune to get it fixed.

El Barto
Ride fast.......Get there before the accident!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2009, 8:40 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Barto
"Why volunteer to pay 13k to be a beta tester for BMW."

I think he is talking about going to a Honda. I agree that my BMW beta tester days are over. I have even been thinking seriously down the other bike lines myself. Never thought I would go back to Yamaha or Honda once I went to BMW. After more than a decade on BMW I am loosing my loyalty.

All I use to do is ride my Honda. Now (for the last decade on three different BMW's) I worry about every little bit of cutting edge German technology failing me. Then being told "they all do that" or paying a fortune to get it fixed.
Your right of course I thought he was talking about the new S1000RR, sorry

MOA Member #106320
2003 R1150RT Titan Silver
2008 K1200GT Dark Graphite
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2009, 9:27 pm

Nothing wrong with having more than 1 bike. That CBR is amazing on canyon roads and is still pleasant on freeways.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2009, 11:14 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008-K1200GT
Your right of course I thought he was talking about the new S1000RR, sorry
I saw something where the top speed of the BMW S1000RR was only 124 mph (200 kph) or so. That seems awfully low for a 450 pound 193 hp bike.

Found it: HERE. Sidebar, about half-way down on the right.

I don't expect it to be any Hayabusa killer at that speed.

Mack
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 2009, 12:27 am
Addict

I think its a typo, read 200 MPH!

Black stuff down, Shiny side up!______________________________
10 R1200RTSE
02 R1100S
07 K1200GT R.I.P.
86 K100RS Sold
07 R1200GSA Sold
07 Softail Heritage Sold
86 K100RS Sold
82 R100RS Sold
82 Suzi GSX1100 Sold
75 Honda 750/4 Sold
74 Yamaha XS650 Sold
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 2009, 3:39 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadicool59
I think its a typo, read 200 MPH!
I wonder about that since they show it as:
Top speed: 124.3 mph (200.0 km/h)

To do 200 MPH it would read:
Top Speed: 200 mph (321.87 km/h).

Maybe 200 mph is right, but it sure seems wrong in the article's sidebar though....

Mack

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode